Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

hey wildcat...

ya I could tell it has tons of steering...

ok.. here this might help. I know this sounds opposite of what you may think.. but going to a softer front and rear spring will slow the cars reaction.. and also depending on your temps outside there.. maybe go up to 37.5 in front and 35 in back but leave the same pistons.. use the inside holes on arms both front and back.. this also changes the leverage points and slow the cars reaction both front and back.. go inside on shock towers as that will make it more progressive in the suspension and feel better on jumps.

use the 25 deg. front block.. if you have the 30 on there it quickens the steering feel.

in back run your hubs forward.. this will give the most rear traction and also slow the rotation of the car in the corners allowing you to carve them more. same with running longer rear camber locations.

not sure what motor and gearing your using.. but if your using a shorty battery try running it all way back or with one small spacer behind it. I actually took a extra big pad and cut my own that are half as thick as the small ones for even finer tuning.

also on tire foams.. if your running a closed cell foam it will transfer the energy quicker.. you may try an open cell foam or a 2 stage foam. in fronts I actually really like stuffing in a truck tire foam and I just trim it to the width of the buggy tire first.. this puts more foam in the tire rounding it a little helpin it tract better and smooths out the corner speed even more as it rounds the tire a little more.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

oh and congrats to mikey Hudson who just won the nw nct rd 4 series up in Washington.. he beat some of the best drivers in the nw using a b5m . this is only his 4th time driving the car. I helped him get it dialed in and he is loving the car outdoors.
if he hadn't had electrical issues he would have won regionals with the car too.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

25+5 caster check
Rear hubs forward check (rm arms)
battery back check
rear shocks inside/inside check
open cell front check
I actually had longer rear camber links and longer fronts. this week I went to the "standard" camber links. I went from +3 to +4 on the spindles to try and calm it down and took the 1.4s out of the front. The car seemed to roll a ton with the 1.4s. I was lifting the inside front wheel.

I will try some of the things you suggested.

interesting going to heavier oil and lighter springs. I see where your going with that.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Twitch,
stiffer rear spring, softer front spring, softer oil in rear or more holes in piston, stiffer oil up front, long wheelbase, battery forward, add weight at the front.

You guys talk about twitch like its the same as removing steering. It's not.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What are the benefits of the captured ceramic thrust bearing from Avid over the stock one? Easier to adjust the diff?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearit
I have a b5m running on a clay indoor track that has a little push going into corners and does not have the same low end punch as the other 17.5's. I was told to lighten up the tranny with an aluminum top shaft, mip puc system, nova slipper, bfast diff and b5 front a arms and shock tower. Any suggestions or advise if I'm going in the right direction or additional mods. Thanks.
Some people on here aren't too kind. Any who, if you switch to flat front arms and tower it will only make it push more. I don't know how the traction is at your track but put a small foam closest to the motor to move battery forward a lil. Make sure your running the same brand tires front and rear and same compound
Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Where did you get the thin lead?

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
If you try what we are doing ?

Your ride will be a lot smoother and consistent in the corner.

More grip too...

BTW

my ride is at 59.6 oz ,1672

Lighter is not necessarily better...

More weight under the battery will help you more then lighter parts every where else on the car ..

Huge difference...a game changer in my book
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Are you guys running hubs forward with rm arms on the mid motor?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Prophet

well, imo not fighting with those tiny balls during the rebuild is nice.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by markt311
I am yes.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
Some people on here aren't too kind. Any who, if you switch to flat front arms and tower it will only make it push more. I don't know how the traction is at your track but put a small foam closest to the motor to move battery forward a lil. Make sure your running the same brand tires front and rear and same compound
I dont have push, but yeah. I tried 17.5 at stock weight and it lacked some kick for sure. If your going to run 17.5, you might want to drop some rotating mass. Also, taking weight out of the rear should add steering. It did in my RM car anyway.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by markt311
Start in the middle, rear motor
arm is already more forward then mid arm.

Jason, we had lots of the stuff around handy at the track.
Think you can purchase some at a roofing supply outlet.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have found that black frt with green rears is predictable and is alot more controlable mid to exit
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
PLEASE BE ADVISED BAD DRIVING TO FOLLOW. lol I decided to run both my MM and RM cars in mod tonight. Both cars gave me issues, but the issues were different. I ran the MM in heats 1 and 2, then switched to my RM car in the main. I used the same motor and same tires. The RM car pushed but was easier to drive and gave me a higher consistence and was .75 seconds faster per lap for a top 10 lap average. The top 5 averages were about the same. My hot lap came from the B5M, but is was a hand full to drive. Tons of steering and very twitchy. A poorly adjusted slipper in my RM car, made anything that needed instant power a fail. You will see me struggling with the step on step off and the short run up double on the right. I am still unsure which car I like the best. The MM is fun to drive and it is very aggressive and corners on a dime, but feel very unstable on jumps. Anyway, enjoy the poor videos of my poor driving.

BTW. I was runnign with Spencer Rivkin, Tanner Denny and Tommy Hinz. So of the 5 drivers in mod, 3 are factory team drivers....lol. Also, I may have punted them at one time or another...oops my bad.
A Main Pink B5 ream motor car
http://youtu.be/sreCdc5yjBQ

Qual 2 green/purple B5M... Also, I was a lap slower than my first qual with the MM car. The rear was loose.
http://youtu.be/XcfymT7wBto
And for the record, I never claimed to be a factory driver, lol. But we had a race recently with 68 entries in 17.5, and I finished like 32nd (while fighting my car). Normally I can finish in the top 15 when we have 35 guys entered on a club night. I was struggling with both cars last night. The clay at SRS is giving me fits. I either have way too much traction or not enough. I was talking to someone last night and they suggested clay slicks. They said, they just felt more consistent on the track than M4. Probably because the M4 might fold over in the corners. Also, I just wanted to show the difference of MM and RM on the same track and same layout for those trying to decide between the RM and MM cars. The RM car is still by far the easiest of the two to drive. But, if you want steering and lots of it, imo the MM is the way to go. Also, my RM buggy was 1525 without pucks and i had 20g of chassis tape on the car. My RM car is about 70 grams lighter than the MM car. If i had a shorty servo and pucks in my RM car, I would be under weight in a heart beat. Normally, when I am struggling with the MM, I throw the RM car down and its great...provided my slipper is not way off. I was slipping for a good 5 feet, lol. That is why I was having issues with jumps. My plan is to get the MM car where I want it, because it "feels" like it could be a much better car.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
PLEASE BE ADVISED BAD DRIVING TO FOLLOW. lol I decided to run both my MM and RM cars in mod tonight. Both cars gave me issues, but the issues were different. I ran the MM in heats 1 and 2, then switched to my RM car in the main. I used the same motor and same tires. The RM car pushed but was easier to drive and gave me a higher consistence and was .75 seconds faster per lap for a top 10 lap average. The top 5 averages were about the same. My hot lap came from the B5M, but is was a hand full to drive. Tons of steering and very twitchy. A poorly adjusted slipper in my RM car, made anything that needed instant power a fail. You will see me struggling with the step on step off and the short run up double on the right. I am still unsure which car I like the best. The MM is fun to drive and it is very aggressive and corners on a dime, but feel very unstable on jumps. Anyway, enjoy the poor videos of my poor driving.

BTW. I was runnign with Spencer Rivkin, Tanner Denny and Tommy Hinz. So of the 5 drivers in mod, 3 are factory team drivers....lol. Also, I may have punted them at one time or another...oops my bad.
A Main Pink B5 ream motor car
http://youtu.be/sreCdc5yjBQ

Qual 2 green/purple B5M... Also, I was a lap slower than my first qual with the MM car. The rear was loose.
http://youtu.be/XcfymT7wBto
And for the record, I never claimed to be a factory driver, lol. But we had a race recently with 68 entries in 17.5, and I finished like 32nd (while fighting my car). Normally I can finish in the top 15 when we have 35 guys entered on a club night. I was struggling with both cars last night. The clay at SRS is giving me fits. I either have way too much traction or not enough. I was talking to someone last night and they suggested clay slicks. They said, they just felt more consistent on the track than M4. Probably because the M4 might fold over in the corners. Also, I just wanted to show the difference of MM and RM on the same track and same layout for those trying to decide between the RM and MM cars. The RM car is still by far the easiest of the two to drive. But, if you want steering and lots of it, imo the MM is the way to go. Also, my RM buggy was 1525 without pucks and i had 20g of chassis tape on the car. My RM car is about 70 grams lighter than the MM car. If i had a shorty servo and pucks in my RM car, I would be under weight in a heart beat. Normally, when I am struggling with the MM, I throw the RM car down and its great...provided my slipper is not way off. I was slipping for a good 5 feet, lol. That is why I was having issues with jumps. My plan is to get the MM car where I want it, because it "feels" like it could be a much better car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.