Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud
From the photos, it appears that the Schelle comes with 4 slipper pads (2 in each color/compound), whereas the Avid Triad comes with 3 white slipper pads (all white).

Does the Schelle use an AE V2 slipper pad on the back of the spur gear like the AE VTS slipper? Or something else? What am I missing here? Is this another slight variation between the Avid and Schelle slippers?
Its for tuning. The red pads are more aggressive. The White pads have a softer feel. You pick 3 of the 4 and run them. It is/was common for guys in stock to run 1 red pad and 2 whites. Avid has the same pads, but yes The triad comes with 3 white. I prefer the 3 white for 17.5 buggy. For hotter motors or heavier cars/trucks I like to run 1 red and 2 white.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by gticlay
I had that problem with 2" turnbuckles (stock or B4 or JC 'buckles) so I would guess that's what you are using. Get the shorter one like the Lunsford set and you won't have tight cups. You'll probably need to get a fresh set of ends now.
You can prove the ball cups are not the problem .
Just pop a ball cup on a stud with out the Ti rod.
Will be smooth as butter.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Its for tuning. The red pads are more aggressive. The White pads have a softer feel. You pick 3 of the 4 and run them. It is/was common for guys in stock to run 1 red pad and 2 whites. Avid has the same pads, but yes The triad comes with 3 white. I prefer the 3 white for 17.5 buggy. For hotter motors or heavier cars/trucks I like to run 1 red and 2 white.
Ah, ok. So if you want to run 3 white pads on the Schelle, you'll need to buy an additional white pad to go with the 2 that it comes with, correct?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

happy day I will get my Lunsford ti front axal in the mail. pay day I get my motor a fantom apex 17.5 works motor.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by vwduud
Ah, ok. So if you want to run 3 white pads on the Schelle, you'll need to buy an additional white pad to go with the 2 that it comes with, correct?
correct. I like to run my diff loose, so the red pad was causing issue for me. Just remember the slipper needs to slip before the diff slips. I like 3 white pads, you may like 1 red and 2 white. It is a preference thing. But no mater what, the AE slipper are crap and none will ever convince me otherwise. If you just want to "lock" it down, the v2 works. Just crank it down and tighten the diff to prevent slipping. I also the AVID slipper is lighter than either the VTS or v2. So less work for your motor.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The tight ball cup problem is a known problem and has been fixed by many local drivers. Are local Associated driver told us to take the ball cup off the ball stud and polish the ball stud with scotch brite. (might get a few trails and errors to get the desired smoothness). When you pop them on get some needle nose and squeeze the ball cup back and forth (WHEN popped on). This should free up the car and in most case make your car handle better because the suspension was being bound up.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

i just polished my ball studs and cups together with toothpaste and used associated 50wt shock oil on threads when assembling and they are mint now.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 3srcracing
The tight ball cup problem is a known problem and has been fixed by many local drivers. Are local Associated driver told us to take the ball cup off the ball stud and polish the ball stud with scotch brite. (might get a few trails and errors to get the desired smoothness). When you pop them on get some needle nose and squeeze the ball cup back and forth (WHEN popped on). This should free up the car and in most case make your car handle better because the suspension was being bound up.
yes, all of this does help. I polished mine with 8 grit and the stud chucked up in my drill. And initially it was really smooth. But it has since tightened up again. I am sure with more time, it will be good. But... I broke a cup racing a couple weeks ago. And needed to replace the stud also. No biggies, but I think you need to polish all of your spare studs ahead of time, lol. because I was bound up again and it was bad. This is why I am going to just get the TLR caps/balls. Readily available, are always smooth and free and they are plenty strong. Sure I have to pop them off to adjust my links, but in all honest, now that I have a setup i like, that will be a very rare occasion. And I have been popping off cups since 86'. I think I can handle it, lol
Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I dont buy into WC's logic. I do understand that if the rod presses on the ball cup, it can cause binding. So....When I bought my Turnbuckles, I dodnt get the 2" ones. I got the 1 3/4 ones. I bought 6 of the lunsfords from my LHS. They were in bulk, so I could pick and choose. They still bind up. IMO, the effort is too great on the cups to make them good. Not saying you cant, because you can. Just not worth it to me.

First - did you put new ends on when going to the shorties? I really, really like the regular TLR ends and especially the TLR HD ends. You have to use the thicker turnbuckles with them but they are sweet if you drill a hole for the driver so there's no need to pop them off. That being said, I can only relay my experience to you - I tried the stock 2" turnbuckles first while I waited for ti ones. They bound and were tight. Then I put the shorter turnbuckles on the same ends and they still bound (I figured distorted from the long turnbuckles). Then I put new ends on and they were buttery smooth without any other change. Then I built a B5M with the shorter turnbuckles and they were buttery smooth. Until you, I haven't heard of another person going to the shorter 'buckles and new ends having a binding issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Legend

Problem I see occurring with others is they have a couple two or three tight ball cups right ?

They thread one ball cup a little further then the other . Only have to go three turns more then the other and when they adjust the rod it bottoms out against the cup making a bump inside the cup causing the cup to bind.

Got a tight ball cup ?

You will find a little bump inside that ball cup....replace for a new one.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Prophet

First - did you put new ends on when going to the shorties? I really, really like the regular TLR ends and especially the TLR HD ends. You have to use the thicker turnbuckles with them but they are sweet if you drill a hole for the driver so there's no need to pop them off. That being said, I can only relay my experience to you - I tried the stock 2" turnbuckles first while I waited for ti ones. They bound and were tight. Then I put the shorter turnbuckles on the same ends and they still bound (I figured distorted from the long turnbuckles). Then I put new ends on and they were buttery smooth without any other change. Then I built a B5M with the shorter turnbuckles and they were buttery smooth. Until you, I haven't heard of another person going to the shorter 'buckles and new ends having a binding issue.
I never used the 2" rods. I started with the 1 3/4 lunsfords. I have some new and never used ends. The steering link from the servo binds up pretty good also and it does not have a tie rod. and I polished the balls and pinched the cups. I am not really hating, as i love the car. But the squeaking from the binding cups is driving me nuts when I and checking ride height, lol. Yeah, the HD cups and ends would be nice. The tlr rods are too long. I think you would need the super duty lunsfords of the correct length.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I never used the 2" rods. I started with the 1 3/4 lunsfords. I have some new and never used ends. The steering link from the servo binds up pretty good also and it does not have a tie rod. and I polished the balls and pinched the cups. I am not really hating, as i love the car. But the squeaking from the binding cups is driving me nuts when I and checking ride height, lol. Yeah, the HD cups and ends would be nice. The tlr rods are too long. I think you would need the super duty lunsfords of the correct length.
If mine somehow start to bind, I'll go with the TLR HD as well. But they haven't yet...
Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

I had that problem with 2" turnbuckles (stock or B4 or JC 'buckles) so I would guess that's what you are using. Get the shorter one like the Lunsford set and you won't have tight cups. You'll probably need to get a fresh set of ends now.
Indeed I have the stock B4 lightweight on there for durability... will get shorter ones and new cups! Thanks everyone for your support!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Prophet

These look nice. I like the silver rings at the base to make it look trick.

http://avidrc.com/product/5/accessor...cessories.html
Old 05-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

how come nobody here is talking about the newly released hobbyking's turningy square packs..... they sound so good and is so cheap?! ($60) Now people would be torn apart between turningy AND smc square packs because they cost the same...!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.