Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I wish I could practice. Wednesday night racing is all I get. I might suck less if I had more than 3 packs of practice a week. My daughter will be joining yours in novice in a few weeks. Maybe they will have enough for a kids class. GL tuning that ball diff. I know the mod guys are pulling wheelies and traction rolling with the ball diff, so it can be done. They do run more weight though. Do you run the brass suspension holders?
Yeah I might only get an hour into of practice. I want to get this figured out. Very frustrating last night.

Yeah they need more kids. I feel bad when my daughter has to run in the novice class. She is getting better but will be good to see more kids.

I'm running the aluminum braces not brass. Once I think the dif is set I'll try moving the battery back some. I'm running it all the way forward
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DropPass
Yep... did all that. Cleaned with dish soap and warm water. Let it dry for a few hours before starting tape/paint. It dried for over 24 hours before I even started trimming and I didn't apply the stickers and Velcro strips for another couple of days. I used Tamiya cans to paint with very light coats. Probably about 4-5 coats of each color when it was all said and done.

I know I touched the inside a bit when applying the masking tape, so I wonder if that is part of the issue. I have never masked a body before and always just painted solid colors, so this is probably the problem.
It shouldn't be that big of a deal, you can try doing a final backing with enamel clear coat and see if that helps. I rough up every body I paint with a green scotchbrite pad, unless you are using chrome, it can only help. (also may clean up residue that isn't cleaned off with dish soap, I use windex to prep).
Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
I'm in the process of installing the aluminum C & D rear hinge pin holders. I'm using a 3.5/1 in the C holder. The D holder has me a little confused and there are no instructions. There are Left/Right arrows on these blocks. If the arrows are pointing away from each other/toward their respective hubs, it looks like it increases the rear toe in. If the arrows are pointed towards each other, it looks is decreases the toe in. But by how much? If I'm running 3.5 toe on the C block and position the D blocks pointing away from each other, how much total toe in am I running. It looks like a crap load, as in greater than 4 .
The instructions for both inserts is on the sheet included with the C set.
The arrows on the D inserts point at each other.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by splking1
Once I think the dif is set I'll try moving the battery back some. I'm running it all the way forward
i always run the battery in the back most position. Gives me the traction i need. There are 25-40 B5Ms at my local track and every single one i've seen runs the battery as far back as possible.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uclabruins89
i always run the battery in the back most position. Gives me the traction i need. There are 25-40 B5Ms at my local track and every single one i've seen runs the battery as far back as possible.
Yeah I tried that didn't work so well. I'm running the shorty packs that are 155 grams plus my car is lighten up big time in front. I had to add eight grams to the nose already
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Have u concidered the brass arm mounts then? Will add more weight and down low where u want it
Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

If you do that I would love to know what else you changed to get rid of the insane on power push.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default First time out

Enjoyed the new car my first time out money well spent! Ended up moving the battery forward to get some more on power steering. Seemed to help quite a bit without sacrificing rear end traction. If you are having issue with grip with the rear end try different tire/compound go slightly softer. I've been using gold dirt webs all around and the thing is glued to our track at A Main. My lap times weren't super amazing due to brand new layout but I can tell you it is way easier to drive than my 22 2.0. The B5m just seems so tame right out of box with very minor changes.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by splking1
Yeah I tried that didn't work so well. I'm running the shorty packs that are 155 grams plus my car is lighten up big time in front. I had to add eight grams to the nose already
hah, only 8 grams. I have 14 grams under the rack of my RM car just to keep from doing wheelies. Yeah, I remember that you had issues pushing after you went super light. You are/were under 1500 gram if I remember correctly. Have you tried a heaver battery? one of the 200 gram ones? I cant drive a super light car myself. I think my RM is like 1535 grams. I would assume your loss of traction is the weight you lost in the rear. Maybe even the increase acceleration due to less rotating mass. if you dont want to add weight in the rear, then moving the pack back is probably best or get the brass holders
Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
i had amazing grip with b5r front arms, b5r front tower, and b5r rear arms reversed left/right tonight. now i just need to keep my pistons from blowing out the eclips.

is anyone shimming the 'space' out of the stock pistons? i tried this -- but i think i over did it as 3 of 4 blew the eclip right off tonight ..
more grip then the gullwing, what kind of grip on your track?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Have the Hard front end , arms & nose plate.

Adding the Hard rear tower & arms tomorrow.
Still can't get the Hard front tower.

Leaving chassis brace & tray plastic.
WC what are you seeing from the hard to composite items, you running 17.5?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
i had amazing grip with b5r front arms, b5r front tower, and b5r rear arms reversed left/right tonight. now i just need to keep my pistons from blowing out the eclips.

is anyone shimming the 'space' out of the stock pistons? i tried this -- but i think i over did it as 3 of 4 blew the eclip right off tonight ..
I haven't heard of any e-clip problems lately but you could try traxass e-clips. We did that before when we were having a problem with them breaking.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is there an aluminum servo horn that works well with the new steering setup?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
I haven't heard of any e-clip problems lately but you could try traxass e-clips. We did that before when we were having a problem with them breaking.
thanks for the info Sean. i think the added pressure on the e-clip just caused them to stretch out.

its been nearly 20 years since i seriously tried (i'm awaiting the jokes..) to race 2wd buggy. i gotta say it is a lot of fun. my b5m is more than 1/2 second faster than my b4.2 --- just got to get it to survive the entire night. i was happy to see i could move my shorty pack forward a bit too without massive loss of rear bite.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cridd
WC what are you seeing from the hard to composite items, you running 17.5?
@ the track

Just got here, putting the hard rear arm & tower now.

I never even started with the kit plastic on the front .
Also the
Hard plastic is proving to be popular with some of my other team mates.
Thus why I'm adding the rear tonight.

On higher traction the Harder plastic car is more consistent & preditable when hammering the corners.

BTW
Only race mod , can't stand slow motors...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.