Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

A few parts came off my backorder list at Amain, including the suspension inserts.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help me wire my batteries!

Originally Posted by VictionOne
What battery packs are you guys using here?
I just bought two of these from hobby king for $35.00 ea.:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...APPROVED_.html

Only downside is that I ordered them on 4/18 and they just arrived today 5/1.

Questions:

I have zero experience with LiPos and brushless and there were no instructions included in the box. Can someone explain how I go about wiring these up to my ESC? The ESC already has two wires for the battery soldered on to it, but no connectors. Should I pull the wires off the ESC and use the ones that came with the battery (see picture)?

What is the third bullet connector for?

What is the little white connector attached to the small red and black wires for?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I still have a couple of b5m's left.
Does someone make a stainless screw kit yet that I am missing.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Out of curiosity do you think I could fit one of these 2200mah 3 cell heli packs in there?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DropPass

Questions:

I have zero experience with LiPos and brushless and there were no instructions included in the box. Can someone explain how I go about wiring these up to my ESC? The ESC already has two wires for the battery soldered on to it, but no connectors. Should I pull the wires off the ESC and use the ones that came with the battery (see picture)?

What is the little white connector attached to the small red and black wires for?

You are me 2 months ago. I was out of the hobby 8 years, I get back in and whats with all this lipo hoo haa? Now I get to pass it on.

This pack is high quality and made to have replaceable power leads so you can cut them as short as you want without ruining the pack. IT also makes it easy to wire them up in series for 4 cell use. If your ESC has no connector on it, I would pick a connector you like and use that on your ESC and all batteries. Some good high-current connectors are Deans T plugs, Traxxas connectors, and EC3 connectors. If you want to be old school you *could* solder the wires directly to your ESC but that ill make charging a nightmare.

If you look closely on the battery, there will be an embossing or indentation telling you which side is + and which is -. The third little bullet is for the cell sensor wire, that is only used for charging so you can leave it out while running.

In a nutshell, think of LiPo as recharable explosives. If you over charge them, or over drain them, they give you more BANG for the buck than you wanted. They are happy up to 4.2 volts a cell at which point they explode. And they are happy down to about 3.2 volts a cell at which point they explode.

To keep them from exploding the battery charger needs to know what voltage each cell is at. There are 2 cells but they're in series. So to get around that they have the 'sensor wire' which has wires connected individually to each cell. This allows the charger to balance the cells so they both get the same charge and arrive at the same voltage. Think "matched cells" only it does it electrically.

To make use of the balance connector you need a balance charger. There are 2 reasons not to charge LiPo on an old NiMH charger.
1. Nimh used a peak detection. voltage goes to 8.4, tapers off, it's charged. LiPo is linear. It goes to 4.2 volts/cell and at that point the charger reduces the CURRENT while keeping the voltage the same until each cell is at 4.2 steady, then it's charged.

2. LiPo chargers have the balance connector which allows them to charge safely without overcharging 1 cell because it charged faster than the other.

I would also advise you to charge at only 1C. That means 1 times the mah rating. A 4200mah cell like that should be charged at no more than 4.2 amps. A 2200mah cell at 2.2 amps, etc.

They can charge faster but you reduce the life significantly.

Lastly much like NimH, LiPo doesn't like to be left in storage at full charge. It also shouldn't be stored discharged. Leave it at about 60% if you're not using the pack for awhile.

If you don't have a LiPo charger get yourself one of these, they're $30 ($40 for AC version), and can charge up to 6 cells at up to 6 amps.
AC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Balanc...-4&keywords=b6
Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Is everyone using the front stock axels/hexes or the clamp on hexes? Can you also tell me why one is preferred over the other.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Legend

Drop

what ever you do , only use the harness included for charging only.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Is everyone using the front stock axels/hexes or the clamp on hexes? Can you also tell me why one is preferred over the other.
If the clamping ones were available to the masses I'm sure everyone would be using them. One reason is because you can buy a 10 mm hex for them. Which would allow you to run more than just a couple brands of wheels. If you switched over from a losi then you would be able to run those front wheels as well. I broke a stock front axle on a funky landing on a triple and now I use the Lunsford ones. They are awesome, very very light and extremely strong.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
If the clamping ones were available to the masses I'm sure everyone would be using them. One reason is because you can buy a 10 mm hex for them. Which would allow you to run more than just a couple brands of wheels. If you switched over from a losi then you would be able to run those front wheels as well. I broke a stock front axle on a funky landing on a triple and now I use the Lunsford ones. They are awesome, very very light and extremely strong.
Thx. Skeeter. I have both so I'll try them both.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DropPass

Questions:

I fly RC helicopters as well as race RC cars. The batteries for my heli's are much larger, much moe expensive and carry much more potential danger.

There also seems to be much more in depth discussion about using, storing, charging, etc. LiPO's LiFe's and batteries in the Heli hobby. In general there seems to more information shared and discussed.

Anyway, thought I'd share a couple links with you that will help you out with starting to build a good base of understanding these batteries.

First one is here https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
Some really good info here.

The next is the LiPo section from HeliFreak.com; which is a great source of information and one of the best on-line communities I've ever been involved in.

Here's that link… http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Should be plenty of good info in those links to help you out.

Just a word of caution; be careful and make sure you understand what your doing before you start charging and using your LiPp's. Spending a couple hours reading and asking questions could keep you from having a pretty bad experience.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
I talked to him at the track the other day and he said he's still on this setup.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/associa..._IRCR20140406/
The only difference was his gearing, 69/30 with the slipper "locked down"(Harston).
Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
the numbers face the shocks
So that would be to the rear of the buggy
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Clamping!
They are available if you search. I just nabbed the last hex and axle from Losi Part House yesterday. Google the part #'s 91408 and 91409.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chalk this up as a learning experience...

I have always cut out my rc bodies prior to painting them. In the painting tips section of the manual it states: "After the paint has completely dried, cut the body along the trim lines. I also read this in a few different places online.

So, I decided to give it a try. What a mistake! When I trimmed the body, the paint cracked and flaked all along my trim lines. I used Tamiya polycarbonate rattle cans. The body dried for just over 24 hours before I started trimming it. Did I do something wrong?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Ok, so the RM B5, what is the smallest spur I can use with a 31T pinion? I have a 31/72 now using an avid triad. I am looking to possible pick up a 66 and/or a 69 to move the motor more forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.