Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
Anyone else have a lot of play in the rear arms, specifically the rear inner hinge pins? Mine had almost 1mm of slop on each side. I made some shims out of factory team ball stud washers (didn't have any plastic washers) but wow that was a lot of play in the rear. Otherwise the kit has been great so far.
yeah, about 1mm with the plastic mounts. I had some tlr22 shims and used a .5mm on each. 1mm caused a little bind for me.

I just installed the AE alum top shaft and it is much free'er. Weight aside, there is definitely less friction in the drive terrain.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillPear
12" of 12g wet noodle weighed 2g less than 3 feet of the TQ 14g so yeah it made a big difference.
Actually I meant in motor temps or punch since the wire has more resistance
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yeah, about 1mm with the plastic mounts. I had some tlr22 shims and used a .5mm on each. 1mm caused a little bind for me.

I just installed the AE alum top shaft and it is much free'er. Weight aside, there is definitely less friction in the drive terrain.
Just to be clear those two comments are different topics right? I want to pick up the alloy top shaft...got to build another order. Was pretty happy that the 22t came with several non stock parts I was going to add (30 deg AL kick up, 3.0 deg LRC rear toe plate) so I have a few bucks I set aside.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigor
Sorry... I may have brought this up prior.

I'm not understanding the indifferent to negative claim from many folks about the stock VTS slipper. Weight aside... is it bad ? I've always thought the VTS was a nice upgrade in adjustment and holding up from AE's previous standard slipper. I was quite happy with the VTS upgrade going from a B44.1 to a B44.2 . The VTS also seems to feel just fine with no change in performance to me on my B5m.

What am I missing here ? I still haven't run a Triad/Nova slipper setup. Really that noticeable? I hate plunking down money if it's just going to feel the same to me in the end.

A couple months ago, I was got into a conversation with a couple highly skilled drivers (perhaps AE team drivers, perhaps not) here at home in OC that I trust. These 2 drivers did nothing but slipper testing for like 2 days straight. In the end, the standard AE slipper with the vented plates and high torque pads was the most consistent and preference of choice. In fact, they both still run that setup over all other options. Just something to think and add to the tuning options I suppose.
you'll understand after you try it
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Actually I meant in motor temps or punch since the wire has more resistance
Actually I'm still recovering from a LOOOOOOONG weekend at the Long Beach Grand Prix and haven't run it yet. Ron Schuur assures me that it will be unnoticeable, and I know that Sean Cochran is equipping all the new Reedy ESC's with 14g wire even for the Mod classes (I know that's not possible, a mod motor wont run on anything less than 4 gauge but what would those guys know anyway!)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillPear
Actually I'm still recovering from a LOOOOOOONG weekend at the Long Beach Grand Prix and haven't run it yet. Ron Schuur assures me that it will be unnoticeable, and I know that Sean Cochran is equipping all the new Reedy ESC's with 14g wire even for the Mod classes (I know that's not possible, a mod motor wont run on anything less than 4 gauge but what would those guys know anyway!)
Cool Thanks. My understanding is the 12 gauge is more of a help in stock than mod but i highly doubt i can feel it.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

I don't understand why a lower power motor is so critical of all things power related. like guys saying a 40C pack is fine for mod but you need 90c+ for stock??!?!? I think stock class guys just REALLY like spending money thinking it gives them an edge.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slappomatt
I don't understand why a lower power motor is so critical of all things power related. like guys saying a 40C pack is fine for mod but you need 90c+ for stock??!?!? I think stock class guys just REALLY like spending money thinking it gives them an edge.
From personal experience as somebody who actually has ran stock class for a few years. The higher C rated batteries are indeed an advantage! I recall back when the 55C packs just came out. Most guys where using 25-35C packs and I had just gotten my 55C packs. Our track had a big triple out of a 180* with a short run. I could clear it easily and maybe 1 other person could clear it once when I could clear it about 90% of the time! This is back when esc's didn't have boost and motors had fixed timing...

Now maybe in mod since you have all the power you need lower C batteries are preferred since they remove a lil punch. But in stock we get all the battery we can get, I actually prefer 100C packs right now!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigor
Sorry... I may have brought this up prior.

I'm not understanding the indifferent to negative claim from many folks about the stock VTS slipper. Weight aside... is it bad ? I've always thought the VTS was a nice upgrade in adjustment and holding up from AE's previous standard slipper. I was quite happy with the VTS upgrade going from a B44.1 to a B44.2 . The VTS also seems to feel just fine with no change in performance to me on my B5m.

What am I missing here ? I still haven't run a Triad/Nova slipper setup. Really that noticeable? I hate plunking down money if it's just going to feel the same to me in the end.

A couple months ago, I was got into a conversation with a couple highly skilled drivers (perhaps AE team drivers, perhaps not) here at home in OC that I trust. These 2 drivers did nothing but slipper testing for like 2 days straight. In the end, the standard AE slipper with the vented plates and high torque pads was the most consistent and preference of choice. In fact, they both still run that setup over all other options. Just something to think and add to the tuning options I suppose.
I may be making this too simplistic but I feel in order for a slipper to work the way it was designed is you have to have torque. It has to be able to slip at the exact moment the car begins to spin out because of the torque. Especially in a tight turn with a car almost ready to pass you on the outside because you are spinning out.
17.5 motors just do not have the torque. I have taken the new slipper and loosened the slipper to where the slipper gear thread is slightly inside the nut. Loose as hell because I can spin the slipper with my finger.
Then I hold both wheels and punch it and the motor cannot spin the slipper.
It almost seems that no matter where you set it doesnt matter to me.
In the end the only reason I really use the slipper for is for hard on power landings to save the drive train. Now with Triad and Schelle variants I am willing to try to see if they help. As far as Mod goes it will definitly make a difference.

Your comments please
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We ran slippers on 27 turn stock brushed motors back in the day. A 17.5 brushless definitely has plenty of torque.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Legend

The slipper does not just help control wheel spin when accelerating.

It also helps smooth entering the corners by smoothing out the weight transfer when slowing down.
VTS is quite capable of getting her done and

Proper adjustment & maintenance makes a bigger difference then the style slipper you choose.

Speaking of slipper maintenance, yesterday a team mate of mine showed off a slipper pad cleaner given to him by Hartson.
Did not get the name of the thing, sorry.
Somebody needs to post a image of as it is so kool and a must have item in anyone's pit.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

It also helps smooth entering the corners by smoothing out the weight transfer when slowing down.

Proper adjustment & maintenance makes a bigger difference then the style slipper you choose.

Speaking of slipper maintenance, yesterday a team mate of mine showed off a slipper pad cleaner given to him by Hartson.
Somebody needs to post a image of as it is so kool and a must have item in anyone's pit.
this?

http://shop.leadfingerrc.com/Diff-Co...l-LFR10089.htm
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Making me cry.....

Centro is good...

My luck ?

Owell....
Been away from RCTech for a couple of days. Giving credit where credit is due...You drove a clean consistent race, George. The only time I saw a turn-marshal touch the car was when it broke near the end.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My RM comes in today....cant wait
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Ok, this has never made sense any time it was posted. The slipper does not slip when accelerating, but does when slowing down? I doubt the slipper even slips when mashing the brakes. Slowing down the slipper should be doing nothing. And stuff like this, is what causes the flaming. Its not that George cant drive. It mainly the blind fanboyism and the random comments that defy reality. And a year ago MM was crap and would never be good, but now its the bee's knees. Why? Because AE started running MM......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.