Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am getting back into racing after a few years off (my last race vehicle was the original RC10T!) I will be racing at SDRC, and I have read that a 2wd buggy is the best vehicle to learn how to drive with, so I'm going with the B5 mm. Since I will need to buy absolutely everything you need to get started (ESC, radio w/receiver, servo, batteries, motor, tools, etc..), my question for you guys, now that you have seen the chassis layout, what would be your recommendations? (Price is not really an issue, more reliability) Also, I'm not concerned about upgrades, but when you are building a kit, is there anything that is usually replaced or upgraded? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thndrtygr
I am getting back into racing after a few years off (my last race vehicle was the original RC10T!) I will be racing at SDRC, and I have read that a 2wd buggy is the best vehicle to learn how to drive with, so I'm going with the B5 mm. Since I will need to buy absolutely everything you need to get started (ESC, radio w/receiver, servo, batteries, motor, tools, etc..), my question for you guys, now that you have seen the chassis layout, what would be your recommendations? (Price is not really an issue, more reliability) Also, I'm not concerned about upgrades, but when you are building a kit, is there anything that is usually replaced or upgraded? Thanks in advance.
welcome back. As stated before, the lunsford Ti turnbuckles are a must for me. those steel one on the car are crap and will tweak on your first day at the track. Aside from that, maybe an alum front pin brace and alum rear hexes. both are fairly cheap and easy to do. Tire? ask the locals at your track. Electronics? Well, that you will get 10000000 responses. since you dont seem to care abut cost, I will give you my list if I were to buy all new.

- MT4S radio (its not out yet, lol otherwise MT4)
- Reedy Black Box esc (also not out yet, lol. so i would say viper vtx10 or tekin rs gen2) both are small and well made with great tech support.
- Servo? Well the Protek 130ss is very fast with plenty of toque and Amain is really standing behind them for the warranty. I have a hitek 8360H that is also very good
- Battery? well, I dunno. No battery company I have tried is really all they say they are. But, of the ones I have tried, I would try the promatch 4500 80c for stock. turnigy shorties are ok also, but cheaply made.
- tool MIP 1.5mm and 2mm hex driver
- 5.5mm and 7mm nut drivers. AE is coming out with a nice short 5.5mm that will be great for the front shocks.

- transponder: get the mylaps hybid RC4, make sure its a hybrid.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see a lot of guys with Graphite side plates (Cavalieri) is this from the Centro kit or ?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Wildcat, I really appreciate it. Bear Down!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks Wildcat, I really appreciate it. Bear Down!
np, I came back from a hiatus a couple years ago myself. its a lot to get caught up on. Oh, I forgot the motor.... most of the name brand ones are decent, but I really like the Reedy motors. And for a charger. if your going to use a power supply, get the Powerlab 6, if your looking for a really good AC/DC The hyperion 0720i inet3 ad is very good.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I said it in a different thread earlier, buy the electronics that you can get support for locally. If only going to run 17.5, consider Schuur speed ESC/motor combo, Ron is always around to make things right.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks again, more great recommendations. One other question I had was should I run stock or modified? I assumed stock, because it's slower, and I guess that would be good for learning how to drive again. But I want to make sure I'm thinking about that correctly.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
welcome back. As stated before, the lunsford Ti turnbuckles are a must for me. those steel one on the car are crap and will tweak on your first day at the track. Aside from that, maybe an alum front pin brace and alum rear hexes. both are fairly cheap and easy to do. Tire? ask the locals at your track. Electronics? Well, that you will get 10000000 responses. since you dont seem to care abut cost, I will give you my list if I were to buy all new.

- MT4S radio (its not out yet, lol otherwise MT4)
- Reedy Black Box esc (also not out yet, lol. so i would say viper vtx10 or tekin rs gen2) both are small and well made with great tech support.
- Servo? Well the Protek 130ss is very fast with plenty of toque and Amain is really standing behind them for the warranty. I have a hitek 8360H that is also very good
- Battery? well, I dunno. No battery company I have tried is really all they say they are. But, of the ones I have tried, I would try the promatch 4500 80c for stock. turnigy shorties are ok also, but cheaply made.
- tool MIP 1.5mm and 2mm hex driver
- 5.5mm and 7mm nut drivers. AE is coming out with a nice short 5.5mm that will be great for the front shocks.

- transponder: get the mylaps hybid RC4, make sure its a hybrid.
This Airtronics combo looks good:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...472-combo.html

From what I have been told, the esc dropped a friends motor temp 30-40 degrees coming from an LRP Flow. The rx will work with the current MT4 as well.

Im probably going to go this route on my B5
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Amain just added the esc but not the combo. It is a wait and see for me. Let me know how it goes, like the idea of changing esc setting on radio.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
Amain just added the esc but not the combo. It is a wait and see for me. Let me know how it goes, like the idea of changing esc setting on radio.
My friend loves it compared to the flow. Everything stays cooler and he was able to add more timing in the motor for stock racing.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

wonder what going to a cf center chassis on the b5m would do, there is alot of talk about cf vs alu in the b44.2 thread lol
Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
What combo? I never heard Airtronics is making motors... 219 bucks for a ESC! Not sure what class your running in but you can get a Tekin RS spec 17.5 combo for under 200 bucks.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
What combo? I never heard Airtronics is making motors... 219 bucks for a ESC! Not sure what class your running in but you can get a Tekin RS spec 17.5 combo for under 200 bucks.
Combo with RX click link above.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Prophet

he was refering to the sanwa esc/receiver combo for built in telemetry. And the M12 can adjust its setting remotely from the transmitter. Nice, but the UI for it on the radio is about as good as the led cards with number mapped to a chart.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
he was refering to the sanwa esc/receiver combo for built in telemetry. And the M12 can adjust its setting remotely from the transmitter. Nice, but the UI for it on the radio is about as good as the led cards with number mapped to a chart.
Making adjustments from the transmitter might open up tuning possibilities. Though I don't adjust my speed control often I'd like it if I could change drag brake settings and toggle reverse on and off (for un-marshalled practice) from the driver's stand. Really involved racers could do much more.

How much range do you get with blue tooth like the Speed Passion stuff has?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.