R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree24Likes

Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #7561
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
But they also affect handling. They're a risk vs. reward tuning option, left for each person to decide which is best for them. My question to those looking at them would be this, if you're crashing hard enough to worry about breaking the hard parts, are you good enough to see their changes/benefits anyway?
I know that was the case for hard parts on the b4, but AE says they are a durablity enhancement in the descriptions for the B5 parts. So far I only have a hard Front tower as bendy shock towers kind of bother me, left the rear stock, figured whatever I could do to get more rear traction while our new layout grooves in would be best.

http://www.amain.com/Team-Associated...r-Hard/p275178

This is an optional Team Associated Factory Team Front Shock Tower, in Hard material. This shock tower is for use with either the ASC91398 or ASC91399 Flat Front Arms. The hard composite material offers both higher stiffness and added durability. It also allows for greater race precision on high traction surfaces or in higher ambient temperatures.
AKA Racing
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #7562
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
I know that was the case for hard parts on the b4, but AE says they are a durablity enhancement in the descriptions for the B5 parts. So far I only have a hard Front tower as bendy shock towers kind of bother me, left the rear stock, figured whatever I could do to get more rear traction while our new layout grooves in would be best.

This is an optional Team Associated Factory Team Front Shock Tower, in Hard material. This shock tower is for use with either the ASC91398 or ASC91399 Flat Front Arms. The hard composite material offers both higher stiffness and added durability. It also allows for greater race precision on high traction surfaces or in higher ambient temperatures.
The hard parts are NOT more durable
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #7563
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
The hard parts are NOT more durable
Not even close. Only thing I have broken on mine is a hard front arm. Went back to stock and have taken harder shots and no breakage.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #7564
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:

My post didn't have anything to so with what AE claims. I didn't even know what they claimed until you quoted them from Amain.

I'm not debating the durability of the hard parts, that's not an issue for me. I was simply pointing out the risk vs. reward when it comes to tuning the car and that there is a difference between the hard parts vs. stock when it comes to handling.

I've never put harder plastic and durable in the same sentence, so maybe AE needs to define what they mean by "durable"...Less prone to wear, maybe. Less likely to break, I doubt that. IMO

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #7565
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I kinda figured, harder parts (ie: shock towers) for track tuning, but I'm sure your gonna give up durability somwhere along the line with them.
Jeepy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #7566
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anybody here from the Tennesse, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky areas?

Visiting the inlaws near Tupelo MS. From Oct11-17 looking for a race during that time. Seems most tracks in those areas run on sat's the 11th is up in the air what time I will make it to the area so I am looking for something running sun-fri or late on the 11th.

Posted in the regional forums but not much response. Hoping someone here can help.
This will be for my b5m and b44.
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #7567
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Spent alot of timing searching and coming up with multiple answers and need some advice before tomorrow. I just converted both of my buggies to MM. Went out and practiced last night and these were horrible handling. I used the flat arms with rear tower and rear b5r arms. My setup is basically to the book minus the arm conversions. Only other thing i can think of is i used 3+2 on the back hinge mount. Im running on outdoor dusty large 1/8 scale track. Big technical parts with multiple turns!! Can be very loose!! Running with calibers on rear or goose bumps or dd's!! Ribs on front!!! My problem is the rear is so loose!!! No grip at all!! Both buggies just will not hook!!! I need some help before racing tomorrow.... Thanks wildcat 1971 for ur input also!!
deftones.jt@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #7568
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Spent alot of timing searching and coming up with multiple answers and need some advice before tomorrow. I just converted both of my buggies to MM. Went out and practiced last night and these were horrible handling. I used the flat arms with rear tower and rear b5r arms. My setup is basically to the book minus the arm conversions. Only other thing i can think of is i used 3+2 on the back hinge mount. Im running on outdoor dusty large 1/8 scale track. Big technical parts with multiple turns!! Can be very loose!! Running with calibers on rear or goose bumps or dd's!! Ribs on front!!! My problem is the rear is so loose!!! No grip at all!! Both buggies just will not hook!!! I need some help before racing tomorrow.... Thanks wildcat 1971 for ur input also!!
i know this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but tracks where Calibers are the tire of choice are typically not midmotor tracks.
rc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #7569
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
My post didn't have anything to so with what AE claims. I didn't even know what they claimed until you quoted them from Amain.

I'm not debating the durability of the hard parts, that's not an issue for me. I was simply pointing out the risk vs. reward when it comes to tuning the car and that there is a difference between the hard parts vs. stock when it comes to handling.

I've never put harder plastic and durable in the same sentence, so maybe AE needs to define what they mean by "durable"...Less prone to wear, maybe. Less likely to break, I doubt that. IMO
Yea I wasn't trying to argue with you, just didn't know if they changed up the material or something for the hard stuff. I didn't see the same thing mentioned on AE's site, maybe some just some color Amain added. I suppose the results from the track are the real truth.
AKA Racing

Last edited by Mizchief; 08-29-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Mizchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #7570
Super Moderator

Quote:
Some MM diehards should be able to help. I can't because I wouldn't run a MM in those conditions. But that's just me.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #7571
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Dusty + Technical = RM track. Not that you wouldn't be able to get a MM car to work... even if you could, I doubt your laptimes would be as low as with a RM car on a track like that.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #7572
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ran better laps in a MM. Problem is my buddy sold it so i was unable to copy his setup. He did not build it either so he has no idea what was done to it besides the b5r arms. His was glued to the track. When i drove it, it was almost like cheating!!
deftones.jt@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #7573
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yea I wasn't trying to argue with you, just didn't know if they changed up the material or something for the hard stuff. I didn't see the same thing mentioned on AE's site, maybe some just some color AE added. I suppose the results from the track are the real truth.
I didn't take it that you were But my original response was to the comment "hard parts = easy to break" Which is likely true and I have doubts about any claims of them being more durable, other than possibly wear. Again risk vs. reward on a tuning part. And if a persons driving skills leave them worrying about braking parts can they notice the changes that come with the hard parts to begin with.

Risk, you might break more parts. Reward, you may see improved handling..

Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #7574
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Ran better laps in a MM. Problem is my buddy sold it so i was unable to copy his setup. He did not build it either so he has no idea what was done to it besides the b5r arms. His was glued to the track. When i drove it, it was almost like cheating!!
Certainly is possible! But typically speaking, on a super loose / low traction track, better lap times will be had with RM.

If your traction is literally 180 degrees different, then you most likely a) have a tire issue (not broken in? put on backwards?), or b) something binding causing a severe break in traction.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #7575
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Certainly is possible! But typically speaking, on a super loose / low traction track, better lap times will be had with RM.

If your traction is literally 180 degrees different, then you most likely a) have a tire issue (not broken in? put on backwards?), or b) something binding causing a severe break in traction.
I was going to ask - what is the proper method for "breaking in" tires?
hcopp is offline   Reply With Quote