Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rpbill
We run soft/super soft tires at our local track. It's a damp hard packed dirt surface. Is anybody using AKA foam in the front tires?
Bill
If you running Typo's then yes on the Closed cell foam,

Originally Posted by rigor
In 2wd buggy, seems most guys run the stock/free open cell rear tire foam cut down to 3/4 (including pros). This actually feels just about the same to me as a closed cell front foam. Seems like I get better front traction this way as well.
+1
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm just getting back into it after about 12 years away. Back then I don't remember closed cell foam. Can someone explain the difference in handling characteristics between closed cell and open cell? Back then we used to use open cell on everything and we would trim the top corners at an angle. Is that not the thing to do anymore?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has or can someone do a weight bias test on there 5r with a saddle forward vs 5m with a shorty in the back position ? Thnx
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone know what parts from a B4.2 also fit the B5M?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chamelion
Anyone know what parts from a B4.2 also fit the B5M?
Springs, wing, wheels
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Slipper and shocks
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Losi818
I am seeing some of you talk about 17.5's in the B5M chassis, what's the point?
Why wouldn't you run it in 17.5?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Cuz stock is a great class, it keeps it even and really Depends on consistantency and not messing up
Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by predu
So i went thru 8 front wheel bearings yesterday. Did some measuring found the front clamping hexes are 9.85 mm when clamped and stock front axles are 10.12. Basiclly associated f'ed up and made them too narrow and it destroys the. bearings.and no my stock axles dont have the too tight issue.
The axle being too short should never destroy a bearing with the proper size crush tube in the middle.

The stock axles are too long so they're sloppy. I would guess that's why the clamping axles are shorter.

You may want to shim the crush tube on the inside if you have small OD 5mm ID shims.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

It will be interesting this weekend at Cactus. I know that many many locals are running the stock class with the B5RM car. I am interested in seeing how well the RM and MM AE cars do at the CC race. At last years CC, AE didnt have a MM car. And even after the Centro came out, the factory stock drivers pretty much stuck with the B4.2. Rivkin was still attending major races with the Centro in mod and the b4.2 in stock. But will that trend continue with the new B5 and B5M. It is hard for me to gauge how well the TLR and K cars do MM against the B5RM locally, because those cars barely exist. So many AE sponsored guys here, that the mains are packed with AE cars. CC will bring out fast guys from all over, we can see what configuration and car dominates. This might be the first "big" race for the 17.5 class since the MM invasion last year.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DirtRacer151
I'm just getting back into it after about 12 years away. Back then I don't remember closed cell foam. Can someone explain the difference in handling characteristics between closed cell and open cell? Back then we used to use open cell on everything and we would trim the top corners at an angle. Is that not the thing to do anymore?
Generally speaking, closed cell doesn't break down as fast as open cell. Closed cell also maintains a uniform shape and diminishes on tire deformation under heavy loads. For high grip, I feel closed cell is a must but some are using rear open cells cut down to 3/4 width in fronts to actually diminish traction under heavy loads to minimize the chance of traction rolling.

Closed cell also differs between brands - AKA, Proline, Jconcepts to name a few. This adds another variable in tuning and can be very frustrating or rewarding depending on setups. For me AKA takes some time to break in but will last the longest and stays the most consistent. If I am forced to glue up a set right before a race I will run the Prolines because they don't really require a break-in period but collapse quicker over time.

There are more variables to consider but this should give you a general idea.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
It will be interesting this weekend at Cactus. I know that many many locals are running the stock class with the B5RM car. I am interested in seeing how well the RM and MM AE cars do at the CC race. At last years CC, AE didnt have a MM car. And even after the Centro came out, the factory stock drivers pretty much stuck with the B4.2. Rivkin was still attending major races with the Centro in mod and the b4.2 in stock. But will that trend continue with the new B5 and B5M. It is hard for me to gauge how well the TLR and K cars do MM against the B5RM locally, because those cars barely exist. So many AE sponsored guys here, that the mains are packed with AE cars. CC will bring out fast guys from all over, we can see what configuration and car dominates. This might be the first "big" race for the 17.5 class since the MM invasion last year.
I'm putting my money on the MM to take 17.5 at CC. Corner speed is the name of the game in 17.5. If They can get the B5M down to weight and figure out how to keep heat out of the motors (locals were actually rigging up fans to run on the motors to keep them cool on there centros and it worked) They will be dialed! I've put my 22 2.0 MM up against the B5 and won in 17.5 on a medium bite track. I can't wait to get my B5M dialed in. I also bought a B5 just in case... Wink Wink

Last edited by Naters; 03-10-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fun
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by xTotalghost
Cuz stock is a great class, it keeps it even and really Depends on consistantency and not messing up
ill give you the consistency part but not the "it keeps it even"
mod keeps it even and fair because you cannot cheat because anything goes. stock buggy is the biggest cheater class in existence
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barge
The axle being too short should never destroy a bearing with the proper size crush tube in the middle.

The stock axles are too long so they're sloppy. I would guess that's why the clamping axles are shorter.

You may want to shim the crush tube on the inside if you have small OD 5mm ID shims.
Yes too short of an axle will cause this.there is no room for shims, that is not the problem. the problem is the distance from the lip on axle to inside of aluminum hex is too short, it pinches the bearings when you tighten the wheel. i just talked to nick at associated and they are taking care of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.