Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Legend

Mm already has taken over the Nw because all the indoor are med to med high traction.
Also the traction is only to grow stronger as the years go by.

This insures the mm will be the most popular in the area.

Outdoors with moon craters & dust bowls the rm will still be a better choice.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Here is another part of the MM vs RM discussion, and that is track design. This track shown here is nothing but free flowing medium speed corners. Nothing in this layout really requires a lot of instant traction to the rear tires. All I saw were a couple of cars with their rear-ends sliding all over the place.

For example, here is a race at my local track recently... All mid-motor cars you will see. But we have probably 10x the traction. If you put the surface from your track, with our layout... mid motor cars wouldnt' be able to make it around the track. RM would dominate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJc9qbQg73A
100% agree.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trixter91
You said it pro drivers run on indoor high grip tracks. MM might work for a few people outside but its a high grip car. Theres no debate.
This notion of a certain orientation being suited for one type of surface over another makes absolutely no sense. If a car is well balanced and stable, it is this so on ANY surface and the only things you need to do to make it work on all types of surfaces is fine tune via suspension changes and selecting the right tires. If you get both these things correct a car should be equally fast regardless of track type.

The biggest difference with all these RC cars is that people are free to run whatever tire they wish and some cars will simply have a superior combination of rubber that will allow the car to go better, so people assume it's the configuration that's superior.

Certainly MM vehicles will have superior characteristics to that of RM vehicles and visa versa, but a well designed MM car should be faster than a RM simy because of balance and weight distribution. The current crop of MM cars however are not what I'd consider properly designed MM cars as they basically just flipped the drivetrain around to change the displacement of weight further forward. And while that's the ideal thing to do, the drive train should also maintain a neutral balance from side to side which NONE of these rig kits offer.

In the b5 I still see the motor offset a bit more to the left which is something I expected they'd change being as Centering kits made a significant improvement in that area.

Either way, whether MM or RM, a car that is set up well is set up well and nw I'll rip on any track provided you run the right tires and suspension setup.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Well, I would guess the AE team will be running the b5...I dunno if they have production run RM or MM cars though. But it would be a good race to show off the new car. Hopefully, cav and maifield get some solid wheel time before the reedy if they have b5's
would be cool to see RM in RM and CAV in MM.....and let the battle begin!!! (sarcasm font)

Going to be a good race event with all this new AE stuff. Might even go down and check it out in person if family wants to get away.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Legend

dup
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
MM has already taken over the Nw because all the indoor is med to med high traction.
Traction is only going to grow as time goes by.

Insures MM domination for many,many years...
decades!!! LOL.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

I imagine there will be a lot of Centro for sale now.

Last edited by jmoneym; 01-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
Reedy race will be interesting to see who is running RM and MM if 2wd for all manufacturers.
On any given day I can walk into OC_RC and see many of the Reedy racers practicing for the race and 99% of them are MM. I was also told that many of the AE team drivers wont have a B5 by then, I don't know if that includes the "Ryan's" though, but I do know that Cav won last Sunday's club race with his Centro. Also to get further off the B5 rm discussion, the last time I saw Ryan Dunford and his 22SCT he was putting it in MM configuration.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I'm not selling mine, figure get the B5RM built and run it and centro than may jump on new MM if I get bored. Kind of a wait and see for me on the new MM since I just got it.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Some of you guys are so full of crap that I can't contain myself. The diffs in these cars are all basically made from the same parts. The 22 diffs suck and always will because of the materials. If you buy BFast parts for a Kyosho diff, an AE, and a TLR how could one be smoother than the other? Same parts. The design is basically the same! The only exception is that the diff with more balls theoretically should be smoother because there is more surface contact between the balls and plates and each ball [theoretically] has less psi of pressure being exerted on it. I'm not an engineer but this is not rocket science either. What I'm saying is that nobody's diff is better than anyone elses barring Durrango which is a little different...I only built a couple of those. Its been a while. I don't remember anything other than the weird cir clips and what happened if you put them in upside down. Anyway, a diff is pretty much a diff. If AE decides to step up the quality of the materials then there could be a substantial difference. More balls should be better as you should be able to get more clamping pressure on the diff rings.

On a side note, mid motored cars, pretty much all the Kyosho cars, have been doing well locally in all traction types. I'll probably convert everything to mid motor eventually.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 34x17
I agree the TLR forum support is the best in the business but do note that you have had two different AE design engineers answer questions about the cars on this thread and that seems perfectly adequate to me at this early stage.

I think manufacturers have to walk a fine line because because when you hear about all of the tinkering the pro drivers and engineers are doing with their cars to up the performance it can be perceived as addressing weaknesses in the car, rightly or wrongly.

Their seems to be alot more clarity when rep answer questions immediately the way Losi 22-4 thread is going. Less speculation. Still think T/A especially should read the two threads to understand. Its tough to decide one way or another till you actually see them. Incredible amounts of pre-orders being done for all companies. Great news for the hobby!

If the Losi 22-4 is competitive, its a big game changer. No more mm vs rm controversy. A huge simplification/win for all of us rcers. Other manufacturers will also switch.

Thats what I'm most interested in answering. A motor balanced within the chassis with the batteries at the back. Theory makes sense.

If it can win equally against mm and rm, this is a HUGE game changer design.

I'll hold off purchase decision for a month after its released to allow setup learning curve.

Make sense?

When is the next big pro race either here or in Europe?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Some of you guys are so full of crap that I can't contain myself. The diffs in these cars are all basically made from the same parts. The 22 diffs suck and always will because of the materials. If you buy BFast parts for a Kyosho diff, an AE, and a TLR how could one be smoother than the other? Same parts. The design is basically the same! The only exception is that the diff with more balls theoretically should be smoother because there is more surface contact between the balls and plates and each ball [theoretically] has less psi of pressure being exerted on it. I'm not an engineer but this is not rocket science either. What I'm saying is that nobody's diff is better than anyone elses barring Durrango which is a little different...I only built a couple of those. Its been a while. I don't remember anything other than the weird cir clips and what happened if you put them in upside down. Anyway, a diff is pretty much a diff. If AE decides to step up the quality of the materials then there could be a substantial difference. More balls should be better as you should be able to get more clamping pressure on the diff rings.

On a side note, mid motored cars, pretty much all the Kyosho cars, have been doing well locally in all traction types. I'll probably convert everything to mid motor eventually.
Not saying your wrong, but your not right. Try a MIP diff, my month old one is smoother than a brand new AE, don't know why but it is.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
The ball diff in the DEX210 uses 3mm balls, and uses 14 of them. It's the single best diff I have ever run (too bad about the rest of the car), and it's "tuning window" didn't feel any different. Actually.. i think it might of been slightly more forgiving. Im excited to hear that AE went with a 14 ball diff. I assume it will be 2.4mm ?
lol. So true. My ball diff on my 210 lasted just about forever. The shocks were great too. It was just so much easier to tune one of my other buggies to the track.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by braderb
Their seems to be alot more clarity when rep answer questions immediately the way Losi 22-4 thread is going. Less speculation. Still think T/A especially should read the two threads to understand. Its tough to decide one way or another till you actually see them. Incredible amounts of pre-orders being done for all companies. Great news for the hobby!

If the Losi 22-4 is competitive, its a big game changer. No more mm vs rm controversy. A huge simplification/win for all of us rcers. Other manufacturers will also switch.

Thats what I'm most interested in answering. A motor balanced within the chassis with the batteries at the back. Theory makes sense.

If it can win equally against mm and rm, this is a HUGE game changer design.

I'll hold off purchase decision for a month after its released to allow setup learning curve.

Make sense?

When is the next big pro race either here or in Europe?
The 22-4 is a four wheel drive buggy, separate racing class altogether.

The Reedy Race is January 23rd-26th @ OC_RC
Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

B5 & B5M for me. Take both to new tracks and let track dictate which one to use. Here in the Georgia area, it's med traction at best but mostly low to medium traction all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.