Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If that were the reason, then why post the following?
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I understand & know the answer.
Just want to hear another view.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Terminology
  • Compression movement: Shock piston traveling upward toward the top of the shock
    Rebound movement: Shock piston traveling downward toward the bottom of the shock
  • Tapered piston: One side of the piston face is flat; the other is tapered / angled
    Flat piston: Top and bottom of the piston face are flat
Difference between tapered and flat pistons
  • A flat piston will travel at the same speed in compression as it does in rebound (given equal force is provided in both directions)
  • A tapered piston will travel faster in the direction of the taper/angle.
For example, a tapered piston with the taper facing down will travel faster in rebound than it will in compression, allowing the user to tune the rebound and compression movement independently.

Piston Hole Size
  • Larger holes allow more fluid to pass through the shock piston, which allows the shock to move faster.
  • Smaller holes will have the opposite effect, causing the shock to move slower.
Piston Hole Count
By changing the number of holes in the piston, a similar damping level can be achieved with different amounts of "pack." Pack is the feeling of hydraulic lock in a shock when the fluid flowing through the holes reaches a certain speed. It can be used to keep a car from bottoming out during harsh landings.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Legend

Con...

Anyone knows the tapered side moves faster in the oil.

How does the taper effect the performance on the track ?

What happens to the handling compared to flat ?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Fluid dynamics tells us that regardless of the angle of the taper, only X amount of fluid can travel through the gap between piston and shock body at any given time. A SMALL benefit of the taper may be to give laminar fluid flow perhaps allowing more fluid flow than a turbulent flow.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Actually I think the taper works well in the rear of most 2WD cars, if the track is bumpy and technical. But if you run too light of a rear end, it will bounce a lot, so you can try going 1 step up in oil wt when you switched to tapers and try it.

As for the front, I think the standard is better, as I find the faster rebound in the front tends to make the front light and more prone to hopping around on acceleration down a straight. Whereas the std piston with a slower rebond tends to keep the front end a little lower. I also don't like running any rebound in the front shocks for this reason.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Con...

Anyone knows the tapered side moves faster in the oil.

How does the taper effect the performance on the track ?

What happens to the handling compared to flat ?
quit hijacking this thread you only have a Mid b5. lol
Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Bubonic
discussed already on the b4 thread many times...
HAHA not for me I have the knowledge
Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Feels goods to get through an entire race day without breaking anything and believe me it wasn't for a lack of trying.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by predu
i guess i am a sloppy guy too then. my esc had to mount at an angle to fit right. oh well
i'd post a pick but for some reason it always says upload failed.
Error: Upload failed. Too sloppy.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Personally, I'm not sold on tapered pistons because the tighter we get shock body and piston tolerances, the less fluid is going to be blowing by the sides in general and, in theory, the less effect the taper will have. Additionally, all it is doing is changing rebound vs compression damping a little for the bumps, and that already is a tunable feature with pack. Left to right damping in the corners is largely unaffected because for any compression you have on one side, you have rebound on the other side, so it's a wash.

I've tried tapered vs untapered pistons of the same hole size/count in 1/8 scale and I honestly could take or leave the difference/couldn't tell -- it just felt like a smaller difference between picking another hole count/size combo. In other words, grabbing a tapered piston, vs a flat, vs a blank and drilling it just felt all like classic damping tuning of normal damping vs pack. I didn't feel that I got anything revolutionary from the taper other than just another option, so I tend to not use them.

Part of me also really hates the idea of relying on piston blow by as a tuning aid, much like rebound tuning with bladders. Uggg. Now that shaft deflection is much less in the V2 BB shocks, tapers are obviously affected, but how? Are they more effective, less effective. I just prefer to stick to super tight pistons in an emulsion shock and play with hole size/count for damping. The rest, to me, is just snake oil and fad.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

built my B5m kit last night but had on problem....One of the blue adjustable shock collars would not screw onto any of the shocks. Seems there is a problem with the threading on the collar as all the other collars screw onto the shock bodies just fine.

I faxed a request in to AE. Hope they can send me one ASAP.....I want to race! Or does anyone know where to buy them?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
A flat piston will travel at the same speed in compression as it does in rebound (given equal force is provided in both directions)
A tapered piston will travel faster in the direction of the taper/angle.

This is already wrong because the surface area that is avaible on compression is bigger then it is on the rebound.

The 3mm shaft and 12mm bore in this case make the avaible surface on rebound is 6.25% smaller.

Thus even the flat piston has a lower resistance on rebound than compression.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
This is already wrong because the surface area that is avaible on compression is bigger then it is on the rebound.

The 3mm shaft and 12mm bore in this case make the avaible surface on rebound is 6.25% smaller.

Thus even the flat piston has a lower resistance on rebound than compression.
lol, I copied the info from AE's website. Surely the internet would not lie, rofl. But from what MIP and others have posted in the past, they all seem to hold to this theory. Faster rebound with the taper down. But I have heard this surface area theory before also. As well as the shape and soft the piston hole and how the volume of the piston hole changes if the taper extends over the hole. The math and theories will make anyone on this threads head hurt. The accepted theory with the Major RC companies says faster rebound with taper down. Since I dont have any test equipment, I do rely on the information sources on the web. The big question is, can I feel the change on the track? No I cant. My track is way to inconsistent for you to do back to back testing and get a consistent result.

here is the link to AE's information on tapered pistons.

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l...Shock_Pistons/
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Legend

Save the fancy theory's ,anyone that has tried knows the rebound is speeded up with a taper* just by pushing the piston up & down with the spring removed.

*Mounted taper piston flat side up inside shock.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by proraptor
built my B5m kit last night but had on problem....One of the blue adjustable shock collars would not screw onto any of the shocks. Seems there is a problem with the threading on the collar as all the other collars screw onto the shock bodies just fine.

I faxed a request in to AE. Hope they can send me one ASAP.....I want to race! Or does anyone know where to buy them?
Shock collars should be unchanged from the B4.2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.