Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i assume the diff is bigger?

i use gear diff cause of ease of mantanence and i race outdoors.

or do you think they will be making another diff with the rtr.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
The physics are undeniable. Before long it will be a near-standart at most indoor tracks. Mid motor is here to stay, even if it doesn't make rear motor go extinct.
Maybe...it does hit the turs a little Bette, IMO. The MM cars are limited to high bite, astro turf, and carpet. Indoor tracks are not very popular in my area. RM motor will be here to stay and continue to be the most popular, IMO. Look at the post and view count for each.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Mid motor is here to stay. It definitely works better when traction is really good but its pretty incredible how fast a mid motor car can turn period. There are 2 reasons why people try mid motor, don't like it, and then switch back right away. Set up and driving style. You have to be patient. Set up is a little harder. Once your car is set up properly you have adapt your driving style accordingly and for some that's harder than setting up the car. All you need to do is drive a real mid-motored car....you'll feel it right away.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pittsdriver
I found that interesting too. I would like to see a rear motor class, and mid motor class compete on the same track to really believe they achieve the same lap times.

PDF of all lap times.

Ragarding the A-main, First, Second, Fifth, and Sixth were all running mid-motor. On a med-low traction, tight indoor course.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Also, I really think AE is getting it right. I preordered a RM B5 and it was cheap! I'm a total Kyosho fanboy and in terms of RC I can afford whatever I want and I'm here to tell you I'm tired of paying nearly $500 a roller. F that. Kyosho stuff is better quality, no doubt but after Tower coupon the B5 was a hair over $200! I could by 2, paint, and tires and I'd still be spending less than on a K-Car roller! Last, the B4.2 is still competitive. The B5 should be better.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by manson98
You can get away with the mid-motor on less than ideal track conditions it just takes some tuning on the car and also tunning of the brain. A lot of people keep saying mm is only good for this or that and the pros are only going to run this to promote it. Their wrong. Pros run to win.And as we've seen even if that means not having a production made car.
But what most people are not realizing is you need to drive most mm cars different than you do a RM. I know a lot of people have driven RM for many many years and it is like learning to drive all over again for me when I went mm but has been a fun and really rewarding process learning something new.The new and having to learn a new way is tough for a lot of people and makes them have a bad taste. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks but can be rewarding.
If you go mm be patient learn the car and driving style.running 3 packs or even one week with a new kind of car isn't necessarily going to be long enough. Some pick it up quick some others like me it takes alittle longer.
Thank you. I am thinking I will get the mid motor and then I will have both a mid and a rear buggy. My son and I can take turns driving each so that we can experience the different driving styles.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

looks like a tight fit for rx and esc
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by langsky
Thank you. I am thinking I will get the mid motor and then I will have both a mid and a rear buggy. My son and I can take turns driving each so that we can experience the different driving styles.
I agree with your plan--and I think you'll be happy that you went that route!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
TLR just went through this with the 22. I recall there being lots of problems and many went to the 12 ball gear. Hard to tell how much the extra 2 diff balls contributed. I am of the opinion that the majority of their problems were caused by the choice to save $$ and spec cheap chrome-steel balls (I also think they believed 14 balls would let them get away with this) and a flood of newer racers coming from SCT racing without several years of experience with ball diff's.
I read a bit earlier that the TLR guys made a determination that the force exerted by the diff rings on 14 balls was more detrimental than the force exerted on 12. They stated that the 14 ball diff actually had a smaller tuning window than the 12 therefore requiring constant tuning to keep the diff where they wanted it. So to summarize they felt that the 12 ball diff stays "in tune" better than the 14. Basic common sense would lead one to believe that the 14 ball concept would last longer however--and maybe that's why the appeal to the mass public??
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The ball diff in the DEX210 uses 3mm balls, and uses 14 of them. It's the single best diff I have ever run (too bad about the rest of the car), and it's "tuning window" didn't feel any different. Actually.. i think it might of been slightly more forgiving. Im excited to hear that AE went with a 14 ball diff. I assume it will be 2.4mm ?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
Here is another part of the MM vs RM discussion, and that is track design. This track shown here is nothing but free flowing medium speed corners. Nothing in this layout really requires a lot of instant traction to the rear tires. All I saw were a couple of cars with their rear-ends sliding all over the place.

For example, here is a race at my local track recently... All mid-motor cars you will see. But we have probably 10x the traction. If you put the surface from your track, with our layout... mid motor cars wouldnt' be able to make it around the track. RM would dominate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJc9qbQg73A
Old 01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

cant you put something on the track to break it in?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

A lot of 22 people are buying the XXX diff gear so they can run only 12 balls. Doesn't mean 14 won't be good-erer on the B5 but the TLR diffs definately have some problems.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I just read talk it up tuesday. I found it interesting that Cav said Rm will be used less and less, and that his MM car has been just as fast as his RM pretty much everywhere.
Reedy race will be interesting to see who is running RM and MM if 2wd for all manufacturers.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Well, I would guess the AE team will be running the b5...I dunno if they have production run RM or MM cars though. But it would be a good race to show off the new car. Hopefully, cav and maifield get some solid wheel time before the reedy if they have b5's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.