Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Butch Mann
Just curious why if mm is only just as fast as the rm car and the rm car also works on loose tracks why change?
Pro drivers are paid to push a product. Its the flavor of the week. I mean if you really examine this closely youll see unless you drive at a track where team drivers run at the MM car wont work the way its designed to. I mean dont get me wrong it looks cool but. How many high grip outside race tracks are there. Just my opinion.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Just curious why if mm is only just as fast as the rm car and the rm car also works on loose tracks why change?
Cav does not race outdoor blownout tracks. That being said, I race on outdoor track and I got my doors blown off by a guy running a MM 22 last weekend. He is the only mm at the track and his car was fast in the corners and seemed planted. He was by no means a local fast guy, but his car looked so good, that I am looking to try out MM once the b5m is out.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Cav does not race outdoor blownout tracks. That being said, I race on outdoor track and I got my doors blown off by a guy running a MM 22 last weekend. He is the only mm at the track and his car was fast in the corners and seemed planted. He was by no means a local fast guy, but his car looked so good, that I am looking to try out MM once the b5m is out.
You said it pro drivers run on indoor high grip tracks. MM might work for a few people outside but its a high grip car. Theres no debate.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have never run mm, so I cant really debate it. I just said the this local went MM a few weeks ago and is flying with it. Soooo much corner speed. That being said, the local TLR drivers run RM outdoors, so yeah.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedLeader
You know you're in a thread for a 2wd car that's not out yet correct?

Once the car is out the support from AE is great on top of actual experience from the rest of us vs all the pre release banter...

You might want to check out the B44 thread and just ask questions..plenty of club guys with tons of laps that can tell you all about it.
I agree the TLR forum support is the best in the business but do note that you have had two different AE design engineers answer questions about the cars on this thread and that seems perfectly adequate to me at this early stage.

I think manufacturers have to walk a fine line because because when you hear about all of the tinkering the pro drivers and engineers are doing with their cars to up the performance it can be perceived as addressing weaknesses in the car, rightly or wrongly.
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So being that I am one of those "on the fence" people, do you think I would be happy with the B5M? I currently race B4s and will be keeping one of them for my son. I generally race on medium bite tracks, but occasionally I run on a lower traction dusty track. I just can't decide between mid and rear.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

seems like the west guys are running more mid and the east guys run rear for the most part.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by langsky
So being that I am one of those "on the fence" people, do you think I would be happy with the B5M? I currently race B4s and will be keeping one of them for my son. I generally race on medium bite tracks, but occasionally I run on a lower traction dusty track. I just can't decide between mid and rear.
rear.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Its meant to be 'push brake'. It means using some brake on the entry to each corner to help turn in. I remember reading once that he uses very little drag brake but modulates the brakes manually into every corner.
I started the 'push brake' method a while a couple of seasons ago. It's not entirely different than using brake on an 8th scale(The vehicle dynamics are different though).

A combination of ESC brake strength, brake exp. and brake endpoint makes the entry braking smooth. This combination makes it difficult to spin the car on entry(unless you grab full brake). The advantage to this method is that you can set your car up a little "tighter" to have more forward bite.

My motors make a slight whining sound when I grab the brake and it makes guy's at the track think something wrong with my car. lol

Meanwhile on the other side of town(), I able to get in and out of the corners before they've hit mid corner.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trixter91
Pro drivers are paid to push a product. Its the flavor of the week. I mean if you really examine this closely youll see unless you drive at a track where team drivers run at the MM car wont work the way its designed to. I mean dont get me wrong it looks cool but. How many high grip outside race tracks are there. Just my opinion.
I think there is more mid to high grip 1/10 racing happening at this point and loose dirt is not attracting 1/10 electric as much. These looser tracks are doing 1/8 and SC racing at this point because they're so much easier to drive in those conditions. 1/10 buggies used to sell significant numbers to bashers (still can't believe we use that word..) but now there are more and better choices for that use.

Mid will develop much faster now that pros and companies are committed to it. I predict TLR re-does their gearbox in the near future to keep up.

Re: the push-brake discussion. I found that gluing a piece of silicone fuel tubing to the back of my brake trigger to make the spring stiffer in that direction helped a lot with feeling the trigger travel since it's so short and that side of the finger is so much less sensitive.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

I am thinking this mid motor thing is going to be a fad. I fell for it too.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Bcholka
To all the ball diff experts out there--interesting that AE went from 12 up to 14 balls--the TLR guys didn't seem to be big fans of the 14 ball diffs--wonder how this will play out.....
TLR just went through this with the 22. I recall there being lots of problems and many went to the 12 ball gear. Hard to tell how much the extra 2 diff balls contributed. I am of the opinion that the majority of their problems were caused by the choice to save $$ and spec cheap chrome-steel balls (I also think they believed 14 balls would let them get away with this) and a flood of newer racers coming from SCT racing without several years of experience with ball diff's.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Afun
I am thinking this mid motor thing is going to be a fad. I fell for it too.
The physics are undeniable. Before long it will be a near-standart at most indoor tracks. Mid motor is here to stay, even if it doesn't make rear motor go extinct.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bcholka
Very good point indeed!! The dedicated "mid's" run a 4 gear tranny. I believe the "theory" is the 4-gear allows the motor to now spin forward which provides an inertia benefit.
I also know through experience with the X-Factory that they redesigned the rear arm geometry to better assist with rear traction.
So to summarize I think the cvd-bind, the rear arm geometry and the 4 gear tranny all benefit the dedicated MM design.
What intrigues me about the B5M is they went to the gull-wing front arms. They stated that these arms worked great on the mid while the rear benefitted more utizlizing straight arms. Am very interested to experience this--sounds like yet another evolution in these awesome mid-motor designs!!
As a side note--people shouldn't criticize any company that offers dedicated RM or MM designs. For the SERIOUS racer this is the only way to go.
I still think the biggest advantage to a dedicated mm chassis is getting the weight in the right spot with the battery placement. Inline batteries on the mm conversion cars get the rear weight to about 62% max, while a side by side saddle arrangement can get the weight up to 65%+ on the rear, which is close to what a RM is with the battery all the way forward. I struggled for a while with my mm dex to get it to hook up before I chopped up a chassis to get the weight in the right spot. Instant difference. That's when I learned weight distribution is key.

I think people will be surprised when they try the b5m on surfaces they wouldn't normally think to run MM, especially if they tried a convertible car before.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by langsky
You can get away with the mid-motor on less than ideal track conditions it just takes some tuning on the car and also tunning of the brain. A lot of people keep saying mm is only good for this or that and the pros are only going to run this to promote it. Their wrong. Pros run to win.And as we've seen even if that means not having a production made car.
But what most people are not realizing is you need to drive most mm cars different than you do a RM. I know a lot of people have driven RM for many many years and it is like learning to drive all over again for me when I went mm but has been a fun and really rewarding process learning something new.The new and having to learn a new way is tough for a lot of people and makes them have a bad taste. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks but can be rewarding.
If you go mm be patient learn the car and driving style.running 3 packs or even one week with a new kind of car isn't necessarily going to be long enough. Some pick it up quick some others like me it takes alittle longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.