Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Captcha
WE IN HERE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE?

BTW JC fins turnbuckles are dialed.

On a real note, I ran the 3mm front spindle without the 3mm ackerman and the car was great, but felt a little lazy getting in to precise turning. That may be why they run the extra 1mm shim on the ackerman, I didn't have any at my disposal. It would turn on a dime mid corner and exit, but "hesitated" getting to that point. Really not sure how to describe that any better, it still turned, and did not push, just wasn't as sharp as the mid to exit.

Still messing with the setup though, going to try a few things out here soon that will either be terrible, or great.

On another note I broke my first part, sorta. I caught a nail that holds a pipe in, and it pulled my front skid plate threw one of the screws...
Have u tried the 30 degree kick up? I am at the same place you are in tuning with steering. The manual says the 30 degree increases initial turn in significantly but I actually have no experience with this option. Going to try it today at practice.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Think for 10 seconds?

I wouldn't go so far as saying it's the only reason but if you don't think the opportunity to sell proprietary products at a high price is a priority in product development then you are woefully niave.

They saw the shorty battery make a lot of $$ for Losi before the aftermarket came in and made it a standard.
I dunno. There is nothing terribly proprietary about a square. Or a lipo battery. Or a square lipo battery. Especially one that can be easily replaced with two smaller squarish batteries and a cable between them that is already sold by countless companies.

Proprietary technology by definition is technology that someone is claiming an ownership right in -- meaning they would seek exclude others from using, manufacturing or selling the technology.

In this case AE is not asserting any legal right against anybody that would make square batteries, nor have they created an artificial barrier to entry into the market. E.g. a special battery/esc connector they might patent. Or a chassis that wouldn't hold a saddle or stick -- ROAR rules helped ensure that would not happen.

Maybe the square just made sense to AE -- splitting 2 cells into two boxes with a cable in between is pointless and needlessly complicated/inefficient on the C4.2 and the B5. But racers want the option to run larger higher capacity batteries in their buggy.

There is nothing evil about this. It is a fairly pedestrian example of an innovation making a company profit ... and yes AE obviously does (and should) consider whether an innovation, no matter how simple or obvious, will be profitable before investing in the effort in taking it to market.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have not tried the 30* plate yet, I was going to go from the 0 to the 5* hub inserts first, then try the 30* plate and see if there is a difference.

I love testing and tuning so this is the fun time. I get bored when the car just works great.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaylow215
trying this out after the shorty pack
You do realize that anytime you lengthen the capacitor wires that it makes them less effective. Of course depends on what class you run but just sayin.....
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Captcha
I have not tried the 30* plate yet, I was going to go from the 0 to the 5* hub inserts first, then try the 30* plate and see if there is a difference.

I love testing and tuning so this is the fun time. I get bored when the car just works great.
The hubs were the next place I was going after kick up. I am actually running the 2 degree spindles and it made a significant difference. Now off power turning lacks a little. Feels almost there...
Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jaylow215
trying this out after the shorty pack
did you shove a 12/14awg wire in the servo wire tunnel? How can the battery sit flat on the chassis with that underneath it?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 34x17
I dunno. There is nothing terribly proprietary about a square. Or a lipo battery. Or a square lipo battery. Especially one that can be easily replaced with two smaller squarish batteries and a cable between them that is already sold by countless companies.

Proprietary technology by definition is technology that someone is claiming an ownership right in -- meaning they would seek exclude others from using, manufacturing or selling the technology.

In this case AE is not asserting any legal right against anybody that would make square batteries, nor have they created an artificial barrier to entry into the market. E.g. a special battery/esc connector they might patent. Or a chassis that wouldn't hold a saddle or stick -- ROAR rules helped ensure that would not happen.

True, it's not truly proprietary, no more so than the short pack that Losi brought to market (there were smaller capacity packs at that weight in longer lengths available). Still, if many racers decide to buy packs from AE of this size that aren't split down the middle, it proves out. A smart company would not attempt to force a truly proprietary battery size unless they were supremely confident that it resulted in a competitive advantage that could not be answered with a conventional configuration. There's also that bit you mention about the rules plus winning sanctioned racing being their #1 marketing engine..

Maybe the square just made sense to AE -- splitting 2 cells into two boxes with a cable in between is pointless and needlessly complicated/inefficient on the C4.2 and the B5. But racers want the option to run larger higher capacity batteries in their buggy.

There is nothing evil about this. It is a fairly pedestrian example of an innovation making a company profit ... and yes AE obviously does (and should) consider whether an innovation, no matter how simple or obvious, will be profitable before investing in the effort in taking it to market.
I never said there was anything evil about it. I made the point that "Associated would like to sell square batteries" and somehow, someone took it like an insult to their mother.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
did you shove a 12/14awg wire in the servo wire tunnel? How can the battery sit flat on the chassis with that underneath it?
I saw the same thing. Looks as though the servo and transponder wires run on top of each other with the battery wire next to them in the slot. Assumed he cut the ae battery pad to space the battery up over the wires. Thought it was I kinda cool way to do it.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Mounted my hobbywing with the wires facing rearward though. Thought it was cleaner
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread-image.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bcholka
Gotta love a good 'ol fashioned lipo battery debate on this thread!! Let's switch to some esc hatin' next!! Please chime in!!
Oh, btw--has anyone heard that Associated has a mid motor buggy coming out?!?!?!
What turnbuckles will fit?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
What turnbuckles will fit?
Awesome!!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Im confused... To me on both cars why is the angled ball cup on the outside steering rod pointing toward the front of car rather than to the rear?
My reasoning is this; when your steering is hitting the stops that ball cup should be facing rearward so in effect it can reach around the rim and not rub on it due to hard turning forces.
Of course we have seen all the pics with it facing forward so there is another engineering reason to it but I dont get it......
Please 'splain Lucy?!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

It is angled that way so the link will clear the shock at full lock.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BHammer002
Mounted my hobbywing with the wires facing rearward though. Thought it was cleaner
Some serious toe out baby just kiddin
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Im confused... To me on both cars why is the angled ball cup on the outside steering rod pointing toward the front of car rather than to the rear?
My reasoning is this; when your steering is hitting the stops that ball cup should be facing rearward so in effect it can reach around the rim and not rub on it due to hard turning forces.
Of course we have seen all the pics with it facing forward so there is another engineering reason to it but I dont get it......
Please 'splain Lucy?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.