R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/780905-team-associated-rc10-b5m-mid-motor-thread.html)

Crash217 02-16-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TC5Driven (Post 15160290)
I agree with this statement 100%. I drove a B5M for almost two years. I am not an "A" main driver ever. My son also had a B5M and is a first class "A" main driver. He upgraded to the B6D when it came out and continued to be an "A" main driver and convinced me that if I upgraded to the B6D I would be an "A" main driver. To this date I have never made the "A" main nor did my lap times increase. The moral of the story is once you hit your plateau of driving skills, a new buggy isn't magically going to make you faster. If you just feel it is time to upgrade to the latest and greatest then by all means go ahead, but it won't make you wickedly faster. :nod:

Heresy and a plague on both your houses! We need them new cars to go fast! Just their mere existence is stealing 10ths of seconds from us lap after lap, race after race, day after horror filled day!

Just kidding. I got my B5M a few years ago about 3 months before the B6 came out but never built it. Finally got around to it once a local track was up and running. Still cracks me up how much some people change cars while i'm just tooling along, middle of the pack with the oldest car in the building running pretty lousy electronics by todays standards.

platgof 02-17-2018 06:06 AM

Thanks, I need some encouragement. My soldering really cost me the last time I raced this. I have since replaced the wand and tip on my Hakko, and it works great now. Can't wait to go again. Someone mentioned the front hubs were feeling loose and it looks like the plastic inserts will wear out and cause some slop. The rear hubs are having the same problem as well. What are you guys running in mod? I am currently using an 8.5 in mine, and it is fast, but thinking of going with a 6.5? Too much for the car?

platgof 02-17-2018 06:19 AM

Will the B64 rear gull wings fit this car?

King DORK 02-17-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by platgof (Post 15160710)
What are you guys running in mod? I am currently using an 8.5 in mine, and it is fast, but thinking of going with a 6.5? Too much for the car?

No clue where your driving skills rate, but a 6.5 is way too much motor in a 2wd buggy for all but elite level drivers. Unless you're topping out half way down your longest straight or find yourself pinning the throttle for most of the race, a lower turn motor isn't going to make a driver faster. Usually yields the opposite result. If you have access to a 6.5 it wouldn't hurt to try one out, but if you already find your 8.5 "fast" you probably won't like it.

tvih 02-17-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crash217 (Post 15160301)
Still cracks me up how much some people change cars while i'm just tooling along, middle of the pack with the oldest car in the building running pretty lousy electronics by todays standards.

Yeah, I'm still kinda kicking myself for buying new SCTs when I hadn't even raced the old ones. Now I have new cars but still in the slowest 20% of racers in the series so what was the point? :p On the upside probably no need to upgrade for pretty much as long as I can keep the current cars running.

platgof 02-17-2018 07:10 PM

I will probably stick with the 8.5 for the next race. I ordered some new plastic for the hubs, mine are getting a bit worn.

Andrewodz 02-18-2018 02:19 PM

Hi just bought a second hand B5m fact light set up for mod. Can anyone tell me a basic pinion and sour gear to use for stock 17.5 on a dirt track. Cheers

TC5Driven 02-19-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewodz (Post 15161760)
Hi just bought a second hand B5m fact light set up for mod. Can anyone tell me a basic pinion and sour gear to use for stock 17.5 on a dirt track. Cheers

On the 3 gear tranny I was running a 69 spur and 30 t0 31 pinion. 4 gear should be about the same.

King DORK 02-19-2018 02:54 PM

Are all y'all that are running 17.5 running fans too, or are any fine without. I know to monitor temps, but if everyone says a fan is absolutely necessary then I might as well see if one will fit under the body, which is unlikely, lol.

urnotevenwrg2 02-19-2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by King DORK (Post 15162669)
Are all y'all that are running 17.5 running fans too, or are any fine without. I know to monitor temps, but if everyone says a fan is absolutely necessary then I might as well see if one will fit under the body, which is unlikely, lol.

A fan is usually used to help the motor from heat fading towards the end of a run. You could gear up more, and get more top speed out of a motor, but that would only really be beneficial on a really large open track. Also, if the fan fails when you have it geared up a bunch, it could cause you to overheat your motor.

skinned 02-20-2018 12:51 PM

I just got a b5m lite...I haven't had a buggy since the b2...I need some big giant knobbies..like badlands or some big spikes..i cant seem to locate any..can someone please point me in the direction of some?....I need to tare up some plants and freshly planted black dirt loamy gardens with my 8.5...
thanks

urnotevenwrg2 02-20-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by skinned (Post 15163631)
I just got a b5m lite...I haven't had a buggy since the b2...I need some big giant knobbies..like badlands or some big spikes..i cant seem to locate any..can someone please point me in the direction of some?....I need to tare up some plants and freshly planted black dirt loamy gardens with my 8.5...
thanks

Schumacher has some crazy tires that would probably work well in grass and loose dirt.

Mason 02-20-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by skinned (Post 15163631)
thanks

Check out panther rc tires. They have a mini pin and a step pin

platgof 02-22-2018 07:20 PM

Just changed out the caster block and rear hubs to tighten it up some, did very little to help, but should be good to go for awhile. I did install the Thiekle set up from 2015, that required some work. I need to get this to a track and try it out, maybe next week.

xxx123 03-05-2018 03:19 PM

Guys i have a chance to install the Shapeways LayDown Kit, what are the necessary changes to the set up? I feel i got way less side and forward bite after the changes..Also, do you think Grey front spring and Black rear spring is too much of a difference?