R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree23Likes

Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #21166
jcr
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
What are you going to be using it for? Oval or off-road? Either way if you have plenty of rear traction, a laydown transmission from shapeways will move the motor weight forward an 1Ē or so. I race oval on carpet and just installed one canít wait until Sunday so I can see the difference.
Indoor offroad open category or stock
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #21167
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr View Post
also do you recommend 4 gear or 3 gear transmission is i have the option right now
I use a 3 gear. Iíve never used a 4 gear yet. I have a 4 gear trans but have never installed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
I run 1s Trinity D4 motors on 2S without issues.
I donít want to say yes and then it fries or something.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #21168
jcr
Tech Regular

ok got any goo basic setup that i should start with for carpet offroad?
Old 11-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #21169
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr View Post
ok got any goo basic setup that i should start with for carpet offroad?
Start here. Lots of good setups:

Team Associated B5 & B5M Setup Sheets
SLO county race likes this.
_danimal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #21170
jcr
Tech Regular

anyone got a short servo installed? The wires on my Savox is getting in the way of the servo mounts
Old 11-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #21171
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I cut the back of the servo case a little to allow the wires to exit the rear
frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #21172
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I put a Xpert 3431 low profile in mine. Dremeled the servo mount slightly for clearance.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 AM   #21173
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a question on shock rebuilds for the b5m (v2 shocks). How do I tell when the o-rings need replacing? Is there a check (like returning to ride height from being compressed or lifting the car)? Should I just put new Orange o-rings with green slime, or swap out for x-rings? Thanks

Last edited by Tubbers; 11-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Tubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #21174
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbers View Post
I had a question on shock rebuilds for the b5m (v2 shocks). How do I tell when the o-rings need replacing? Is there a check (like returning to ride height from being compressed or lifting the car)? Should I just put new Orange o-rings with green slime, or swap out for o-rings? Thanks
Usually just good maintenance to replace them after a certain time period, every month or 2 club racing. But if you go longer periods of time you will start to notice some play in the shock shaft, little bits of oil seeping onto the shaft, air building inside the shock after a bit of time, all indicate bad o-rings.

The standard red o-rings are fairly cheap and should be replaced fairly often. You can also upgrade to the x-rings for a couple dollars more, which seal better and last a little longer. Always install with green slime as it helps to keep the o-rings from swelling.

Also look into replacing the plastic shock parts around the o-rings every 2-3 o-ring swaps, they will start to wear out as well. For those cases buy a V2 shock rebuild kit. You can buy the rebuild kits with red o-rings or x-rings.
SLO county race likes this.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #21175
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys for the help, I was able to get two B6D's from tower for $210 ea + $60 credit. My son and I will both be building kits for the first time! One B5M FL I got was actually a B5M so it's being returned and the other is now for sale.
Justin805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #21176
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin805 View Post
Thanks guys for the help, I was able to get two B6D's from tower for $210 ea + $60 credit. My son and I will both be building kits for the first time! One B5M FL I got was actually a B5M so it's being returned and the other is now for sale.
Awesome, enjoy the process with your son!
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #21177
Tech Rookie

Hello! This thread is filled with so much information I probably forgot most of it. My 4 year old son is getting into rc cars and I thought I should learn and finally get myself a good car or truck.
I started wanting a SC truck, then the b4, and then a Losi. After comparing this that and the other thing I found this thread. I liked the look of the B5M and it became a contender. After reading the first 1300 pages on here I picked up a used B5M on fleabay. It arrived today, and I finally read the last 112 pages. I can not wait to pull it out and start to tinker tonight. Thanks for all of the info and convincing me to buy the B5M!
Crazyybikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #21178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyybikerdude View Post
Hello! This thread is filled with so much information I probably forgot most of it. My 4 year old son is getting into rc cars and I thought I should learn and finally get myself a good car or truck.
I started wanting a SC truck, then the b4, and then a Losi. After comparing this that and the other thing I found this thread. I liked the look of the B5M and it became a contender. After reading the first 1300 pages on here I picked up a used B5M on fleabay. It arrived today, and I finally read the last 112 pages. I can not wait to pull it out and start to tinker tonight. Thanks for all of the info and convincing me to buy the B5M!
It's refreshing to read posts such as the last two about folks so pumped about the hobby and their cars I often talk to people that never seem happy with what they have, always chasing something they're never going to find. I thought about getting a B6D for the coming year, but instead my B5M is in pieces on the floor ready for some maintenance and a few changes. It'll be a fun year racing and running toy cars with my kids. I'm contemplating not even racing myself, just going full pit Dad and fill in marshal. We'll see how it goes. I've loved RC cars ever since I got to drive one in the mid-80's. I tell people they are toy cars, but they are also science, engineering, math, and communications as well. The cars and the hobby are what you make them
SLO county race, 5tone and RazorRC like this.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #21179
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im running an older car that i have in an oval open class locally. Im looking for some pointers on setup from some of you that have used this car in this application. Anything will help thanks.
Nspenc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #21180
DJH
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
It's refreshing to read posts such as the last two about folks so pumped about the hobby and their cars I often talk to people that never seem happy with what they have, always chasing something they're never going to find. I thought about getting a B6D for the coming year, but instead my B5M is in pieces on the floor ready for some maintenance and a few changes. It'll be a fun year racing and running toy cars with my kids. I'm contemplating not even racing myself, just going full pit Dad and fill in marshal. We'll see how it goes. I've loved RC cars ever since I got to drive one in the mid-80's. I tell people they are toy cars, but they are also science, engineering, math, and communications as well. The cars and the hobby are what you make them
it really is nice to see posts about people enjoying this for what it is for most people, a hobby. i too started racing in the 80's, first car was a gold pan RC10. i have been in and out for the past few years, but hoping to come back again shortly.
jbrow1 likes this.
Futaba 4PX
Savox servos
DJH is offline   Reply With Quote