R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree23Likes

Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #21136
LJH
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a bit of an update, I received the Dirt Hawgs on Friday and glued them up Friday night. First observation is that they are big and look a bit goofy, second observation is that the insert if soft leading to a pretty squishy tire.

Saturday morning I ran them in front of the house and proceeded to traction roll twice, I dropped the rear ride height a bit and that seemed to help. I also found them to not be very progressive on asphalt and if you tried to get into the power to early the B5M would lift the inside rear wheel and "diff out". I think this is because the tire/insert is so soft and the tire folds over under load. When I do "diff out" the tires balloon like crazy, kind of wishing I had put a layer of tape inside them. I played with the diff a bit and went a bit tighter then I had had it and that helped a small amount.

Yesterday I ran down at the beach and the outcome was much better. The parking lot is packed crushed rock and dirt. The Dirt Hawgs were hooking up pretty well and in straight line acceleration were lifting the front wheels when hitting a bump or undulation. I also had times where I was able to hold a pretty decent drift and they felt progressive. On the packed sand of the beach itself they did OK and the suspension got a workout running with all the undulations, it was actually super fun and really showed how much better the suspension is on the B5 compared to the old RC10, the B5 was just so much more composed on the bumps.

The last thing I can comment on is wear. I ran 6 packs through the B5M this weekend and the tires barely show any wear at all where as with the previous tires they would have been bald by this point.

In closing the Dirt Hawgs do not handle nearly as well as a true race tire But I think some gains could be made with a firmer insert and maybe a layer of tape to keep the extreme ballooning at bay. With that said for my purposes they work and I will not go broke keeping tires on it. Once these are done I will try another pair and see if firmer inserts help at all.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #21137
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
If you don't need the maximum amount of steering throw, you can install those screws and put washers behind them to adjust how far they stick out. The steering knuckle will hit the screw at full steering lock and limit your maximum steering throw. Some people dial out steering throw using their radio, but having an actual surface for the steering hub to bottom out and rest against provides a more consistent steering feel by reducing wheel chatter.

If you are on a typical 10th scale track, leave them off for maximum steering. If you run oval, on large 8th scale tracks, or don't have any tight turns you might want to install them.
Ok, now I get it.
D1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #21138
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default B5m Fronts from 12mm Hex to Bearing Wheels

I have several of the bearing front tires mounted from my B4.1, what would be the best way to convert a B5m to use the bearing front wheels?
tomkatn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #21139
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take a look at shapeways.com you can convert to imperial front axles using a dex210 conversion insert.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #21140
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Shapeways

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GQK83EH5X/0017-b5-b5m-front-dex210-axle-inserts?optionId=39991256&li=marketplace
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #21141
Tech Rookie

How do you subscribe to this thread?
CK1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #21142
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1983 View Post
How do you subscribe to this thread?
At the top of the thread, click on "Thread Tools" and there is an option to "Subscribe to Thread".
axoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 AM   #21143
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Starting to really get a hang of this buggy almost to where I’m almost over driving the set up. I think I need to go to stiffer springs due to two wheeling at times in the hook style turn at the end of the straight and lifting the inside rear wheel
Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #21144
Tech Rookie

I bought a new transmitter+receiver.
Now Im having problem fitting the new receiver(Futaba R203GF), its bigger than my old one. Ive been thinking of having the receiver mounted on the servo or maybe on the battery strap.
Has anyone done this?
Please post some pics about how you did do this if you had the same problem.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #21145
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1360 View Post
Now Im having problem fitting the new receiver(Futaba R203GF), its bigger than my old one. Ive been thinking of having the receiver mounted on the servo or maybe on the battery strap.
Has anyone done this?
I'm using a old Futaba fm receiver and had the same problem. I have a 3D printer and created a box/cage that the receiver would slide into. I then mounted the ESC on top of the cage. The ESC sits right in the windows of the body. If you don't have a printer you could fab up something like that plastic, screws and spacers.
axoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #21146
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Has anyone done this?
This is how mine is set up. On its side back up against the Servo. I ran into the same problem switching receivers. Instead of laying flat this is how it ended up
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-5bcd2b91-7c05-49e4-9ca4-de97658c2b7a.jpeg  
Old 11-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #21147
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO county race View Post
This is how mine is set up. On its side back up against the Servo. I ran into the same problem switching receivers. Instead of laying flat this is how it ended up
Looks good.
I see that you cut that plastic piece(the one inbetween servo and esc) on the front chassis plate to install the receiver that way.
I think Ill try that.
What kind of battery strap do you use?

Last edited by D1360; 11-21-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #21148
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Looks good.
I see that you cut that plastic piece(the one inbetween servo and esc) on the front chassis plate to install the receiver that way.
I think Ill try that.
What kind of battery strap do you use?
I would assume that the battery is held in by double sided tape.
Associated B5M/Hobbywing V2.1/ Trinity D4 17.5/ savox (For Sale)
Special Thanks to Bellgate Distributors for all their support
hpiaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #21149
Tech Initiate

How well do these do in low to medium dirt track compared to b4.X or the rear version or even a b6? I want to get a couple of buggies for the family to play with at the track, ages 10 - 15. Also looking for best durability or inexpensive parts. The B5M seem to have come down a lot in the used market only a little bit more compared to the b4 I'm seeing. Thanks
Justin805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #21150
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin805 View Post
How well do these do in low to medium dirt track compared to b4.X or the rear version or even a b6? I want to get a couple of buggies for the family to play with at the track, ages 10 - 15. Also looking for best durability or inexpensive parts. The B5M seem to have come down a lot in the used market only a little bit more compared to the b4 I'm seeing. Thanks
I highly recommend the B5m over the B4. The B5m is much more durable and will work great on low traction surfaces with a little tuning.
Justin805 likes this.