Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Associated J & A Servo Horns

J & A are 23 tooth. J fits my spektrum 6040 servo but A does not. Anyone know why? Thinking inner diameter of horn must be different.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:31 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadersing
Guys, new to B5M.

Need some advice on when to use the different front and rear arms please.

-Front flat arms
-Front gull wing arms
-Rear B5M arms
-Rear B5 arms

Best combination for the following conditions
1. Super high grip like carpet or astro turf
2. High to medium traction on indoor clay
3. Low traction like loose soil

Thanks
This is just my opinion....I like the flat front arms better everywhere. To me, they just supplied more linear steering in all conditions. In 17.5 racing, I have not had the need to try the B5 rear arms because I have not lacked for rear traction. I have a set in my pit box that have never been used.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadersing
Guys, new to B5M.

Need some advice on when to use the different front and rear arms please.

-Front flat arms
-Front gull wing arms
-Rear B5M arms
-Rear B5 arms

Best combination for the following conditions
1. Super high grip like carpet or astro turf
2. High to medium traction on indoor clay
3. Low traction like loose soil

Thanks
I got called out for not giving too much really useful information, so I'll take a crack at this.

Gullwings - more turn in, more aggressive feel, a little less on power steering. I prefer these everywhere so far - and I used to LOVE the flat arms as they mellow the car out.

B5R rear arms - give an immense amount of rear bite by shortening the wheel base, and allowing you to go I believe 5mm (Don't quote me) shorter than you can with the mid motor rear arms.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mac126
Will a sway bar add forward bight to my B5M
Where are you at on rear toe? anti squat?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Socket, you are a mod guy correct?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bds81175
Socket, you are a mod guy correct?
After living and breathing (And spending a ton of cash...) I made the move from 17.5 to modified last month.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How Do limiters on the shock shaft front and rear effect the cars handling?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by motoman811
How Do limiters on the shock shaft front and rear effect the cars handling?
It limits the amount of weight transferred. If you go to far with it the car becomes very darty and hard to drive.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah123
J & A are 23 tooth. J fits my spektrum 6040 servo but A does not. Anyone know why? Thinking inner diameter of horn must be different.
Why does it matter...J is for JR/Spektrum servos, which you have. A is for Airtronics. The J fits the servo you have (as it should), A does not (as it should). Measure the inner diameter and see for yourself.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I am wanting to play around with boosting my 17.5 in my B5m. I have a few ideas about how to go about it. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it and what your process was. I plan to run mod and 17.5 buggy, with minimal car changes. that is the goal. disabling boost, changing motor timing and a pinion is easy enough. I dont always feel like swapping motors on race day. so, here are my thoughts. I normally run 42deg timing, and i will drop it back to 30 deg, add 20 boost and 10 deg turbo. As I a mainly want the extra power on the straight to not get run over. Of course I will monitor temps. I am thinking i can leave my gearing at 69/30 for now. Based on my boosting tests in the past, I believe this is a reasonable starting point. thoughts?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I am wanting to play around with boosting my 17.5 in my B5m. I have a few ideas about how to go about it. Just wanted to see if anyone has done it and what your process was. I plan to run mod and 17.5 buggy, with minimal car changes. that is the goal. disabling boost, changing motor timing and a pinion is easy enough. I dont always feel like swapping motors on race day. so, here are my thoughts. I normally run 42deg timing, and i will drop it back to 30 deg, add 20 boost and 10 deg turbo. As I a mainly want the extra power on the straight to not get run over. Of course I will monitor temps. I am thinking i can leave my gearing at 69/30 for now. Based on my boosting tests in the past, I believe this is a reasonable starting point. thoughts?

You won't go any faster than without boost, and it'll be a handful to drive when boost does hit. Then when the turbo hits it'll be even worse.The motor and the ESC will run hotter, and you'll wonder why you even bothered when you look at your lap times as they either don't change, or get worse.

To run modified, you need to commit and run a modified motor. They're more linear for power delivery, smoother, and over all much faster. This doesn't mean you'll go any faster, however it'll be much more predictable and easier to drive. I wasn't sure how light your car was, or if you've done all the wanted/needed 17.5 mods, but if you have, it will not be a fun car with big horsepower in it. A 13.5 would suite you nicely, and much better than a boosted 17.5.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Socket
You won't go any faster than without boost, and it'll be a handful to drive when boost does hit. Then when the turbo hits it'll be even worse.The motor and the ESC will run hotter, and you'll wonder why you even bothered when you look at your lap times as they either don't change, or get worse.

To run modified, you need to commit and run a modified motor. They're more linear for power delivery, smoother, and over all much faster. This doesn't mean you'll go any faster, however it'll be much more predictable and easier to drive. I wasn't sure how light your car was, or if you've done all the wanted/needed 17.5 mods, but if you have, it will not be a fun car with big horsepower in it. A 13.5 would suite you nicely, and much better than a boosted 17.5.
umm, actually you can get more "speed" with boost. When I boost 13.5, I normally only do turbo for straightaway speed, as the speed in the infield is not needed. And you are correct on the "feel", that is the main reason I normally only do light turbo. not very noticeable in the straight. boost does kinda feel like crap in the infield. I might rethink that. In the past I have been able to use boost and turbo to lower motor temps and gain more straight away speeds. It takes a little trial and error. If it was no benefit at all, then would ban it, lol. From my experience, it can be good or it can be crap, depending on how you implement it. The only reason I run 17.5 these day adhoc, is if Jesse comes up and wants to run 17.5. Otherwise I care less about 17.5
Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Yokomo

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but look familiar????

$7

Old 05-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Prophet

dang, 7 bucks for a shock body. man yok stuff is cheap. No idea if it is the same coating.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket

It is possible to have smooth, linear power delivery while running timing, but it takes a lot of work and knowledge on what adjustment to make. Gearing, motor timing, esc timing, start and end rpm all have effects on how and where power is made. I ran a Novak Sentry data logger so I could look at rpm and make adjustments based on what I saw/felt. When setup correctly the ESC makes a little more heat, but not so much that it was a concern. Ultimately the timing increased the top speed, but there is no way to make a 17.5 have the out of the hole rip of a mod motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.