Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gearhead82
I think it's fair to refer to the combined B5M manual plus the CE supplement collectively as the CE Manual, which I assume is what people are referring to here.
Correct! I have been in RC for a loooonnnggg time and manuals have come a long way since then. I didn't have any problems nor did the build was hard but I can see how people might have problems.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
For you guys breaking the inserts off in the plastic hubs...are you using a washer on the plastic side and nut to better secure it all?
Darn, I'm dumb. I didn't even think to try the washer. I know some guys at the track use the longer ball studs and stick a nut on the end. Honestly the 3rd time it broke I was half way through my race night and didn't think. That's such a simple fix that I'll now keep note of and probably put that together in my toolbox incase something happens to the aluminum hub. Always good to have a backup plan... thank you!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yanks213x
Darn, I'm dumb. I didn't even think to try the washer. I know some guys at the track use the longer ball studs and stick a nut on the end. Honestly the 3rd time it broke I was half way through my race night and didn't think. That's such a simple fix that I'll now keep note of and probably put that together in my toolbox incase something happens to the aluminum hub. Always good to have a backup plan... thank you!
Also, when using the aluminum hubs I use ASC4617 for ball stud washers. They have a greater surface area than the kit supplied versions.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

What are people's thoughts on front wings for 17.5? And what are thoughts on running the front wing behind the tower, or running up front with the Mike Gay mount? Just curious if it is beneficial. Not sure I am sold on the idea. Front wings were tried years ago, but went away quickly.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
Really?
I remember when I built my first B5M, the original gearbox bearings were so terrible it was like I had drag brake set on my esc, in fact I had push control dialed in! Installed a set of Schelle oiled ceramic bearings and I immediately had to take out the push control!
Now tell me the benefit is negligible again...
As far as the rest of the bearings, may not be as dramatic but every little bit helps in the end!
I buy the stuff we sell at the track including car kits, mods, motors, etc etc. My personal experience spans over hundreds of kits and dozens of products. I, at a bare minimum, have a basis for most of my opinions that revolves around more than the experience that I've had with a couple of kits. Its one of those things, If you want to believe that a set of bearings are going to yield you more speed, and by logical extension, faster lap times, then have at it. Just like I've said a bunch of times if your basic kit is built properly and set up ok all the happy junk you to strap on your car isn't going to make you faster.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 03-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greenbandit
What are people's thoughts on front wings for 17.5? And what are thoughts on running the front wing behind the tower, or running up front with the Mike Gay mount? Just curious if it is beneficial. Not sure I am sold on the idea. Front wings were tried years ago, but went away quickly.
I cant remember where I read it but someone mentioned that in their experience the wing behind (on top) of the tower had a more aggressive feel than the wing in front of (and lower) the tower. I feel its track dependent. JConcepts also has a front wing mount out, it is available through shapeways. They have a B5 and a 22 version.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What are everyone's thoughts on the fantom 17.5 vs the trinity d4 17.5? Seems most people at my track run the d4 but the customization options of the fantom seem nice and they are about the same price.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
What are everyone's thoughts on the fantom 17.5 vs the trinity d4 17.5? Seems most people at my track run the d4 but the customization options of the fantom seem nice and they are about the same price.
I've run both a certified D4 and a fully optioned Fantom, both are good really. I did have to drop 3 pinion teeth with the Fantom compared to the d4, and it's still a little over geared on my tight tracks. For whatever reason the Fantom likes to spin (RPM), and it runs a bit cooler.

All IMO.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Greenbandit

If your track doesn't have a high speed sweeper or plain a fast track the Front wing won't make much of a difference I think .
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been contemplating the Shapeways 3 gear LCG transmission for the B5M. Currently our indoor track is high grip ozite and everyone that has converted love the LCG tranny on that track. However our outdoor track will open in a month or so which is low/mid grip, being outdoors the heat/sun of the day changes it quite a bit.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with the LCG tranny on low to mid grip surfaces? My thought is that a lower center of gravity is always beneficial, but the negative is that the weight is biased to the front due to this tranny. But maybe adding the Brass (C) mount would help to offset the weight bias, or other weights added. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

I'm confused at how cut gears work. Some of them look like they are literally half the size of the normal gear. How do they fit in the gear box? is there another gear box you need to buy? if there are links to other threads please let me know.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yanks213x
I'm confused at how cut gears work. Some of them look like they are literally half the size of the normal gear. How do they fit in the gear box? is there another gear box you need to buy? if there are links to other threads please let me know.
The gear part of the idler is the only thing that's cut...it still has the portion that the bearings ride in to center it. The diff is centered by the outdrives, not the gear.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
I love the D4 motors but the new Fantom is blazing fast. I have a bunch on the way. They sponsor my friend and his regular motors with Fantom prospec rotors are super fast. The 17.5 is on par with a Hobbywing Bandit 17.5 which is a full blown outlaw cheater.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gigasipke
I have been contemplating the Shapeways 3 gear LCG transmission for the B5M. Currently our indoor track is high grip ozite and everyone that has converted love the LCG tranny on that track. However our outdoor track will open in a month or so which is low/mid grip, being outdoors the heat/sun of the day changes it quite a bit.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with the LCG tranny on low to mid grip surfaces? My thought is that a lower center of gravity is always beneficial, but the negative is that the weight is biased to the front due to this tranny. But maybe adding the Brass (C) mount would help to offset the weight bias, or other weights added. Thanks.
Please send a link to the lcg trans that works well and what performance/installation to expect from the lcg trans since I run on super high grip carpet
Thanks guys
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The gear part of the idler is the only thing that's cut...it still has the portion that the bearings ride in to center it. The diff is centered by the outdrives, not the gear.
Cool. My friend has a set of cut gears not set up in the gearbox yet so I saw what you mean. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.