Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree136Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
I just pieced a 3-gear transmission together this week. You will need:

3-gear case
3-gear motor plate
3-gear spur cover
3-gear top shaft
(2x) 5x10x4 bearings. The 3 gear aluminum top shaft rides on smaller bearings compared to the 4 gear transmission which uses 6x12x4 .
(2x) diff shims (#1733). The B5M Lite manual lists 2 diff shims and they are correct because when I installed the diff in the three gear transmission case there was a lot of lateral movement between the diff and cases. The shims eliminated most of that play.
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Looking at getting a few extra springs and would like to know if the AE springs or Avid were preferred (my gut says Avid). Then what springs / range of springs for F & R work well on low to med bite tracks.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
Thanks. I meant where did you get yours from. Like do people have a preference for someone's cut gears. A google search only showed CB's cut gears. I don't know if anyone else out there makes them.
cb's are the main one. the guy that does it is local to me. u can do it yourself if u feel like you can. lay the gear flat on sandpaper and go to town, belt sander helps alot
Old 02-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
(2x) 5x10x4 bearings. The 3 gear aluminum top shaft rides on smaller bearings compared to the 4 gear transmission which uses 6x12x4
You don't need the bearings when going to 3 gear. You can take the bearings out of the second idler gear to use for the new top shaft.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
You don't need the bearings when going to 3 gear. You can take the bearings out of the second idler gear to use for the new top shaft.
ooh, thanks. saved some coin there. i'm running the schelle ceramics so re-using them instead of buying new is a plus.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
ooh, thanks. saved some coin there. i'm running the schelle ceramics so re-using them instead of buying new is a plus.
just built mine last week.
trans case
motor plate (or modified 4 gear plate)
gear cover
top shaft v2
diff shims (this is a must there is atleast 1/8 inch of play without them)
Old 02-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HYPERformance06
just built mine last week.
trans case
motor plate (or modified 4 gear plate)
gear cover
top shaft v2
diff shims (this is a must there is atleast 1/8 inch of play without them)
Which diff shims are you buying? I have my 3 gear on the way, but just had the gear cover come in off backorder, so I can add some shims to the order.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've only had my B5M out three times and it was on carpet so it didn't get dirty but my front wheel bearings seem a little rough already. Seems like I remember reading about that being fairly common somewhere back in the thread.

Would you guys suggest just replacing the front wheel bearings or should I go ahead and just buy a full set? Should I buy ceramic if I'm not running stock and trying to remove every bit of friction possible?

-Chris
Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Read the first post in this thread for the answer.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Read the first post in this thread for the answer.
I've read it at least 10 times and just now scanned back through it. I don't see the answer. Am I completely looking over something? I'm not asking about crush washers if that's what you mean.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iScream
I've read it at least 10 times and just now scanned back through it. I don't see the answer. Am I completely looking over something? I'm not asking about crush washers if that's what you mean.
Well I believe the crush washers are the reason for the bearings becoming gritty after that short time. They were originally too narrow and they wouldn't function properly, which caused the bearings to become gritty.

As far as replacing all bearings, if you are still running kit bearings, then I would buy a new bearing kit. If you buy from AVID you can customize what type for each size bearing needed. I believe most just buy ceramics for the gear box.
http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=800&kitname=B5M
Old 02-14-2015, 04:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iScream
It's in the Q&A section as are many common questions.

Q: I'm getting binding/grinding in my front wheel bearings, how can I fix this issue?
A: There was/is an issue with the crush washer that resides between the two front wheel bearings. AE has addressed the issue with a running change (to my knowledge). To fix the issue, simply get a new crush tube, buy better quality bearings (plenty of places sell bearings by the pack) or monitor the bearing inserts for molding issues. Also try a clamping hex with axle in the front (best solution, honestly).
Originally Posted by mschumi101
As far as replacing all bearings, if you are still running kit bearings, then I would buy a new bearing kit. If you buy from AVID you can customize what type for each size bearing needed. I believe most just buy ceramics for the gear box.
http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=800&kitname=B5M
Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

http://www.liverc.com/news/new_produ...battery_brace/

This is the Factory RC AE B5m Carbon Fiber Shorty Brace with adjustable battery stop blocks. This brace replaces the stock plastic battery retainer bracket and allows you to use the adjustable battery stop instead of foam blocks. This brace allows you to run the battery shifted forward or rearward. Simply install the battery stop on either side, and adjust to your packs length to remove any slack. Remove a battery stop to allow full rearward or full forward positioning in the car. Fitment is snug and prevents the battery from shifting. This brace is designed to be narrow allowing for additional chassis flex in the car. Battery brace is made from 3mm Carbon Fiber and your choice of Heavy Duty Carbon Steel screws or Titanium Screws. Upgrade to Factory RC!

Old 02-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I had to link to your tracks website to see if it was dirt or brown carpet.
lol
Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
Looking at getting a few extra springs and would like to know if the AE springs or Avid were preferred (my gut says Avid). Then what springs / range of springs for F & R work well on low to med bite tracks.

Thanks,
Avid springs are great. get the spring kits so you can tune for conditions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.