Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BLKXJ96
I want to try it in mine. Being a stock car, I have got it down to about as light as I want it. Now I want to start adding weight in places to keep my CG low and also bring back the planted feel when the car was 1600+ grams. If anything I will keep it just to do the hinge pin mod.
My b5m is going to be a 17.5 racer and I'm wondering about all the AL stuff too. Based on the FT setup sheets I've found for 17.5 B5m I see them running loads of aluminum parts. Spencer Rivkin has a 17.5 set up sheet out and he has the al rear hubs, and several al arm mounts and yet his weight is still jn the low 1500s. How the he11 does he do it?

I see lots of 17.5 set ups online running the Al front bulk head. The weight might be great. I was told by a sponsored local to get a full size servo because the b5m needs the weight up front.

Also, the front hinge pin mod... The pins don't slide out the front!?! They must not as every ft driver seems to run that mod.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
I have 5 deg of caster, it doesn't push all the time but when it's slightly dusty it does. I think that extra 15 grams on the front will do the trick.

I take it you put the 2.5 pills in?
we started running the extra 14 grams the second weekend we ran the car. Track was just rebuilt and still a little loose. As the traction came back up, it helped on the higher speed corners but had no negative effect anywhere else.

When we put the 0* caster blocks, standard set-up is 5* blocks, in ( Part Number 91400) it smoothed out the steering ( numbed it down a little) on entry and added exit/ on power steering. These 2 things were her main complaint. Nice thing was, the caster change corrects both of these
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Finalist
My b5m is going to be a 17.5 racer and I'm wondering about all the AL stuff too. Based on the FT setup sheets I've found for 17.5 B5m I see them running loads of aluminum parts. Spencer Rivkin has a 17.5 set up sheet out and he has the al rear hubs, and several al arm mounts and yet his weight is still jn the low 1500s. How the he11 does he do it?

I see lots of 17.5 set ups online running the Al front bulk head. The weight might be great. I was told by a sponsored local to get a full size servo because the b5m needs the weight up front.

Also, the front hinge pin mod... The pins don't slide out the front!?! They must not as every ft driver seems to run that mod.
titanium screws and the light chassis takes a lot of weight away. The AL front kickup plate has set screws to hold the pin in.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Sorry if this has been asked before. Does anybody know what is up with the team guys rear springs lately? I have noticed these same springs on a few of the team guys cars in the last few months. Different brand or new springs coming?
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-thurs-rivkinb5m-9.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Gierse
Sorry if this has been asked before. Does anybody know what is up with the team guys rear springs lately? I have noticed these same springs on a few of the team guys cars in the last few months. Different brand or new springs coming?
They are Yatabe Arena (yokomo) springs.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

yeah, I am unsure why they are using the yatabe springs. stiffer rates? According to petit, that is a 2.71lbs springs. AE yellow rear is a 2.4. So a lot stiffer I guess
Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
They are Yatabe Arena (yokomo) springs.
Aren't the Yatabe green springs also a stand alone Part number also? I was told Yok has like 3 different green springs...
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yeah, I am unsure why they are using the yatabe springs. stiffer rates? According to petit, that is a 2.71lbs springs. AE yellow rear is a 2.4. So a lot stiffer I guess

They're the actual number labeled, instead of being all over the place like oem AE springs.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Wow! Wonder why they want them so stiff?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Socket
They're the actual number labeled, instead of being all over the place like oem AE springs.
I highly doubt that is true. I just dont think RC has that good of tolerances. I was told by a few spring makers, that the numbers are averages. The rates often change, because each rod that it is wound from, is never exactly the same. That is why AVID always tested each "batch" and labeled accordingly. AE, TLR, Yok and Kyosho have their numbers all over the place also. if you want matched springs, get a high quality spring tester and buy a crap ton of springs, lol. Otherwise, run what is in the package and work on keeping the wheels down. That is what 99% of us need to do . Btw, I just made up that statistic as I have no real data points

Last edited by Wildcat1971; 01-26-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I highly doubt that is true. I just dont think RC has that good of tolerances. I was told by a few spring makers, that the numbers are averages. The rates often change because each rod thet are wound from is never exactly the same. That is why AVID always tested each "batch" and labeled accordingly. AE, TLR, Yok and Kyosho have their numbers all over the place also. if you want matched springs, get a high quality spring tester and buy a crap ton of springs, lol. Otherwise, run what is in the package and work on keeping the wheels down. That is what 99% of us need to do . Btw, I just made up that statistic as I have no real data points
Im good at keeping it on the wheels. I need more practice driving on the wing. Some reason, I cant keep up with anyone
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gearhead82
Hi,

I'm new here and had a couple Traxxas "basher" type R/Cs when I was younger but haven't messed with r/c in about 10 years. Recently visited a local track and I'm interested in running their stock buggy 17.5 blinky class. I've never raced before. I ordered a B5M CE from AMain yesterday and should be getting it in about a week. I've done some research but I have a couple basic questions.

1) Are the screws/nuts metric or SAE? I have some basic automotive tools in the garage but will probably need some smaller hex keys and nut drivers I imagine. What other tools will I need for the assembly?

2) I see both 2.2" and 61(?)mm wheels listed for 1/10 buggies. Which should I use on the B5M?

3) I noticed that none of the local hobbies shops that I visited seem to carry any B5M specific parts. Is this likely to change as the platform ages?

4) Here's my basic list so far for electronics. Please feel free to comment/critique. Local track has a clay surface if that matters.

-Hobbywing XERUN "Justock" sensored brushless ESC
-EcoPower slingshot 17.5 motor
-Airtronics MX-V FHSS-2 Radio
-Savox SC-1258TG Servo
-Hitec X1 AC Plus Single Port AC/DC Charger
-SMC Factory Spec 7.4V Shorty 4400mAh 60C Batteries

Thanks for the help! This board is a great resource!
Any help for a new guy?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Any help for a new guy?
your electronics are fine. 2.2 vs 61mm is track dependent. Ask the locals.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any help for a new guy?
I'm a new guy too, just came back to RC cars after a long break.

My suggestions - spend some time at the track asking questions before you build. Hopefully they have a store as well and can recommend some of the parts you need.

Car is 99% metric, I think the pinion gear is the only part that is standard. Get a good set of metric drivers, a MIP set would be the best.

Ask at the track which tires and wheels to get - it's a huge part of the set up and typically there is a dominant favorite at the local track.

Spend a lot of time making sure everything is set up right before your 1st time - camber, ride height, droop, etc. Get a camber gauge and a ride height tool. It's easier to understand what to change if you start from a standard, correct set up. Chances are you will need to make changes, but it will take awhile to figure out which problem is the car and which is the driver.

Practice, practice, practice. And don't be surprised when the 10 year old kid whips your butt - it's going to happen for awhile.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

I'm new here and had a couple Traxxas "basher" type R/Cs when I was younger but haven't messed with r/c in about 10 years. Recently visited a local track and I'm interested in running their stock buggy 17.5 blinky class. I've never raced before. I ordered a B5M CE from AMain yesterday and should be getting it in about a week. I've done some research but I have a couple basic questions.

1) Are the screws/nuts metric or SAE? I have some basic automotive tools in the garage but will probably need some smaller hex keys and nut drivers I imagine. What other tools will I need for the assembly?

2) I see both 2.2" and 61(?)mm wheels listed for 1/10 buggies. Which should I use on the B5M?

3) I noticed that none of the local hobbies shops that I visited seem to carry any B5M specific parts. Is this likely to change as the platform ages?

4) Here's my basic list so far for electronics. Please feel free to comment/critique. Local track has a clay surface if that matters.

-Hobbywing XERUN "Justock" sensored brushless ESC
-EcoPower slingshot 17.5 motor
-Airtronics MX-V FHSS-2 Radio
-Savox SC-1258TG Servo
-Hitec X1 AC Plus Single Port AC/DC Charger
-SMC Factory Spec 7.4V Shorty 4400mAh 60C Batteries

Thanks for the help! This board is a great resource!
I actually just got the same kit... Bought it 2 weeks ago and just finished last night. Some parts are fun to build and others frustrated me a little... most likely because I haven't put a kit together in a long time since I've been away from the Hobby myself. The screws are all metric and you can do 1 of 2 things -

http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-10686-.../dp/B0006O4AD8

for ~17 dollars

or if you have some SAE wrenches, a few of the sizes are the same. I don't recall off hand but some of them will work. I have a set of MIP SAE Wrenches and was able to build about 90% of the car with them.

I stuck to the stock build provided in the instructions and will make changes as I run it and develop my own style. I was told to run the 3 gear transmission for stock class (which I'm in). My electronics are similar, I got the same ESC but I bought it as a combo with a motor. The motor will probably be replaced once I know how to drive since it's nothing special.

I bought the Hitec x2 AC Plus - it's pretty much the 2 battery charger version of yours. It was $100. I have limited time from when I get out of work to when I can practice on my local track before they close so I felt like that was a good choice.

I'm still in the learning phase too .. there are a lot of good resources here and I like ShortCourseWorld on youtube.. they guy Jason puts out a lot of good videos.

You can also PM me if you have questions, I'm so far from being an expert but I'm sure there are a lot of things out there that I haven't even realized you could ask about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.