Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Oh grief, what am I about to do here...

You don't even need the trick lightweight parts. If you have the skill to be at the top of mod, then you can throw any old properly geared 17.5 motor from the last two years in your car and clean up in stock, even with a beefcake car. At least that's been my experience: The reason people run stock is because they can't be as competitive in mod... period.

Driving ability doesn't reign supreme in stock. Differences in driving ability of those who remain in stock reigns supreme. There's an important difference, and that is that the people with the supreme driving ability are at the top of the mod classes, not stock. It takes exponentially more skill to drive mod fast than it does to drive stock fast, and the main reason for that is because the cars are actually going fast, the setups really matter, and the differences between good and great drivers really show up.

Whenever a stock guy asks me to drive his car and offer opinions on their car, my response is almost always the same: "Seems fine." I may point out some small thing they could change, but in reality, unless their car is a complete pile of crap, I adapt to it pretty quick and I'm off click'n off good laps. If they ask detailed setup questions like "oh I was going to try X and Y", I struggle to put it nicely, and I really am trying to be the right combination of honest and "not a dick", but it boils down to this: It really doesn't matter on the small stuff. Big stuff, sure... right tires, a setup that isn't completely broke, correct ride height, decent maintenance... but when it comes down to "should I run a 3x1.4 or 1.6 piston in the rear?" It doesn't really matter—it's totally personal preference. The car's just not going fast enough to really work the suspension that hard. The hardest the suspension works is when their car fails to clear a jump and gets it's bones rocked, and that's a roll of the dice.

If the fast mod guys step down to stock, and yes, down is the right word, people complain and moan about it. I've seen it happen. If somebody gets untouchable in stock, people start asking when they're going to "go mod" since they're so fast. So what you're left with is a group of racers that are all similarly matched for skill with a limited top speed. What do you do to get an advantage? You drop money on the best possible motor and electronics that pass tech and the lightest possible car. Then when people ask about the stock class, you provide the standard response about "less about speed and more about driving," even though it takes way more driving and setup skill to compete in the mod classes at the pace they're running. And that's the stock game in a nut shell.

Modern day offroad stock is a SPORTSMAN class. Some will admit it, some will not. Back in the 90s, the fast guys ran stock and the mod class was for goofs with too much power and not enough self control. The kicker is that STOCK OFFROAD is fun as hell. It's competitive. It's a blast. Don't knock it. I keep a 17.5 motor around just in case. Just be honest about what it is.

Wayne
Quoted for its pure unadulterated TRUTH!

This my friends IS how it is in RC.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Either of you guys know about running an aluminum ball diff gear?
Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I feel the same .....done with the pucks crap!

Originally Posted by dbowen
Ya thats about what I have done every 10-15 days and ya I completely agree with you I think I'm done with the pucks that is just BS that you spend that much money only to have to put more money and maintenance in it than the OEM ones. Hell the stock out drives last 10x as long! It just makes me sick that I've invested all that money into something that Im not going to use anymore!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SUKKAFISH
Either of you guys know about running an aluminum ball diff gear?
No reason to. This was a carry over mod from years ago when you could ill-set the diff and melt the gear.

Stick to the plastic gear.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You don't even need the trick lightweight parts. If you have the skill to be at the top of mod, then you can throw any old properly geared 17.5 motor from the last two years in your car and clean up in stock, even with a beefcake car. At least that's been my experience: The reason people run stock is because they can't be as competitive in mod... period.

Driving ability doesn't reign supreme in stock. Differences in driving ability of those who remain in stock reigns supreme. There's an important difference, and that is that the people with the supreme driving ability are at the top of the mod classes, not stock. It takes exponentially more skill to drive mod fast than it does to drive stock fast, and the main reason for that is because the cars are actually going fast, the setups really matter, and the differences between good and great drivers really show up.

Whenever a stock guy asks me to drive his car and offer opinions on their car, my response is almost always the same: "Seems fine." I may point out some small thing they could change, but in reality, unless their car is a complete pile of crap, I adapt to it pretty quick and I'm off click'n off good laps. If they ask detailed setup questions like "oh I was going to try X and Y", I struggle to put it nicely, and I really am trying to be the right combination of honest and "not a dick", but it boils down to this: It really doesn't matter on the small stuff. Big stuff, sure... right tires, a setup that isn't completely broke, correct ride height, decent maintenance... but when it comes down to "should I run a 3x1.4 or 1.6 piston in the rear?" It doesn't really matter—it's totally personal preference. The car's just not going fast enough to really work the suspension that hard. The hardest the suspension works is when their car fails to clear a jump and gets it's bones rocked, and that's a roll of the dice.

If the fast mod guys step down to stock, and yes, down is the right word, people complain and moan about it. I've seen it happen. If somebody gets untouchable in stock, people start asking when they're going to "go mod" since they're so fast. So what you're left with is a group of racers that are all similarly matched for skill with a limited top speed. What do you do to get an advantage? You drop money on the best possible motor and electronics that pass tech and the lightest possible car. Then when people ask about the stock class, you provide the standard response about "less about speed and more about driving," even though it takes way more driving and setup skill to compete in the mod classes at the pace they're running. And that's the stock game in a nut shell.

Modern day offroad stock is a SPORTSMAN class. Some will admit it, some will not. Back in the 90s, the fast guys ran stock and the mod class was for goofs with too much power and not enough self control. The kicker is that STOCK OFFROAD is fun as hell. It's competitive. It's a blast. Don't knock it. I keep a 17.5 motor around just in case. Just be honest about what it is.

Wayne
So right on point. 90% of stock is gearing half a tooth this side of poof!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Suspended

Really happy with the 3 gear transmission. It definitely lightened up the car, as well as gave the car more punch and top end in 17.5.

The biggest change is the sound - the 3 gear is absolutely quiet. The mesh between the gears are PERFECT.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Wayne

+1 this is so true!!!! You hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think the changed the mold on the 4 gear tranny too so it fits better. I guess it would be a running change.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wayne
In an ideal world, yes all of the above is true, and at the national level it probably still is. However in most of the local club races or even the jbrl or top notch series the top stock drivers are putting in pretty much identical lap times as the mod drivers but in stock there will be a complete a main seperated by fractions of seconds while there is usually only a couple mod drivers with those times. I think stock has just become so competitive and only seperated by fractions of seconds so u have to buy all the lightweight and hop up parts just to be competitve and mod is so fast u can run pretty much stock parts because u have the horsepower to make up for a heavier car. I may be completely off base here but it is just my experience.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SUKKAFISH
Damn!

Only stock class at the track I run and people make such a fuss about modded trucks being too fast on the straight (small track). But the 17.5's put down more consistent laps because they don't have to control their throttle as much. Sometimes we can slip into a club race but usually someone is complaining.
Originally Posted by Socket
Really happy with the 3 gear transmission. It definitely lightened up the car, as well as gave the car more punch and top end in 17.5.

The biggest change is the sound - the 3 gear is absolutely quiet. The mesh between the gears are PERFECT.
Sounds like you run 17.5 but did you notice anything as far as rear grip? With the motor rotating a different direction I'm curious if it decreased rear grip.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
Sounds like you run 17.5 but did you notice anything as far as rear grip? With the motor rotating a different direction I'm curious if it decreased rear grip.
This is the big thing I am wondering about.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
No change at all. I ran the same tires I usually run, and didn't change the setup all day. This is on a medium bite outdoor track that will wear a "groove" as the day turns to night. I usually start the day off with Hybrids, then switch to barcodes. Did the same as usual, and handling wise I noticed with the Hybrids the car had more steering than usual when running them.

And yes, I've moved back to 17.5. This transmission was built with CB's custom gears, and schelle ceramic bearings.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wayne
This post is probably the best thing I have ever seen since WC was banned. Sorry WC, still love ya buddy hahaha
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Locally for me mod buggy is the premier class we have several very fast guys that could compete on the national level(and do when we get pro drivers at end of year race). And our stock class is loaded with super talented youngsters and old guys like me that don't get to the track as much as we'd like. Stadium truck is very similar. the 2 guys running rc10s are no slouches they are proving a point. They both have run mod and done well there. Stock is a competitive class where setup matters more than horsepower and driving skill is king. That's why all the best mod racers honed their setup and driving skills in stock and then moved up to mod. Razathorn I'll agree that a piston change probably won't be a noticeable change but saying stock doesn't make the suspension work is wrong it might not work as fast but it still has to work because your still pitching a 3lb car into a corner or landing it off a jump. Mod setups are different than stock do to the speed but setup still matters a lot in both classes
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Socket
You don't understand it, which is fine.

Driving ability in 17.5 reigns supreme for most. A fast motor is just a nice thing to have. If you hit pipes a ton, it won't matter what motor you have.
I guess I should clarify, I do get it, and I'm sure it's fun. My kids want to get into racing and I have been hesitant to do it after reading some of the comments about the $$ spent in stock - but your comment about driving ability totally makes sense. I guess you can go overboard no matter what class you run in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.