Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nurcdad
Hello anyone reading this, just built my buggy this week, first 2wd buggy, I am stock set up and ran the first time on an indoor high bite clay track, ran pretty good, I have 2 questions for now, my slipper does not seem to function well, when i run the nut flush with shaft, diff barks, loosen it 1 turn out still not slipping, so I tore in down last night, diff and slipper, cleaned diff and lubed, seems to turn smooth with resistance, slipper has no signs of wear at all, put it back together and same thing, I have to back the nut off so loose i can turn by hand and then it slips any tighter diff bark? Second the rear end seems to slide out letting off throttle as long as i feather it seems more consistant, almost feels like high drag brake but I have none, is this a diff problem causing these problems? Ok a 3rd question since I'm here I changed my shock oil also, same weight, used same stock procedure, when i checked my ride height 24mm I had to crank the collars down about 8 turns compared to when I built it to get it right, shocks are smooth, no air that i see or fell whats up confused?
your diff is to loose, you want to properly break it in. look up on youtube "ball diffn breakin"
the bark is cause your diff is slipping, so once you get your diff tight you can tighting your slipper clockwise and then hold both rear wheels and the slipper and blip the throttle it should not bark and the wheels should come off the ground, if it doesnt come up tighten the slipper untill its popping the wheels off the ground a couple inches

Last edited by thebombster; 11-23-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

How important is it to upgrade the shock stand offs? Seems to be lots of play within the shock cap on the stand off.

Had upgraded Schelle aluminum stand offs but a nut backed out. Ended up going to the stock to the front end....felt fine.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thebombster
your diff is to loose, dont worry about the slipper slipping at all, you want to properly break it in. look up on youtube "ball diffn breakin"
the bark is cause your diff is slipping, so once you get your diff tight you can tighting your slipper clockwise and then hold both rear wheels and the slipper and blip the throttle it should not bark and the wheels should come off the ground, if it doesnt come up tighten the slipper untill its popping the wheels off the ground a couple inches
That is exactly what i did broke it in drill method and table top one wheel at a time a couple of mins each side, tighening each time a bit until I reach 1/2 turn lazy spin on the wheel t-nut flush like in manual right now i have it at fully compressed backed off 1/8 turn, wheels come off the ground fine but slipper is far from the nut flush starting point
Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

That is exactly what i did broke it in drill method and table top one wheel at a time a couple of mins each side, tighening each time a bit until I reach 1/2 turn lazy spin on the wheel t-nut flush like in manual right now i have it at fully compressed backed off 1/8 turn, wheels come off the ground fine but slipper is far from the nut flush starting point
If your diff is fine, double check slipper with instructions that all parts are seated correctly and tighten nut down to flush. Make sure to compress the spring with some pliers before install.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've never understood how people set their diffs with the "flick" method as some have called it How do you even know how hard to spin the tire? Is there some high tech calibrating process you use on your hand before giving her a spin.. I've tried "flicking" on my cars with diffs set where I want them and just seem to get widely varying, inconsistent results on the whole "1/2 turn of the tire".

Just not a method I would suggest to someone new to building ball diffs.

If it works for some of you, great. I personally don't get it.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
I've never understood how people set their diffs with the "flick" method as some have called it How do you even know how hard to spin the tire? Is there some high tech calibrating process you use on your hand before giving her a spin.. I've tried "flicking" on my cars with diffs set where I want them and just seem to get widely varying, inconsistent results on the whole "1/2 turn of the tire".

+1 on the lazy spin to many variables not consistent at all
Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

I totally agree with you but this was my first diff build so i did what i learned from videos, but yeah seemed quite unprecise to me also
Old 11-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cridd
If your diff is fine, double check slipper with instructions that all parts are seated correctly and tighten nut down to flush. Make sure to compress the spring with some pliers before install.
Slipper is installed fine everything seated in its place, but i did not compress The spring so i"lll try that thanks, i compressed it on the diff though
Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Afun
How important is it to upgrade the shock stand offs? Seems to be lots of play within the shock cap on the stand off.

Had upgraded Schelle aluminum stand offs but a nut backed out. Ended up going to the stock to the front end....felt fine.
It's not that big of a deal and the "slop" isn't anything to worry about. If it has excessive up and down slop a new set of plastic bushings is extremely cheap.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Racer,

For reference:

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011...ed-tebo-video/

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011...yan-cavalieri/
Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cridd
Thanks a lot Cridd compressing the spring did the trick, i really felt the spring break in, sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked, love driving this buggy now if i can get the rear from kicking out off throttle and gunning it. I got plenty or sterring, no push just some more rear bite needed,Its not missing much to get it dialed out of the box on our track
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

If we are paying to the difference between a 1mm spacer vs a 2mm spacer....the slop or free range of motion the shock caps have on the stand off bushings has to significant.

I used the Schelle Stand offs and the shock caps did not move at all.

With the Composite Shock Caps or or V2 Shock Caps on the composite stock stand offs we have lots of movement. AE doesn't even offer a hop up for that. That may mean its OK. Just hard to accept the slop when we always tune for no slop.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, I need some help figuring out my buggy. It has been very frustrating at the end of last season and so far this season. It seems the rear never settles down and whenever I get on power it is very loose. The worst part is when I am turning. When I apply the throttle at the apex, the rear breaks loose and I spin.

I have tried different motors and esc's, tried different setups using the mid motor arms/front tower and the rear motor arms/front tower and have taken the whole car apart and rebuilt the thing. I didn't find any bent hinge pins or shock shafts. I have rebuilt the diff, changed the bearings and nothing seems to be helping. I even used my friends set of tires that were hooking up for him and it was slightly better. I'm not sure where to go from here. I am currently using this setup:

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...sJumps_Gay.pdf

It's funny when I first built the kit it was great. I don't know what heppened, but this has been frustrating!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Guys, I need some help figuring out my buggy. It has been very frustrating at the end of last season and so far this season. It seems the rear never settles down and whenever I get on power it is very loose. The worst part is when I am turning. When I apply the throttle at the apex, the rear breaks loose and I spin.

I have tried different motors and esc's, tried different setups using the mid motor arms/front tower and the rear motor arms/front tower and have taken the whole car apart and rebuilt the thing. I didn't find any bent hinge pins or shock shafts. I have rebuilt the diff, changed the bearings and nothing seems to be helping. I even used my friends set of tires that were hooking up for him and it was slightly better. I'm not sure where to go from here. I am currently using this setup:

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...sJumps_Gay.pdf

It's funny when I first built the kit it was great. I don't know what heppened, but this has been frustrating!
First things I would change is going longer on rear link, inside hole on tower, rear hubs all way forward, 27.5wt.on rear oil.

If still needing more after that. Try a stiffer frt spring and smaller spur gear to move the motor farther rearward. Run a sqaure or saddle pack if running mod. Research the oring mods for the rear waterfall.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gearing selection

I'm running my B5M in both stock and mod classes depending on what track I'm at. Kind of struggling with finding the right gearing for both classes. Been doing a lot of reading today and studying a gear ration chart, which brings me to my question. If for example a 81/36 and a 72/32 will both give you a fdr of 5.85, what determines the combination you go with? What would the difference be running each combination on the same motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.