R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree23Likes

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #15061
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not getting dragged into this argument on the internet again. I've explained all this countless times. I've even made youtube videos on the subject that went viral. Take or leave what I said, but I'm not going to respond with a technical argument against AE's "general tuning tips" that don't even begin to scratch the surface of the subject. I don't really care if you believe me or understand why what I say is the case. I'll accept PMs from people who want help.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #15062
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
I'm not getting dragged into this argument on the internet again. I've explained all this countless times. I've even made youtube videos on the subject that went viral. Take or leave what I said, but I'm not going to respond with a technical argument against AE's "general tuning tips" that don't even begin to scratch the surface of the subject. I don't really care if you believe me or understand why what I say is the case. I'll accept PMs from people who want help.
I'm just correcting your misinformation. Relax. There's no need to be so combative. Everybody is just here to learn. You stated empirically that changing your link length at the hub doesn't change roll center, which is completely incorrect. Changing your link length or angle on either end, CHANGES the roll center of the car as it is driven around the track.

To be more specific, if the car's suspension isn't moving at all (i.e. standing still), if you ONLY lengthen the link without changing it's angle at all, the roll center doesn't change UNTIL the car starts to roll. The moment the car's suspension starts to move, the longer link has a different "curve" in which the roll center changes. Not only does it provide less camber gain, it provides a lower roll center, when the car is fully leaned over compared to a short link.

Moving on.
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 08-13-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #15063
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I'm just correcting your misinformation. Relax. There's no need to be so combative. Everybody is just here to lean. You stated empirically that changing your link length at the hub doesn't change roll center, which is completely incorrect. Changing your link length or angle on either end, CHANGES the roll center of the car as it is driven around the track.

To be more specific, if the car's suspension isn't moving at all (i.e. standing still), if you ONLY lengthen the link without changing it's angle at all, the roll center doesn't change UNTIL the car starts to roll. The moment the car's suspension starts to move, the longer link has a different "curve" in which the roll center changes. Not only does it provide less camber gain, it provides a lower roll center, when the car is fully leaned over compared to a short link.

Moving on.
Believe it or not, I actually DO understand all of that. I too have ran the differences between where the RC is at rest and rolled in a suspension design simulator after changing the links around in all sorts of stupid ways. I *really* do have an in depth understanding of this subject. If you see something I've said that appears wrong, I promise you it is just a misunderstanding due to my goal of making things understandable and applicable when chassis tuning.

I really don't want to get lost in the weeds here over what I was trying to say, which is this, in extreme detail:

If your goal is to tune camber gain, make changes at the hub and not at the inside brace. There are multiple reasons this is advisable. First, the adjustments offered in/out are "half hole" and aren't nearly as dramatic as changes at the inside (that are far apart), which will REALLY jack your roll center up in addition to changing camber gain—I mean it's in a totally different world at that point for BOTH roll center AND camber gain. This is why AE came out with A/B hubs, because the A hub holes were too large of a change to be useful for camber gain tuning—anything other than middle A was junk! The second reason is that because the distance between the inner hinge pin and inner upper link is smaller than the distance between the outer hinge pin and outer link—the lever arm at the inside is already shorter than at the lever arm at the outside in nearly every modern offroad car (if the arms are level, the camber links sweep down toward the inside brace.) Any change to the inside—height, left/right, will have a larger percentage difference against the distance of the lever arm. This is only compounded by the fact that the steps in/out at the inside are HUGE.

This is why I made the following statement...
Quote:
you have to familiarize yourself with what camber gain does (the length of your link, best adjusted at the hub to not mess with roll center.)
When you change camber gain at the hub, the RC is certainly changed to SOME degree, but it is so small, it is dwarfed by the change introduced by the camber gain itself. You'll either like the camber gain change or you wont. if it feels better, then you go adjust roll center with links up/down if it feels off, but in my experience, it really doesn't need much, if any, adjustment.

Now, if you go tuning camber gain by changing the inside link, not only is the camber gain change huge, the roll center is obliterated—it's so far off the car may be undrivable (especially a 2wd buggy,) and then you really have to go MESS WITH roll center to even test your camber gain change.

That's the best I can do to clarify what I'm trying to say.

Do you agree with this assessment?

EDIT: By the way, the "ae tuning tips" thing was not directed at you at all—that came from another post, not yours.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #15064
Tech Adept

Hi,

Anyone know who makes this front wing?

Thanks,

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk

http://www.msdmodels.ie
MiCk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #15065
Tech Master

Those damn wings look like bicycle baskets for groceries. All I can see is a loaf of french bread and two apples sitting in it.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #15066
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCk B View Post
Hi,

Anyone know who makes this front wing?

Thanks,

MiCk B. :-)
Not sure but I saw this picture this morning and assume it may be a J-Concepts front wing.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #15067
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
Not sure but I saw this picture this morning and assume it may be a J-Concepts front wing.
Look closely, new rear wing?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #15068
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Those damn wings look like bicycle baskets for groceries. All I can see is a loaf of french bread and two apples sitting in it.
Just wait until people start painting them..

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #15069
Tech Regular

Do I remember correctly that to get the aluminum ae hubs to the height of the stock plastic ones, you have to space it up 2mm? Thanks
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #15070
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Just wait until people start painting them..

Wrapping them. Its coming....

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #15071
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
Do I remember correctly that to get the aluminum ae hubs to the height of the stock plastic ones, you have to space it up 2mm? Thanks
From the instructions that come with the hubs:

Quote:
With the stock hubs, you could run the insert in either the up or down position. Use a 1mm shim under the ball stud for the DOWN POSITION.
Use a 3mm shim under the ball stud for the UP POSITION.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #15072
Tech Elite

new front wing obviously but yes it looks like a new rear wing as well. most likely to balance the gain with the front end
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #15073
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
new front wing obviously but yes it looks like a new rear wing as well. most likely to balance the gain with the front end
The rear wing has been in development for a bit now. The front wing is definitely new. Maifield was using the new rear wing at nationals on his 22.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #15074
Tech Master

Man. These front wings. Never so much have I wished for roar to ban something. Bleh. LOL.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #15075
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Man. These front wings. Never so much have I wished for roar to ban something. Bleh. LOL.
X2, it's amazing how things snowball in RC.
GettinLapped is offline   Reply With Quote