Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FantomLeopard
I'm not gonna lie, although I would prefer the MM just because I already have a RM buggy, I like the chassis design a lot more on the RM B5 more. In the end, I doubt it will be a big difference or anything, and might even be the poorer choice of the two, but aesthetically speaking, I like it I wonder if there will be mods out to use either chassis in MM or RM form.. It would make the whole idea of having the two separate kits void, but I would still like to use that other chassis in MM form
Go mid-motor. Our track (Trackside Raceway in Wisconsin) is medium bite and mid-motors rock there!!!!
Lots of people "seem" to feel that you need very high bite for them to work--it's just not true. I think people have these ideas because certain "convertible" buggies (where you can switch from mid to rear) just don't work.
When you run a dedicated design (mid motor specifically) the geometry is such to maximize the buggy's performance.
Kudos to AE for releasing these dedicated designs!!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Turnbuckles for sure. Shock shafts? I dunno. Typically with uncoated shock shafts my oil will turn grey pretty quick. But on my sc10 4x4 shocks that didnt happen. So for me, it will be a wait in see thing on the shafts. As far as durability goes, no one knows for sure because its not out. But I can promise you, those turnbuckles are crap.
All shafts are coated (chromed). You can chuck your shafts into a dremel with some chrome polish on a rag and polish them. It makes them super smooth. Either way, the shafts don't contribute to oil contamination. They are by far the hardest component in the assembly.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

If your that worried about the shafts, the thought that I had was just to switch the shocks from my b4. And a set of lundsfords isn't going to break the bank either. I'll get a b5 after this summers offroad season, ft version or not.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
I wonder when we will see a more mid cab body? Seems like it would help balance the car.
Like this?

Originally Posted by Bcholka
Go mid-motor. Our track (Trackside Raceway in Wisconsin) is medium bite and mid-motors rock there!!!!
Lots of people "seem" to feel that you need very high bite for them to work--it's just not true. I think people have these ideas because certain "convertible" buggies (where you can switch from mid to rear) just don't work.
When you run a dedicated design (mid motor specifically) the geometry is such to maximize the buggy's performance.
Well, I'll just have to wait until I have the money My track is a little dusty though so I don't know how well it would work there. With the new year coming though I'm sure the release of the B5M will bring a couple people back and I'm sure I'll have the chance to try one out before making the jump!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bcholka
This continues coming up but what, exactly has been identified as a weakness with conversions?

The TLR 22 should be omitted since its motor is so far forward of the diff. But Kyosho, Xfactory, Durango? All of these are proven winners.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

[QUOTE=FantomLeopard;12860627]Like this?

Forgot about that one. The Finnisher came out so soon after it, it kind of got passed by. That and i don't think they did it for the long chassis did they?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Alright guys, you want to know why gull-wing arms on the MM then here it goes:
Shock angle progressiveness. Arm shock mounts like the OG RC8 and the T4 produce a softer shock the more it is compressed, OTH the lower the shock mount relative to arm the harder the shock gets the more it is compressed. That's why the MM gets a "stiffer" front shock package by design than the RM variety.
I would normally agree with you. The important thing you are talking about is the angle of the shock in relation to the arm as referenced to a line drawn from the lower shock mount to the inner hinge pin. The more laid down in relation to this line, the more progressive the shock. As you've pointed out, the B5M has a slightly gullwing arm which in essence lays the shock down more in relation to this line. However, AE have also changed the shock tower for the B5M which is slightly wider than the B5 tower. While this stands up the shock more in relation to the ground, it restores the lower angle in relation to the arm line to that of the straight arm with the narrower tower which means the B5 and B5M should have the same effective progressiveness between each car with the same equivalent shock mounting holes. Had the tower stayed the same between cars, you'd be correct.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

RC10B5 RM has been pre-ordered.... just need time to fly by so I can get that build on.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Turnbuckles for sure. Shock shafts? I dunno. Typically with uncoated shock shafts my oil will turn grey pretty quick. But on my sc10 4x4 shocks that didnt happen. So for me, it will be a wait in see thing on the shafts. As far as durability goes, no one knows for sure because its not out. But I can promise you, those turnbuckles are crap.
I have a Lunsford kit standing by. I won't use the stock turnbuckles just like I didn't use the stock ballcups on the B4.2 kit when I built it.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skrib21
Just pre ordered mine.

What is everyone's opinion on some must have factory team options that the B4.2 had?

I think for sure I will get some titanium turnbuckles.
How about the ti nitride shock shafts. I have never had a car without these?
Aluminum shock caps?
Ti nitride ball studs?

I am really only interested in parts that add durability or performance to the car all though a carbon fiber battery strap would be some nice bling.
It was mentioned that the B5 turnbuckles are the same as the B4.2, so the JC Ti turnbuckles are going on. I honestly don't think the Ti coated shock shafts are really needed. I like the plastic cap myself and have no plans changing it. I used the Ti coated ballstuds and the coating was rubbing off, and used the silver AE ball studs instead with happier results. I myself will immediately replace the kit bearings with Avid since kit bearings suck! Avid springs will definitely go on and the Avid Triad slipper since it's smaller, lighter and I think works better than the AE unit.

I Really like the design of the B5 & B5M, well thought out and uses key points from other designs. Can't wait.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FantomLeopard
Like this?

Well, I'll just have to wait until I have the money My track is a little dusty though so I don't know how well it would work there. With the new year coming though I'm sure the release of the B5M will bring a couple people back and I'm sure I'll have the chance to try one out before making the jump!
I still think this is one of the better looking bodies out there along with the Finnisher. If they brought back the Punnisher for the B5 series....WINNER!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will start with the turnbuckles from the get go and leave the rest and see how it holds up.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
All shafts are coated (chromed). You can chuck your shafts into a dremel with some chrome polish on a rag and polish them. It makes them super smooth. Either way, the shafts don't contribute to oil contamination. They are by far the hardest component in the assembly.
I dont know what to say. My gold shafts either make the oil clear or brown (dirt), the silver ones always are dark silver. I would also think the shaft is the hardest parts, but like i said, with silver shafts, my oil looks like it has metalic flakes in it. We can argue the science all day, but this is my experience with them.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pittsdriver
I have a Lunsford kit standing by. I won't use the stock turnbuckles just like I didn't use the stock ballcups on the B4.2 kit when I built it.
keep in mind, those ball studs on the b5 are probably metric. So what ever you had before might not work. Plus, the new ball joints look pretty good. I dont think it will be the same as with the b4.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
This continues coming up but what, exactly has been identified as a weakness with conversions?

The TLR 22 should be omitted since its motor is so far forward of the diff. But Kyosho, Xfactory, Durango? All of these are proven winners.
My experience since owning an X-Factory has been their efforts with creating "cvd bind" to assist with forward traction. It seems like the conversion vehicles work towards manipulating transmission height and adding weight for assisting with forward traction. As a result my personal experiences (along with observing others experiences) has been that conversions do fine on very high bite but dedicated mid-motor designs can excel on less than high bite. This is why I feel that anyone "on the fence" about MM shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger--especially if they're worried about traction levels at their track--the dedicated mid's ARE the future!!
BTW--this isn't just with X-Factory--the Centro's do great as well. I love my X but have a B5M on Pre-order for my son to run in mod--can't wait!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.