Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5 Rear-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5 Rear-Motor Thread

Like Tree32Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5 Rear-Motor Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Dressing up the old gal in a new body. Club racing tomorrow with it! Outdoor dirt racing with rear motors... whats not to love? (Even if I'm not vying for first place.)
jk racing, wombat and Mahjik like this.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wtf?

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Jaque View Post
Dressing up the old gal in a new body. Club racing tomorrow with it! Outdoor dirt racing with rear motors... whats not to love? (Even if I'm not vying for first place.)
Sheet Yuu Knot,I painted a rear motor body the same Yellow jus last Week ........Try n post tmmrw wit a Pic.Cheers Not quite the Same .lol
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.

Last edited by BmainStar; 10-29-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Awesome

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Jaque View Post
Awesome to see some posts still on the B5. I'm currently running a B5 in outdoor racing in Melbourne Australia. It's the only racing buggy I've ever owned, but I can say that I'm still within the limits of what the car can do and see no reason to upgrade just yet. Awesome to see you guys fitting B6.1 parts to it and having successful runs with it. Might be able squeeze a few more years out of the ol' gal. Plus, I get a laugh when we line up for qualifying and hear someone mutter "who has a rear-motor?". Will post some photos when I can.
I still have the rear motor I couldn't sell it .....because its just too awesome!!
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Just an update. I continue to club race (in 17.5) the rear motor B5 successfully against the latest and greatest MM buggies at my local indoor, fairly tight med-high grip clay track. Latest result was a 3rd out of 15 entries, top 6 guys in the A-main were essentially identical in speed (fast lap, top 3 consecutive, etc). And before that 2nd out of 21 entries where I really had a shot to win it but made a costly late driving error. I get asked all the time why I don't just run a MM car like everyone else. Truth is I've got this car well setup for my own driving style, aggressive steering but well behaved, with a little throttle and brake controlled "rear steer". The challenge of running something different has been kinda fun. And I have always liked, and have had good success with the B5, particularly outdoors. Old skool guys are kinda stubborn sometimes. Having said all that, I'll have a TLR 22 5.0 on the track before long, ha! I just like the changes they've made with that car, looks good.
Big_Show and Jumbo_Jaque like this.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I have long believed that the advantages of mid-motor, on anything but the highest traction surfaces, is overstated. A modern RM car is still very competitive. I’ll have to finish getting my B5 together to put this to the test.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

This is just my own opinion based on my experience with it... Is it faster than a MM car? No it's not, no surprise there. But here's the thing, under certain conditions (17.5, tight layout indoors, low grip outdoors), it still works surprisingly well with a good setup. I'm not the greatest driver by any means, but I'm able to push it hard enough to keep up most of the time just because of the comfort level I have with it. And granted, I do have a lot of racing experience. Run it in mod on a grippy fast open layout? Um no, you're gonna get smoked... The new cars are fantastic on these modern indoor clay tracks no doubt.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I think “modern indoor clay” is a misnomer. We’ve been running on slick & near slicks indoors since the mid-late 90’s The dirt hasn’t changed. The tires haven’t changed (I still have some Losi BK-bars, pink, they work great). They’re the same compounds and once worn down appropriately, the tread doesn’t matter very much. Mid motor is a marginal gain, in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a B6.1d. It’s my 3rd mm car, and I really like it, but I can’t say I’m any faster with it than I was with the last rm car that I had.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

T5 rear motor truck. The ST AE never gave us. Still running my B5 also.
mx836, will5879 and Jumbo_Jaque like this.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have recently run a rear motor B5 at a few events that had a rear motor class . It was interesting to find out my hot lap was almost identical so i know that the rear motor can be competitive but my consistency is down . Maybe i am used to mm cars but i feel its is just easier to drive consistent on a high grip surface with a MM vs RM . Nice thing about a RM car is you seem to always have traction lol This year when i do a few outdoor races i am definitely bringing it with me it might just be the ticket on a lower grip surface .
Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Big_Show, what is the wheel base? Using the Trophy Rat/DB10/SC10Pro rear arms (since those are a rear motor SC5M) an option? Looks like those are T6.1 rears.

I've gathered nearly all the components to do this myself, sans making a custom extended (if B5 based) or shortened (if Rat based) chassis. Oh...and time
Big_Show likes this.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racer56556 View Post
I have recently run a rear motor B5 at a few events that had a rear motor class . It was interesting to find out my hot lap was almost identical so i know that the rear motor can be competitive but my consistency is down . Maybe i am used to mm cars but i feel its is just easier to drive consistent on a high grip surface with a MM vs RM . Nice thing about a RM car is you seem to always have traction lol This year when i do a few outdoor races i am definitely bringing it with me it might just be the ticket on a lower grip surface .
Yes I agree. I also have a B6.1D and was running that in 13.5 buggy as a second class for awhile and noticed the same thing as what you are saying. And I think the difference is more pronounced as you strap in more power. When we raced outdoors on low grip I never managed to get my B5M to have the comfort level of the B5 no matter the setup. The RM car was kinda like putting on your most comfortable shoes, t-shirt, and jeans after wearing a suit all day...
Big_Show likes this.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jk racing View Post
Big_Show, what is the wheel base? Using the Trophy Rat/DB10/SC10Pro rear arms (since those are a rear motor SC5M) an option? Looks like those are T6.1 rears.

I've gathered nearly all the components to do this myself, sans making a custom extended (if B5 based) or shortened (if Rat based) chassis. Oh...and time
Axle to axle is right on 11". Rear a arms are T6.1 arms reversed left to right/right to left so the sweep is going backwards. Then I threw them in the mill and milled 4mm off the arms where they meet the D mount. I have a B5 I did this with B6.1 arms also. Moves the wheels back to reduce the pendulum effect.

It is a stock B5 chassis and tranny. Front end is T5M tower and A arms (milled the forward end out 1mm so I could move the caster block more forward), the following 6.1 parts- caster block, 3mm trailing steering arm. On the rear it has the Trophy rat tower. T6.1 arms, aluminium hubs, and axles. Also had to mill the wing tits off and make longer body mount on the wing mount to fit the 6.1 body. It does not fit right at the front tower. I have sat a T4.2 body on it and it looks better suited than the 6.1 Finnisher body. I will run it tomorrow night for the first time on a indoor loose dirt track. I call them the B/T5.1-R. I had the buggy at this track last tuesday and it was hooked up. Buggy has the 6.1 arms done the same as the truck on the rear. I will give a report when I get home around midnight EST. I have had the buggy on clay and can get equal lap times to my B6.1 with 17.5 motors.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thank you, options, love 'em
Big_Show likes this.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Ok track report. The track I was at last night RacinK, track record for current layout in open truck is 19.26 seconds. I ran the truck around 3 laps just setting trims and getting a little feel for it. 4 lap and 1st under full speed 20.3 seconds. First batt pack laps was consistent between 19.9 and 20. 7. It had a little push esp in a long sweeper with a jump in the middle of it. I had V1 buggy whites on the front and V1 buggy gray on the rear. For second batt pack I put V2 buggy greens on the front to help with the push. It worked, 2nd pack I was running 19.4 to 20.5 consistently. I let a buddy try the track that is one of the fast guys at this track, with his T6.1 his fastest lap has been a 19.4. He ran the T5.1-R 11 laps. His 1st lap was 20.4 and after couple laps to get used to driving a rear motor truck he pulled lap times in to the mid 19s. He ran back to back 19.11 and 19.18 laps on the 8th and 9th lap. So I believe the truck is a success on dirt. Now to see what it will do on clay. The buggy was about the same as last week mid 19s.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just rebuilt my B5 (my 1st ever 2wd buggy) and it is essentially brand new save for some screws and hinge pin mounts. The indoor track I run on is lower to med grip and in certain conditions it gets pretty loose, very tempting to toss some electronics in it and have a go with the B5. On the other hand I'd hate to remove the new luster off it in case I part with it...