V-spec Problems

Old 07-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default V-spec Problems

I am new to nitro. Well sort of. I bought a XB8 in January and went all out and picked up a O.S V-spec. I jumped into nitro because well everyone here runs nitro. Well anyway I broke it in properly (Heat gun,half gallon of fuel with little or no full throttle action). I can't get this thing to run right. I actually quit trying in January after 2 weeks of problems. I was upset that it is this difficult to get this thing to run right. I decided to try again in the last couple of days and it's still the same. It's not tuning either I have tried everything as far as adjustments, and idle. I am running sidewinder 30% fuel I even thought I ended up with bad fuel so I bought another gallon. I bought a new gas tank thinking I had a pressure leak no. New fuel lines. Nope. New clutch still didn't get the the thing to run. The only way to get it to run is to leave the GP Ignitor on then it will run horribly but it will run. It has never sounded like the other cars at the track from the get go. I have never run more than 4 laps without a flame out. I tried new plugs still nothing. I am about to give up on it. I just don't want to drop cash for a new motor until I am sure this one is toast. I wish there was such a thing as a warrenty on these things. Any ideas?

What about a cheap motor that I can be competitive with, something that is under $200.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

firstly i hope u put after run oil after you quit in January.

secondly do you know the Standard Needle Settings? If i stuff up my tune, i always go back to standard settings, which should be a rich setting and then you can gradually lean out from there.

finally if you cant get it starter yourself, its best to take it to your nearest track, when there is a club day on. most people there would be able to help you out.

anyway here is my diagnosis from what you say...

The only way to get it to run is to leave the GP Ignitor on then it will run horribly but it will run

you probably need

1. Hotter Plug - Vspec like P3 plugs
2. you are probably running on the rich side, try gradually leaning out the top by 1/4turns. (clockwise)
3. make sure the plug is on very very tight. turbo plugs need to be put on very hard to seal properly

Cheers
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Try 1 more head shim,When running 30% nitro you sometimes have to shim up.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Make sure your air-filter is clean.Have you had any trash get in your motor?You may need to take your carb. apart and clean it.I have a motor that wasn't running good,So i took my carb apart and it had some trash in it.I have also heard that the V-Specs front bearing like to have air leaks,most people end up using a Novarossi bearing.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

I had that issue with my engine running 30% also. I was told to run a colder plug and it fixed all my tuning issues. I run odonnell 99 when I can, when I can't get them I will run the MC 8. I ran 2 gallons of fuel and used 3 of teh OD plugs and that includes break in. I really like them.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

that is strange my vspec runs awesome, fired right up during break in and almost 2 gallons later I think I have had only 1 flameout, I'll count the # of turns I have my carb and I'll get back with you, I have only ever ran the p3 plug and have never fouled one. Remember os engines like 12% oil, I only run 20% regualr trinity horsepower.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I am sick and tired of this I am putting it up for sale. If anyone is interested in a V-spec with less than a gallon through it PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 07-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not to start a flame war or anything here, but I would recomend getting a P5 once you sell your OS. Not saying that the P5 is better or worse than the OS, but I know MANY racers who stand behind the P5...even for beginners. In my first nitro season (after many years of electric only), I have had excellent results with my Novarossi.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

P-5 is probably the best and smoothest motor you can buy.I have a Rex P-5 with a JP2 and a Werks adjustable clutch in my Jammin and its great.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

The P5 is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Vspec is the best

I use to have a sirio s27 in my buggy it was the worst engine to tune. it had bottom balls and a bit at top. But Now i bought myself the os Vpsec and its the ultimate buggy engine ive ever seen. easy to tune lots of compression after 2 gallons and the incrediable power ban at top end is something ive never seen before just like having a second gear but better.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

If your going to run 30% make sure you shim the motor to decompress the engine otherwise im running 20% without shimming the motor keeping it factory standard and mate not many people can beat me at the local race events.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just bought my 1st o.s motor.v-spec i run a rb ws7 motor and have great races with it. please let me know what i should look out for. im not a rookie to nitro and i do my breakin's right. so any positive information will be helpful.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Activeride
What about a cheap motor that I can be competitive with, something that is under $200.
get STS Dragon Engine (Tubro Plug) under $200.

it has same carateristic with RB S7. great engine.
lots of compresion.
i even burned my kick up motor in its break-in.

thx
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

get a novarossi n21b... its a 3port novarossi that really kicks but!!! at $190 or less, u can't beat it...

also tried a sts d21b... its also a kick ass engine and super easy to tune