Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Advice on what to upgrade. >

Advice on what to upgrade.

Advice on what to upgrade.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Advice on what to upgrade.

I've been club racing my Ofna Ultra LX2-e for two summers now, and I love it. I'm a consistent B-Main guy, but this coming summer I'd like to get to the "A"

Considering upgrades... Here's my question. Is it worth while to upgrade the intro-level LX2-e, or should I spend my funds on a new chassis like the Losi 3.0? (keep in mind, I have a losi 2.0 Truggy that I'm very competitive with.)

I really feel that I can be competitive with the Ofna. I mean, after a summer of fine-tuning, I feel like I need some more braking and power control, therefore I was considering purchasing a new Tekin RX8 motor/esc combo. Currently running a HW 150 esc and a Toro 1900kV sensored setup.

I'd like to know opinions on whether to continue investing funds into the Ofna to make it more competitive, or should I just invest funds into a more competitive kit like the Losi 8ight 3.0 or even a Kyosho, and use my existing electronics, and roll from there?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im not and 1/8th scale person but you cant go wrong with tekin! Great products and sure to do you some good work.

But if you want to consistantly do good all i can say is practice practice practice. I myself havent practiced in a while and i can already feel it starting to really affect my drving.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

your motor and esc are not holding you back imo. the tekin system wont make much difference. now upgrading chassis will help. the 3.0e drives beautifully, it is superior to the ofna in every way, it is the culmination of years of testing, tuning and refinements.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

^^^ A portion of me agrees with you, however this summer I drove a friend's Hotbodies buggy with a tekin setup in it, and my god... The way it braked just blew me away! When marshalling I observe the other buggies on the track, and so many seem to be able to come into a corner full tilt, then get on the brakes, and be good. Not me, I have to start braking 5 feet before the tekin guys...

So maybe that means my buggy is heavier? Maybe my driving style is different?

Maybe the 3.0 is the way to spend the cash???

More opinions?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The difference in braking probably related to the weight of the car. Ofna lists it at 6.2 lbs empty, a Tekno EB48 is about 7 lbs ready to run.

A new car is probably the better use of money. You may not need the latest and greatest but something that was designed more recently than 20 years ago would be a big improvement.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
^^^ A portion of me agrees with you, however this summer I drove a friend's Hotbodies buggy with a tekin setup in it, and my god... The way it braked just blew me away! When marshalling I observe the other buggies on the track, and so many seem to be able to come into a corner full tilt, then get on the brakes, and be good. Not me, I have to start braking 5 feet before the tekin guys...

So maybe that means my buggy is heavier? Maybe my driving style is different?

Maybe the 3.0 is the way to spend the cash???

More opinions?
yeah, i have the hb d812 and its awesome. i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it too. fine tuning your hw esc will help alot in the way it feels on the breaks too. fyi, i use a hw 120a sct pro and prefer it's feel ( on and off throttle+break) over all 1/8 esc other than the novak activ8( way to unreliable though unfortunately).
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Where are you losing out vs the A guys? Straights? Corners? Getting outbraked into a corner?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

I'm definitely getting out braked into a corner. My driving style lends itself to a smoother, rolling turn as is, but I find when it's time to get hard on the brakes, I'm on them much sooner than the tekin guys. Plus in any tight turning sections in the track, I see my competitors hard on the gas, then hard on the brake, and they're fast. Me, if I'm hard on the gas in a tight section, I'm not making my turn, period!

That's why I felt the esc/motor combo may make sense... After driving my buddy's HB with an RX8 in it, I felt I was finally able to do what I wanted to do in my Ofna. Drive hard, brake hard, and corner hard.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
I've been club racing my Ofna Ultra LX2-e for two summers now, and I love it. I'm a consistent B-Main guy, but this coming summer I'd like to get to the "A"

Considering upgrades... Here's my question. Is it worth while to upgrade the intro-level LX2-e, or should I spend my funds on a new chassis like the Losi 3.0? (keep in mind, I have a losi 2.0 Truggy that I'm very competitive with.)

I really feel that I can be competitive with the Ofna. I mean, after a summer of fine-tuning, I feel like I need some more braking and power control, therefore I was considering purchasing a new Tekin RX8 motor/esc combo. Currently running a HW 150 esc and a Toro 1900kV sensored setup.

I'd like to know opinions on whether to continue investing funds into the Ofna to make it more competitive, or should I just invest funds into a more competitive kit like the Losi 8ight 3.0 or even a Kyosho, and use my existing electronics, and roll from there?
For sure get the Tekin setup, ESC if nothing else.

As far as the chassis. Since you already have a 8ight T2.0, I'd seriously consider picking up a Losi buggy. Mainly because the two do share a number of parts, you already know and like the truck, you know the quality you're getting (or not), and there's tons of support for that buggy. Hard not to go wrong there. The only real question would be which buggy to snag. A new 3.0 or maybe a used 2.0? If funds are tight and you want to pick up both the Tekin system and the buggy, you may have to go the used 2.0 route for a minute or two. If funds aren't as big of an issue, go the 3.0 route and Tekin system. Though, I'd probably have to say that a used 2.0 buggy would probably be better than the Ofna for the most part. Just some food for thought.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From a setup standpoint what you describe is a car that is to heavy.

The reason it can't do what the other cars can is weight. Plain and simple.

Even the mighty Tekin combo can't overcome Sir Isaac Newton.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

There is inherent handling properties in the design of RC cars, some of which cannot be tuned away. The of a is not a bad car by any means, but the 3.0e will corner, brake, jump......... better.

When I get beat in a race, it has nothing to do with what ESC they have vs what I have. Corner speed corner speed corner speed..... Which car can carry the most speed while turning is far more important.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Dadic78: you have a mate with a rx8... what's wrong with him lending you it to fit in your ofna? That way you will see how much difference it will actually make instead of guess work to see if you really need it. Once you've decided what to do with the esc you can go on from there. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekno, losi, team durango all are great upgrade possibilities. Its Christmas you deserve a new buggy!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i agree with another buggy ... If you weigh a pound more then the competitors , thats basically 15% more weight to accelerate and decelerate and change direction hundreds of times a lap ! Thats like adding 400 lbs to a 2800lb car and expecting the same performance. Just isnt going to happen. You can buy Tekin all day long , and you will accelerate and decelerate better , but you still have a lot of turning to do . On top of that , you are using the same size contact patch the others are using , and thats not helping things . There are a ton of good deals on Losi 2.0 decked to the hilt right now . I have seen and driven a 3.0 , and its not going to outrun a 2.0 just because its a 3.0. either one will serve you well. More power wont fix the problem here I dont think...
Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i also agree with most people who have commented on this forum. the motor esc will not help a grate deal unless the esc is glitching or something. as far as the ofna buggy its not necessarily a top notch car. i drive kyosho both nitro and electric and find that the buggy is definitely more aggressive in the corners than some other cars at the track. but losi is also another buggy that you cant go wrong with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service