Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novak Pulse new power house speed controller! >

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Installed this tonight, excited to race it this weekend! Have to say setup was a breeze...

Dry run on street was very impressed by response and smooth consistent braking.

I will report Sunday race results!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've run two race days on mine.

Really impressed. Having the ability to save profiles in the speedo is a real bonus. Allows you to try different settings track-side.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is the cap soldered directly to the batt leads, or is it plug-in? Can't tell from the pics or descriptions.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

If only http://www.teamnovak.com/ worked so people could read about it.

And once again error codes through flashing LED's.. I hoped in 2013 it wouldn't be too much to have bluetooth/wifi connection and decent wireless configuration / error-output through a smartphone.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pygmy
If only http://www.teamnovak.com/ worked so people could read about it..
Yup... glad it's not just me
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
Is the cap soldered directly to the batt leads, or is it plug-in? Can't tell from the pics or descriptions.
The cap is soldered to the battery leads.
So easy to change / re-mount.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Site Down

I have heard they may be upgrading the system could be down for day or two.

The cap is soldered directly to Speedo. It is off to side i can snap a photo tonight just PM me.

I personally used hobby wing and tekin software systems, and they were cool. I just like the fact you do not have to load up a laptop. I can change my settings track side and after messing with it for half hour, i just about know how to change all of it by heart.

One cool thing is speed comes pre soldered with awesome 12 gauge wire. It very clean and neat.

On track test hopefully Friday and Sunday!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All good and well until it does a standard blovak and catches fire.

Yeah, I'm bitter about it. :P
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerob1983
I have heard they may be upgrading the system could be down for day or two.

The cap is soldered directly to Speedo. It is off to side i can snap a photo tonight just PM me.

I personally used hobby wing and tekin software systems, and they were cool. I just like the fact you do not have to load up a laptop. I can change my settings track side and after messing with it for half hour, i just about know how to change all of it by heart.

One cool thing is speed comes pre soldered with awesome 12 gauge wire. It very clean and neat.

On track test hopefully Friday and Sunday!
The Tekin has the ability to change between custom profiles trackside.

The Novak may have perfect solder joints because it is pre-wired, but you still have to solder the wires on the motor. Your best bet if you want perfect solder joints, is to get good at soldering.

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but you are going to get a lot of negative attention from everyone here. A lot of people (myself included), have had bad experiences with Novak products. You started a thread with great enthusiasm about a new Novak product, and you have a Novak logo for your avatar. Be prepared to catch a lot of crap.

I wrote Novak off when they spec'd capacitors marked with red on the negative post, soldered them up so the red marked negative posts were on the positive battery posts, and then proceeded to let the escs pass qc like that.

Again, good luck with the inevitable hate you will receive from this thread.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Cool Hm

I have had Tekin i actually used it in 3 setups Rx8 ,Tekin RS.

Nothing wrong with it but i am just not into running the same thing everyone else is. Kinda Ford, chevy, dodge deal...lol. I have had couple issues with their product and decided i wanted to try another manufacture. They also offered great customer service to fix the issues.

I am also in manufacturing and we have issues daily, hell everything i buy these day's i expect issues. Shit happens in manufacturing whether overseas or domestically. I have heard of the issue that novak has had, but look at Toyota for instance, they are as their marketing campaign says "moving forward".

The key thing is support if they did not support you than that is not cool. I do like the fact that they do manufacture in the US and the service is amazing.

The main test is racing so i look forward to running it this weekend. I have ran tekin and hobby wing so i think i will have a pretty good feel and i will give reports.

Btw.. i am a chevy guy lol
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know you had a Tekin. I made the point about the ability to switch between custom profiles on the Tekin because you said you liked how you could do that with the Pulse, but you already had that option with the Tekin. So getting excited about a feature that you previously had, seems kind of pointless.

The bad experience I had with Novak was as follows.

I was running a Ballistic 17.5 for a Novak points series. I got second in the series, and the prize for second was a Ballistic 17.5. So I put the new Ballistic in my car, with the same gearing, and esc settings. I sold my old Ballistic to a local racer that was moving from novice, and needed a 17.5 to replace his rtr motor. With the same gearing, motor timing, and esc settings, the new Ballistic was a dog and got hot. Then in the first qualifier it let the magic smoke out. Novak did replace my motor with a remanufactered one. They also included a rather condecending letter about correct motor gearing and esc timing.still, I explained exactly what I did with the new motor, and how I ran all of the exact same settings as my previous Ballistic, yet it still blew up, and they still sent the letter. I promptly sold the motor, and have not looked back since. Then Novak had the whole capacitor debacle, and I knew I made the right decision.

Good luck with the new esc. Hopefully it works very well for you.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Oh ok, i have had same issues with Xp steering servos, (still use them) , Spectrum receivers, (still use them and the knock off $10 ones ).

It happens, everyone has a preference me and about 3 guys i run with had Pro4 failures. Manufacture covered issue no big deal. But i do hear you it does get a little old sending product back.

I think every manufacture can have issues, actually i know for fact they do. If you think everything you buy is tested for Qc. I think you would be thinking wrong. Most dist / manufacturef do not even see the product they are shipping. Container lands product rolls ! Only think they test and see is sample. Manufacture depend exclusively on the factory to QC product.

My personal opinion is you were like me with Xp just that lucky...

Pro4 on other hand i think guys, including myself are just pushing that motor beyond its means. I pushed my pro4 motor to 200 degrees on some tracks. I also do think the Novak 550 can 4.5 turn motor can handle what you hand it. That is one reason i decided to go this route.

Thanks for your input, this is what this form is for opinions and past experiences ....

Last edited by racerob1983; 02-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Prophet

I ran the first Gen Novak GTB with a 13.5kv on my 2wd SC ive never had any issues with them at all just not the easyiest to change profiles on it.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with TC5 man im still on my original GTB as well. Im running a 17.5 ballistic motor with it however. Never skipped a beat...still finish in 5th or 6th place every time I take it out.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Pulse

If you are running sc 2wd buy Novak 10.5 or 8.5 that will get you podium !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.