Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Looking for an off road car >

Looking for an off road car

Looking for an off road car

Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for an off road car

Hey guys, I've been looking a lot recently for some good off road trucks/cars etc for all conditions (snow,rain,mud,dry etc) and was wondering what would be the best car in your opinion for under $300 and would meet some to most of these specs, just thought I could get some multi user input because I am stuck on which is the right one! (Sorry if this thread is useless to the forum, if it is please delete)

Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wyatt96 View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking a lot recently for some good off road trucks/cars etc for all conditions (snow,rain,mud,dry etc) and was wondering what would be the best car in your opinion for under $300 and would meet some to most of these specs, just thought I could get some multi user input because I am stuck on which is the right one! (Sorry if this thread is useless to the forum, if it is please delete)

Thanks
I don't know what the HPI E-Firestorm foes for, but it's pretty nice.
I have a Traxxas Rustler (i think they are about $200 but i'm not sure, i paid $169 9 years ago, i think that seems right.). Yep, found them online, $205.00 for the XL-5

Anyways, great car, very durable, can be quick, and they are water-Proof! i'd jump up a few teeth on the gear if you want more speed (best $3.00 upgrade i've ever bought). The stampede is a Monster Truck version and is fairly fun to bash around, but i've slapped the tires off the stampede on my rustler and was just as capable (if not more capable) than it was in my area.

Keep in mind everyone has personal preference and this is just mine, and also remember Traxxas isn't a racing or competitive brand, but it is a very popular durable brand with tons of after-market support.

Many people say to get the slash as it is a bit easier to drive, but i found it very boring and not too great for bashing in the wild compared to the rustler, (plus, it costs more!) Good luck and happy racing!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you are new, start with brushless from the beginning. Breaking in brushed motors, and having to replace them now and then is a pain.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

The Traxxas Slash 2wd RTR is a good choice. Super durable, waterproof and can handle any conditions. For under $300 you will have to settle for the 12T brushed version though. You will have to replace the brushed motor after a while, but they only run about $20. The Traxxas Rustler is also a good choice. Faster, but not as durable. Also, for under $300 you will have to settle for the brushed version. You could always upgrade either of these to the brushless VXL motor/esc somewhere down the road. Good deals for these are all over the place on eBay.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
If you are new, start with brushless from the beginning. Breaking in brushed motors, and having to replace them now and then is a pain.
I never broke in my rustler and it's still running, then again this particular rusty seems to be the exception to logic.

I'm not sure of any good brushless kits under $300, though i'd be curious to know (hey, good X-Mas presents for people!)

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
The Traxxas Slash 2wd RTR is a good choice. Super durable, waterproof and can handle any conditions. For under $300 you will have to settle for the 12T brushed version though. You will have to replace the brushed motor after a while, but they only run about $20. The Traxxas Rustler is also a good choice. Faster, but not as durable. Also, for under $300 you will have to settle for the brushed version. You could always upgrade either of these to the brushless VXL motor/esc somewhere down the road. Good deals for these are all over the place on eBay.
I was just thinking regular bashing, Slash isn't too bad at it, but it doesn't seem to go as far as the rusty without getting stuck.