Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What battery should i get? >

What battery should i get?

What battery should i get?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What battery should i get?

Hey guys, i am completely new to rc cars and wanted some advice from experienced drivers. I want to increase my monster trucks speed but dont feel i have enough knowledge to replace the motor. I have the old HPI E-Savage which is stock except from the battery which i got because my stock ones corroded. I now have 2 NiMH 4300mah 7.4v batteries. Basically i came across Lipo batteries which are supposedly better? My 2 GT 550 motors say 14.4v on the side but im not sure if that relates to battery voltage or what? I dont want to get a 5000mah 3s 11.1v Lipo and find that it messes with my ESC. My stock charger should be able to handle them. Or should i go with 7.4v Lipos to increase torque as i have started offroading?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

changing batteries is not going to do much for speed, as they will be operating at the same voltage. (though speed will increase a little with fresh batteries) Going to lipo will increase punch though, as lipo doesn't have the voltage sag that nimh does. I am not sure if the esc that the savage has has low voltage cutoff for lipo, but if it does going to lipo is the best choice, over getting more nimhs.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok i will go with Lipo, but should i get 7.4v which i know my truck will take or should i get 11.1v?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Does your esc support 3s?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Also be %100 sure your charger is lipo compatible or you could have a very bad situation on your hands.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
Also be %100 sure your charger is lipo compatible or you could have a very bad situation on your hands.
yes, make sure it can charge lipo, and preferable balance charge them too. You can get separate lipo balancers though, its just better to do it all at once.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RyanFlagg View Post
Ok i will go with Lipo, but should i get 7.4v which i know my truck will take or should i get 11.1v?
I am going to say no. A pair of 3s LiPo batteries will feed that ESC and motors at over 22 volts, if the system supports 14.4 then it would accept a pair of 2S batteries.

Just be sure you are ready to support LiPo's with a proper charger like VenturaDC said and that your ESC will do a low voltage cut off to keep you from running the batteries down too low.

LiPo will give a lot more punch than the NiMH will, and will be lighter, but do not expect a miracle of more real top speed.