Looking to get into 1/10 2wd Buggy Racing >

Looking to get into 1/10 2wd Buggy Racing

Looking to get into 1/10 2wd Buggy Racing

Old 12-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Looking to get into 1/10 2wd Buggy Racing

Hey everyone!
I am looking at getting back into RC Cars (it's been about 3yrs). I recently found out that there is a new indoor track a few miles from my house where they are racing 1/10th scale cars. So I am thinking about trying the 2wd buggy racing and as of right now I have nothing and would like to get everything by the end of the year. The hobby shop at the track carries AE, Losi, and durango So I would like to keep with that and I will buy from them as there pricing is the same as online and would like to support them.

What are some suggestions on motors, esc, TX, servos, and which Car? I would like to buy the right stuff from the beginning to eventually be somewhat competitive. Also the track is Dirt.
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Anyone of those cars are great. Its all just preference. Tekin gen 2 electronics and Orion electronics are absolutely great but a tad on the pricy side. You can look at hobbywing electronics too. Just as good but a little cheaper.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

like said depends on budget..

as for motor depends on how big/small is your track also if you want to run mod/stock..

im assuming its a clay track? get clay tires.. i like to run soft/super soft due to its winter and track stays more wet/slick ect and dont dry out as much compare to summer..

servos i use savox never had issues and great price..

as for buggy.. 22 2.0 is nice comes with pretty much all the upgrades and can go mid motor as the rango can too.. the 4.2 is great buggy also but no mid motor from factory. you have to buy a conversion kit if you want to run mid set up.

batteries theres lot to pick from just make sure its approved by your track if they check for roar.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help! I would like to stay under $1000 for everything if possible.
From what I found out it seems everyone is running rear mount and I think the motor they were saying was 7.5 if that sounds right (not sure if I got that correct). The track seems to be pretty small too.
I also saw that most of the people are driving the B4.2 and the LTR 22. What Radio is a good option in the 250 to 300 range (they sell Futaba, Airtronics, and specktrum?

Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I got an MT-4 airtronics not to long ago and couldn't be happier,I think it was on sale for 240$ at amain.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If the track is small they are most likely running 17.5 motors. For a radio, stay away from spectrum! I know and have heard of many people having issues with them. I have an Airtronics MT4 and love it. After reading I chose it over the Futaba 4PL. I held a 4PL and it felt big and clunky compared to my Mt4.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Everything you've listed is just about on par with each other, I'd suggest going to each company's website, do a little reading on each one and choose the one You like. If that's what the LHS carries hold each one and find out which one feels the best, like the person above thought the 4pl was big and bulky and I thought the mt4 was small and chincy, its all about personal preference.

All your going to get here is personal opinions, I'll tell you to run Futaba because its what I use, the next guy will say airtronics cause its what he uses, ect ect ect. The same goes for the vehicles you've listed. Go to the track and watch some of the racing and find out what the majority of the fast guys are running at that track and probably go with that so you'll have a wealth of setup knowledge and tips from the locals that know what works on your track.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer View Post
If the track is small they are most likely running 17.5 motors. For a radio, stay away from spectrum! I know and have heard of many people having issues with them. I have an Airtronics MT4 and love it. After reading I chose it over the Futaba 4PL. I held a 4PL and it felt big and clunky compared to my Mt4.
i have a DX3R and using the orange hobby king reciver and never had issues .. what was the problem ?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also use the DX3R with the orange RX for a couple months now and have yet to have a problem. Best 9 bucks I've spent in the hobby so far
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iMarky View Post
i have a DX3R and using the orange hobby king reciver and never had issues .. what was the problem ?
I have never had issues with any Spektrum product receiver servo radio's etc..

for equipment I would reccomend:
Car: Team Associated B4.2, Amain has a great deal for the car and Centro kit, use the coupon code for 25.00 off the listed price. Amain also has some good deals on Protek batteries. I use them and they are great. If your track is not good for mid motor than just skip the centro version.
Radio: Spektrum or Airtronics both have some good priced radios, I prefer Spektrum. There are some really good deals on Spektrum DX 3r Pro radios since the 4r just came out.
Servo: Spektrum 6040, not high dollar i have one three years old, has worked flawless.
Charger: Lots to choose from, just get a name brand one avoid the cheap knock offs. A solid ac/dc charger will cost about $100.00
ESC/Motor: tekin or orion. If you have a couple weeks before you buy tekin has a new esc RSX for mod racing. If you have a small track you may consider a Tekin RS Gen2 with an 8.5 motor. The RS only reccomends down to 8.5. Orion is solid stuff but tech help is not as good as Tekin.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by Subwire View Post
I got an MT-4 airtronics not to long ago and couldn't be happier,I think it was on sale for 240$ at amain.
10% off store wide amain I believe right now.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, with all you need 10% right now is killer deal!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the help! I am going to run over there today they are suppose to have a bunch of racing going on all day. I am going to check out amain as well with the 10% off disc
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

is there a coupon code for the 10%? i just purchased something there yesterday and did not see it?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan1942 View Post
Thanks everyone for the help! I am going to run over there today they are suppose to have a bunch of racing going on all day. I am going to check out amain as well with the 10% off disc
That is a best place to start since your three choices are all winners, talk to some of the folks there, and I would also suggest that even if you end up running the hottest 7.5 turn mod buggy there that you put a 17.5 in your option box. It will do wonders for not just your driving style but will really help you fine tune the setup on your buggy as well..

I like Losi myself, but the other two have my respect and admiration. I might end up skipping durango though as they only do saddle packs... but that is because I would then be in the market for a new lipo shape But I guess a ground up buy in puts them all on the table

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service