R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   1/10 buggy Question, Serpent Spyder Vs. Durango Dex210 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/778212-1-10-buggy-question-serpent-spyder-vs-durango-dex210.html)

iclrag 12-12-2013 05:50 PM

1/10 buggy Question, Serpent Spyder Vs. Durango Dex210

I guess the title covers the main question.
I think i've chose my first buggy, but i keep hearing about the Dex210 and i just feel drawn to the serpent spyder, however, i also feel like i'm missing something massively important, if these were really as amazing as their almost cult follow would suggest, why are there so many die-hard Kyosho, Lose, and Associated fans? I guess i'm trying to find out what's so special about them. I do like the RM / MM swap-ability, and the price (some other competitive kits seem to be twice that). I'm also concerned about after-market availability, i can't see many (if any) large parts groups selling after-market stuff for them, granted 90% of the stuff I look at is counter-productive.
Mainly just curious for now as i would like to step up to a competitive buggy in the future, I just would like to start learning now.

Dex210
-Awesome versatility
-I hear it's a engineering night-mare for working on
-Competitive Kit
Serpent Spyder
-Built from the ground up as a comp. buggy
-Seems unique in it's own way
-Looks competitive (I can't explain why, but when i look at it (body on or off) it just feels that way)
-Competitive Kit

So are these two like Chevy and Ford for cars? i hear people bash the crap out of them and others practically worship them. If the are even half as good as people claim i may move to one or the other after i learn a bit more.

Incase you haven't noticed yet, i usually have about 50 Plans in my head and through trial and error, or, process of elimination, choose my favorites. I also like to have about 9-10 projects at the same time to keep me occupied in my free time (i get bored / distracted a lot and like to switch it up).
Realistically i'll probably get started on the rusty (motor, esc, and maybe a couple other things) then get a buggy and start working on it and experiment on the rusty as i setup / tune my first buggy properly.

(just didn't want people to think i was wasting their time changing ideas all the time, i just like to absorb a ton of info at once (links to other long threads are awesome!) and compare / decipher opinions and see what appears to fit me the most) Thanks everybody for your input so far, it's great appreciated!

Woulvesbaine 12-12-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by iclrag (Post 12808765)
I guess the title covers the main question.
I think i've chose my first buggy, but i keep hearing about the Dex210 and i just feel drawn to the serpent spyder, however, i also feel like i'm missing something massively important, if these were really as amazing as their almost cult follow would suggest, why are there so many die-hard Kyosho, Lose, and Associated fans? I guess i'm trying to find out what's so special about them. I do like the RM / MM swap-ability, and the price (some other competitive kits seem to be twice that). I'm also concerned about after-market availability, i can't see many (if any) large parts groups selling after-market stuff for them, granted 90% of the stuff I look at is counter-productive.
Mainly just curious for now as i would like to step up to a competitive buggy in the future, I just would like to start learning now.

Dex210
-Awesome versatility
-I hear it's a engineering night-mare for working on
-Competitive Kit
Serpent Spyder
-Built from the ground up as a comp. buggy
-Seems unique in it's own way
-Looks competitive (I can't explain why, but when i look at it (body on or off) it just feels that way)
-Competitive Kit

So are these two like Chevy and Ford for cars? i hear people bash the crap out of them and others practically worship them. If the are even half as good as people claim i may move to one or the other after i learn a bit more.

Incase you haven't noticed yet, i usually have about 50 Plans in my head and through trial and error, or, process of elimination, choose my favorites. I also like to have about 9-10 projects at the same time to keep me occupied in my free time (i get bored / distracted a lot and like to switch it up).
Realistically i'll probably get started on the rusty (motor, esc, and maybe a couple other things) then get a buggy and start working on it and experiment on the rusty as i setup / tune my first buggy properly.

(just didn't want people to think i was wasting their time changing ideas all the time, i just like to absorb a ton of info at once (links to other long threads are awesome!) and compare / decipher opinions and see what appears to fit me the most) Thanks everybody for your input so far, it's great appreciated!

Where are you racing these cars? I've owned the Dex210 among other cars and I've driven the Serpent. I preferred the Serpent. It just drove better for me.

That being said, the 210 is a good car. There are tons of aftermarket parts for the 210 from Exotek and, my favorite, RDRP http://www.revolution-rc.com/.

The Serpent likely does not really need much out of the box. I drove the RM and felt as planted as a Team C with steering like a b4.

The 210 in mid motor generally performs better with a little weight right under the motor, which you can accomplish with one of these (note there are different toe in and antisquat configurations): http://www.revolution-rc.com/our-pro...mount-153.html.

I've not tried the Serpent MM, but it should be worth looking into. You'll have to wait till January or get your hand on a team driver's ride before then if you're lucky.

silvalis 12-12-2013 06:05 PM

They are all competitive. Just take everything you read with a grain of your favourite condiment and pick the one you think looks the best. What one person raves about the next guy is meh. It's got a lot to do with (1) driver (2) setup (3) flavour of the day. For example, I think the RB6 is the best and the rest is all rubbish. Except the Schu KR. That one is pretty.

Between those two, I'd pick the Serpent. I had a dex210 on release and it was nice and reasonably easy to work on, but sometimes seemed to strike me as a bit overcomplex. Use 2 parts to accomplish what other buggies did with one. The front lift up thingy is an example of that. Nice idea. Not entirely sure what the point was.

fivepointnine 12-12-2013 06:44 PM

I had the DEX210...It was a NIGHTMARE to work on when you broke something. Plastics are soft and can strip easy. Too heavy to be competitive in 17.5 in my opinion. It was OK for me, but my B4.2 with the same electronics and gearing is WAY faster.

I would get the Serpent, although it looks like it used the Durango as a design basis.

ThePanda 12-12-2013 06:55 PM

try both, if you can. one might work, one might not, both might, but unless you can try them, you won't really know which is best.

iclrag 12-12-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 12808957)
try both, if you can. one might work, one might not, both might, but unless you can try them, you won't really know which is best.

One of these days Daves will open again and maybe i can talk somebody into letting me try it, no clue when though. In the mean time, anybody know any indoor tracks around oregon? it seems like the only two within a couple hours drive shut down.

dan_vector 12-12-2013 08:28 PM

My friend has the Durango and I have the Serpent. Comparing the 2 side by side there is no contest for me. The serpent is way lighter, smoother and drives better than the Durango in either configuration. I can't wait for the Serpent MM version to come out in January as I feel it will suit the track here more than the RM. I'm running the serpent totally stock and it is awesome! Get the serpent you won't regret it.

Bracket 12-12-2013 08:28 PM

I just switched from a 22 to a DEX210, and I like it so far.

The gearbox is a bit of a hassle. The camber block is built into the case, so if you break it, you must replace the entire case, or use an aftermarket block thing. If you're running rear-motor, the gearbox also attaches to the chassis top deck piece, making it even harder to remove.

They've since released a "version B" gearbox and top deck that makes it easy to take the gearbox out and strengthens the camber link mounts, but good luck finding any of these parts. They're sold out almost everywhere, and I can't even find that top deck piece on Durango's website! (Not needed if you run it MM, but I'm sticking to RM.)

iclrag 12-12-2013 09:08 PM

The serpent sounds superior in design, i hadn't heard the heavy part before, but that's good info!

novice racer 12-12-2013 09:23 PM

Let me be the first to say it takes a lot to stray me from losi. I did however go with the DEX210. I wanted a buggy I can run MM with a full size pack. Durango was able to do this. I do also love how the suspension locations never change from MM to RM and how the car only needs one gear box. I havent tried a serpent but I would recommend a DEX210 if you are considering it.

shagino 12-13-2013 04:19 AM

Does either have parts support at your track? Will you rely on local expertise? These questions should help you decide if you should go AE or Losi.

Personally, I just switched from a DEX210 to a SRX-2. I'm way faster with the Serpent. It's out of the box ready where as you should replace a few things on the DEX210. Steering rack, RF hanger/shock towers.

DEX210:
Pros:
Cheaper. Used rollers are going for $125 and less.
More configurable. MM is a out of the box option.
Parts support may be better.
Lots of aftermarket options

Cons:
Heavy
Configurability comes at a cost. A lot of people think that convertibles have to sacrifice somewhere. That's why serpent is coming out with a separate kit and isn't convertible.
You'll spend more getting it race ready.
Unique wheel sizes.

Serpent:
Pros:
Close to ROAR minimum out of the box.
A lot of after market type parts already included. CF shock towers/CF battery strap.
Stock setup is easy to find and a lot of people are still using it.
Common rear wheel size. 12mm
Kit starting price is a damn good value

Cons:
Parts can be harder to find.
Parts seem more expensive to me.
Front wheel size is unique.

For me, Serpent was the right choice.

iclrag 12-13-2013 05:46 PM

Hmm, i'm not sure i like the unique wheel size thing, that seems kinda weird.

joelwhite 12-13-2013 05:59 PM

I havta say, having had both car, well many different buggies. Out of the two, Ive liked the Serpent more. At 299 it has everything you need, and the nice carbon fiber bits too. It has some of the stuff I found cool on the Dango, the captured rear cvd in the really big bearing, the castor and toe adjustment inserts.

Spyder has the triple disk slipper stock, same type of slipper adjustment as the Dango, but the Serpent topshaft setup feels nicer.

The Serpent had the cool stuff without feeling over complicated like I always felt with the Dango was. The captured rod ends are nice too. Just an odd size, 4.5 mm so get ya a driver you will need it.

Not as many bling parts for the serpent. With exotek and tresrey you can bling-blow the helloutova dango.

The Serpent is a mellow neutral car with the starting setup they post on their site. Drives very well.

Both of em had not the most awesome instructions. they both build well, but a couple odd deals in the manual.

If I were buying again, Id get the serpent.

tony montana 12-13-2013 06:15 PM

the serpent all the way. I had the dex210, its really not a bad car. But the serpent just drives better. Do not forget the 210 uses a odd ball rear hex, a 14mm. Like said above, out of the box setup is really good on the serpent. The shocks are butter smooth.For 299, its the best deal of any car right now IMO.

shagino 12-13-2013 06:32 PM

Also, if you check the Serpent thread, it's filled with guys that switched from Durango. I like Durango but my Serpent is better.