R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default center diff question

hey guys!! need a little help. what are the effects of having thicker oil in the center diff compared to having a lighter oil? thanks
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Thicker oil slows down the diff action. The thicker the oil, the more input power it takes to make each end spin at a different speed. In effect, the thicker the oil the closer you get to a solid center drive. The only time I've ever used really heavy oil (60 to 100K) was in a truggy to control unloading the driveline to the front wheels. Of course the trade off (there is always a tradeoff) is a loss of steering reaction, as the oil gets thicker push in corners gets worse.
fhm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

OK heres my question on this,

I am new to 1/8 buggys, just got a mayhem pro, according to the manual a lighter fluid in the diff will provide more front wheel drive action, and a heavier fluid will give more rear power.

I have been having an issue with the rear of my buggy being loose in the rear end when accelerating out of a turn.

will a heavier center diff fluid help keep the rear of the buggy from unloading comming out of a 90 degree corner and getting loose.

I have been playing with the suspention setup and feel i almost have this thing dialed in, im currently running 7k-F, 3k-C, 1k-R and it still slides a little too much for my liking, it is not uncontrollable but i need to tighten it up a bit.

Center diff fluid only question here.
Thanks
ETRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

You are too thick in the front diff and too thin in the center diff. I woud change to 5kf, 5kc, 2-3kr. Maybe go to 7k in the center if you want a more aggressive feel during accerleration.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

When you run a thicker oil in the center diff, the power will hit harder. The only time you really want to run a heavy weight oil in the center is on a smooth high traction track, and you would run 10k. Otherwise 7k is the best choice you can make on just about any other track. This will make the accelerate hard, but still be controllable on loose surfaces and still give you good steering response. You said your buggy was loose coming out of a corner, try 7k in the center and leave everything else the same. If it still feels the same or it wasn't enough of a change, try what davidka said, go a little thicker in the rear, 3k. What type of surface are you running on?
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info, the track is hard packed but tends to get dry and dusty quickly, it also gets a lot of fluff turned up just outside the grove.

Could you please explain your statement of "the power hitting harder"?

Wouldn’t a heavier center diff fluid distribute a more equal balance of power to the front and rear at the same time, as opposed to sending all the power to the end of the buggy that has the least traction?

Thanks again
ETRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yes, the power does get sent more equally to both ends of the car and because of that, it feels as though the power is hitting harder.

When you have a lighter weight oil in the center, as you accelerate the front end is being picked up, therefore the front tires will spin more than the rears, therefore making the power hit a bit smoother.

I know this sounds confusing, but that's how it works. From the way you described your track, it seems low traction. I would recomend 5k front, 7k center, and 1k rear.

This is the best starting point for every track. If you are going to play with any diff, try the front, that determines how your car pulls out of the corners and turns in long, sweeping corners. Because it seems low traction, you'll want to stick with lighter fluids in the diffs.

I hope this helps.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote