Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle Creations 1410 3800kv 4pole 2s issue >

Castle Creations 1410 3800kv 4pole 2s issue

Castle Creations 1410 3800kv 4pole 2s issue

Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
In that case I am willing to bet both 2s packs are bad. See if you can borrow another from someone. And you mentioned you are not loosing steering which tells me it is not the brownout issue either.
For me to try someone elses battery will have to wait tell saturday or tuesday. Friday night and Sundays are race days.

Like i said in other post this didnt happen until i got this motor esc combo. batterys may be old. but to run both 3s fine and have the same issue with both 2s. Doesnt make it same like bad packs. according to my charger there both balanced and fully charged when i plug them in.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

20c packs in a high draw system is asking for trouble, I've ran the same system in the same truck and it makes 50c packs warm. Hopefully you're not expecting much more then 10min run time as well. A good pack like a Team Great Hobbies 6500mah 50c or 6600mah 99c pack should solve your issues. What power system did you have in it before? The rtr system is a much lower kv system.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I was running the stock electronics out of a hpi Vorza.

Im not really expecting much out of these 2s. Just would like to figure out if the packs are bad or if im having some other issue. Im planning on picking up a couple protek 7.4v/5600mah 100c packs.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is the voltage cutoff set to?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The 4 pole systems can draw a lot of current. I use SMC packs and the one I had the issue with you could definitely feel when you ripped full throttle that it just did not have the get up and go and would fall flat on it's face halfway down the backstretch. I am using a different esc and motor combo from you though. I run just about every weekend and these packs are about two years old also. I am willing to bet the stock system was not pulling the current like current setup.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 AM
dtr
Tech Master

When charging the 2s batteries how long are they balancing? A long time is a sure sign of the pack getting old.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I will put my vote on the 2S packs being old and tired, also if they have a low C rating they will suffer under the demand of a 4 pole motor.

Borrow that battery this weekend, and if you replace do not even look at anything lower than a 40C, and higher is better.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Im borrowing my buddys castle link an will check all my settings tomorrow. I doubt ill get around to borrowing a good high c 2s pack tell tuesday as i need to work on my truck tomorrow. Will let you know what i find out.

Im running a hitec x4 charger. In charge mode the 2s take around 40mins 3s around 60mins i could be off on those times though as i cant remember for sure. In balance mode id say it takes around 40-60mins to get to either 8.39-8.40v or for the 3s 12.59-12.60v an it just sits there charging at like 0.0-0.3a until my safety timer goes off at 120mins. After the time goes off i double check my cells and there all either 4.18-4.20
Old 12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default brown out

First, add a good size capacitor to your receiver. See if that helps. Usually when the amp draw goes up on the esc, it sucks up a lot of juice from the old batteries. If the batteries are not up to the task you may have that as an issue. I'm betting it is your batteries. Either that or your ESC may have been damaged and not all the transistors are firing, which means loss of power.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperFastSnail View Post
First, add a good size capacitor to your receiver. See if that helps. Usually when the amp draw goes up on the esc, it sucks up a lot of juice from the old batteries. If the batteries are not up to the task you may have that as an issue. I'm betting it is your batteries. Either that or your ESC may have been damaged and not all the transistors are firing, which means loss of power.
When I had Castle brownouts it would kind of stutter/reboot or in extreme cases the car would never get going at all with the servo spazzing like crazy. Running soft a short time into the run just sounds like a battery issue. But with Castle, the cap is a good idea none the less.

And I don't think 3S vs 2S feed would make a difference in the BEC acting up or falling short. If it sends 3A to the radio gear and the radio gear wants 4A or 5A then it will never supply enough no matter how much battery you hook up. You simply can not outperform your bottleneck.