Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default New owner of a MM

I just received my kit. I have a few Q's. I have read the thread but haven't had the time to read the whole thing due to work. Basically I have the Kyosho Xrings and am wondering if there's any particular way you guys are installing them or just replace the stock ones with Xrings and that's all. I did read the new run of o-rings are pretty decent but Ive always had good luck with the K rings. How do I know I even have the new rings?

Second what are your experiences with the gear diff. Track will be a med-high traction clay track. I ordered the Carbide diff balls as well, and will prob not build the diff until I get those in.

Third, experiences with saddle and shorty packs???

All in all I did a lot of research before I bought this kit, I used to run for Schumacher and have plenty of experience tuning/running a MM car. I will prob buy the RM at some point as well. The kit just has good quality not a hunk of junk plastic that is typical and I like to spend my hard earned cash on quality products, I dont care what everyone is running and never did. I cant wait to run this thing.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv2382 View Post
I just received my kit. I have a few Q's. I have read the thread but haven't had the time to read the whole thing due to work. Basically I have the Kyosho Xrings and am wondering if there's any particular way you guys are installing them or just replace the stock ones with Xrings and that's all. I did read the new run of o-rings are pretty decent but Ive always had good luck with the K rings. How do I know I even have the new rings?

Second what are your experiences with the gear diff. Track will be a med-high traction clay track. I ordered the Carbide diff balls as well, and will prob not build the diff until I get those in.

Third, experiences with saddle and shorty packs???

All in all I did a lot of research before I bought this kit, I used to run for Schumacher and have plenty of experience tuning/running a MM car. I will prob buy the RM at some point as well. The kit just has good quality not a hunk of junk plastic that is typical and I like to spend my hard earned cash on quality products, I dont care what everyone is running and never did. I cant wait to run this thing.
You just replace em with kit orings. If I were you give the kit ones a try. they've been updated.
Ball diff is always the way to go and will give you the best performance, unless you run on sugared tracks.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kwiksi View Post
You just replace em with kit orings. If I were you give the kit ones a try. they've been updated.
Ball diff is always the way to go and will give you the best performance, unless you run on sugared tracks.
Ok cool. I already built the shocks with the K-rings so I'll just keep the kit ones as spares. I have the carbide stuff on order so Im just going to wait to build the diff properly with the right stuff. Hows the kit setup? I hear/read good things
Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Kit setup is really good.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Giving my stock motors a break and running mod for a while. This was my first time dropping a mod motor in the MM buggy. The set up I ran was good for a TQ and a win. The car was great all day. Once in a while the rear end would get loose in a corner but it only happened a few times. I really liked the extra weight from the Brick pack and the stickon weights added to the front,car felt very stable. Overall im really happy with my first run in mod.

Set up
http://dialedsetups.com/default/sheets/view/id/1426
Attached Thumbnails Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread-cam01846_zpsu5cbyez8.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Nice job Eric. I also went racing yesterday. We had A-C mains in mod buggy. I qualified 4th and finished 4th. My car was not very good yesterday. I had to really work hard to keep my position. I tried a few different things yesterday. Put associated green front and white springs on the car. Changed the front camber link to the inside hole. Car just would not turn yesterday. We run on a outdoor 1/10 only medium bite but high abrasive track. Eats tires. The m3 ions I ran 1 qualifier and one 6 minute main and they are slicks now. Just need a little more steering.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Nice job Eric. I also went racing yesterday. We had A-C mains in mod buggy. I qualified 4th and finished 4th. My car was not very good yesterday. I had to really work hard to keep my position. I tried a few different things yesterday. Put associated green front and white springs on the car. Changed the front camber link to the inside hole. Car just would not turn yesterday. We run on a outdoor 1/10 only medium bite but high abrasive track. Eats tires. The m3 ions I ran 1 qualifier and one 6 minute main and they are slicks now. Just need a little more steering.
Have you tried the number 3 ackerman? I personally haven't yet but Daniel C. prefers it on tighter tracks where there is a lot of 180's and sharp turns.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been running #3 ackerman alot lately. It's worth giving a shot if you are looking for more steering in tighter sections of the track.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

elex300, for your setup you might try just moving the hubs .5mm forward. I find moving a full 1mm is a big change for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
elex300, for your setup you might try just moving the hubs .5mm forward. I find moving a full 1mm is a big change for me.
I will give that a shot next race. I also think I could have fixed it with a different rear tire choice. Maybe something like a Splitter since there was a few dusty spots where the groove was gone from the track breaking up.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey out of curiosity, is there a list of parts to convert a RM over to a MM without buying a whole new kit? I want to try MM but don't have a budget to buy a whole new car
Old 06-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcman182006 View Post
Hey out of curiosity, is there a list of parts to convert a RM over to a MM without buying a whole new kit? I want to try MM but don't have a budget to buy a whole new car
For what it will cost you to buy the parts individually you will be able buy a mm version. Maybe try to scoop one up off the classifieds?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Bought the ally front bulk head and the play in the hinge pins is ridiculous. Anyone notice this? Has anyone run the car like this? Or are you guys just using the plastic piece?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv2382 View Post
Bought the ally front bulk head and the play in the hinge pins is ridiculous. Anyone notice this? Has anyone run the car like this? Or are you guys just using the plastic piece?
I drilled and tapped the bulkhead for grub screws- 2 per side. The play is in the plastic insert, but tightening grub screws against it takes it all out.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Jonny5;13340018]I drilled and tapped the bulkhead for grub screws- 2 per side. The play is in the plastic insert, but tightening grub screws against it takes it all out.[/QUOTE

This kind of upsets me TBH. Spending money on option parts that need altering is pretty pointless. If anything the option parts should fit even better. Hope this thing makes up for it on the track. Ive contacted Serpent about this it shouldnt be sold like this. They sell high quality kits...just unacceptable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.