Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billy1184 View Post
Ok guys. Looking to get this car. We race on a sugared race track with alot of traction. All the guys here race the b5m and I dont want to be like every one else. Do you guys think this would be a good choose?

Absolutely! We run on a extreme traction track that is sealed clay. I am faster with the MM over the RM and I am one of two Serpents at our track. We have lots of B5M and Losi's. The Serpents are always in the hunt for TQ or podium.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for any info. The fast guys are all on b5m's and all say they are the easiest to drive. . I have a b5 rear motor and want to get a mid motor car. But I really dont want to be like the other 12 guys. If the b5m is the way to go then I will have to go thst way.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The Serpent MM is excellent on high bite tracks, but what I feel sets it apart from many other MM cars is that the performance doesn't drop off when grip goes down. It has a tremendous amount of rear traction, but because of all of the tuning options in the kit you can tune it to your liking.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Having driven the B5M and B5R as well as owning both Serpents. You will not be disappointed buying a Serpent. The car feels a lot like the B5 with the addition of the car feeling very smooth. Jumps like no other buggy and very smooth on landing. And the cornering just feels very planted. It is easy to push the car fast. I was .5 a lap faster going to the MM car.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Also I was always an AE guy. But like you I wanted to try something different. Parts are not an issue if your LHS does not stock them. Serpent America has everything and ships fast. Also AMain. And there is a growing aftermarket support now with Jconcepts and Exotek. But you may only need a few items as the buggy is race ready out of the box.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billy1184 View Post
Thanks for any info. The fast guys are all on b5m's and all say they are the easiest to drive. . I have a b5 rear motor and want to get a mid motor car. But I really dont want to be like the other 12 guys. If the b5m is the way to go then I will have to go thst way.
Nice speaking with you today. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ballstuds? Okay, the stock ballstuds are okay, but being they don't have much meat on them they tend to build up quite a bit of slop pretty easily and quickly. I'm looking to go with titanium ballstuds and standard ballcaps. Question is, does anyone know of a kit setup already for the serpent out there for the ballstuds? I see lunsford has ones for most cars except ours.

Also, what are the dimensions for the "Pivotball with shaft high", the "low" and "medium"?? It'd be nice to be able to know the dimensions without whipping out the calipers.

So far our cars require (minus the ones on the servo which I'll keep stock):
QTY 4 "low"
QTY 10 "Medium"
QTY 8 "high"
Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tropmonky View Post
Ballstuds? Okay, the stock ballstuds are okay, but being they don't have much meat on them they tend to build up quite a bit of slop pretty easily and quickly. I'm looking to go with titanium ballstuds and standard ballcaps. Question is, does anyone know of a kit setup already for the serpent out there for the ballstuds? I see lunsford has ones for most cars except ours.

Also, what are the dimensions for the "Pivotball with shaft high", the "low" and "medium"?? It'd be nice to be able to know the dimensions without whipping out the calipers.

So far our cars require (minus the ones on the servo which I'll keep stock):
QTY 4 "low"
QTY 10 "Medium"
QTY 8 "high"
Your kidding right? These ball cups have less slop than anything else I've ever owned(TLR/Kyo/Durango). I've got several race days and buggy is still tight.

Last edited by kwiksi; 05-20-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I agree. I have 8 race days on my car and the ball cups have no slop. Nor does any other part of the car.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

nope, not kidding at all. The front end C-hub's have built up some slop as well. I have about 10-12 race nights and 4-5 practice days on the car. Running on the large track at OCRC with off camber drops and turns takes a beating on the links.

Everyone else running the serpent srx2 mm at OCRC also want to change out the ballstuds/ballends as well. I've snapped a few of them where they break on the outside of the ball-end (plastic part), and I've replaced quite a few due to the ballends getting sloppy. The front steering linkages have gotten pretty sloppy as well so I've purchased the aluminum steering rack and will be installing that once I get the new ballends/ballstuds. Possibly before.

I guess I'll be measuring out the ballstuds myself.

Loving the serpent otherwise! Love the gear-diff to! On the high traction clay at OCRC it rocks!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Between the two cars we run, I have replaced a few of them. I know a couple other guys who replace them often for developing slop, we have broken a couple. We have about 5 races on our cars. To me its not excessive to replace one or two a week, no different than replacing ball cups to me, as those develop slop too.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

I find the RPM ballcups last much longer. It's not that big of a deal, but something I'll replace in the long run.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

nope, not kidding at all. The front end C-hub's have built up some slop as well. I have about 10-12 race nights and 4-5 practice days on the car. Running on the large track at OCRC with off camber drops and turns takes a beating on the links.

Everyone else running the serpent srx2 mm at OCRC also want to change out the ballstuds/ballends as well. I've snapped a few of them where they break on the outside of the ball-end (plastic part), and I've replaced quite a few due to the ballends getting sloppy. The front steering linkages have gotten pretty sloppy as well so I've purchased the aluminum steering rack and will be installing that once I get the new ballends/ballstuds. Possibly before.

Loving the serpent otherwise! Love the gear-diff to! On the high traction clay at OCRC it rocks!
I believe on high bite tracks the stresses put on the suspension over time does stretch the softer ball ends. The older ball ends probably won't stretch but they are slightly brittle.

I don't have measurements for any other ball studs for you. If you measure another brand out, please share.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have a dozen days on the RM and nearing that on the MM and only broken 1 rear ball end and it was a pretty fantastic crash involving a wooden wall. Most of the time has been on a small indoor clay track so not any huge stresses on it. I prefer the captured link design to anything else though, so just my opinion.

I have not heard anyone running the gear diff around here yet. What weight oil in it and how do you feel it drives differently from the ball diff? My history is onroad TC and ball diffs give me fits, but everyone tells me gear diffs do not work in 2wd offroad.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Any body able to post pics of the rear roll bar fitted to the car please.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.