Search
Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Ouch... I thought they said the mm kits had the updated chassis??? Did you jot anything?
Yeah, I was bummed. A few hard hits but I didn't think it was anything that bad. I'd like to think it happened towards the end of the race day but no idea. Would have tore the top plate on the next race day though.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shagino
Yeah, I was bummed. A few hard hits but I didn't think it was anything that bad. I'd like to think it happened towards the end of the race day but no idea. Would have tore the top plate on the next race day though.
Just a hunch going back to old zx-5 days, but do you think it's possible the lower aluminum pivot is causing the front end to become too rigid making it easier to break?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First off, let me say how amazing the ride is. I have broken exactly one part in 2 months of racing this baby in two classes every week.

To further the discussion, I broke a bulk head insert racing. My fault, apparently you lose steering when doing a wheelie into a banked sweeper, which is all well and good as long as the front comes down before the cement wall.

I was/am running the plastic insert because I began thinking the same thing as Jcopeland1. While changing the insert though I noticed the back of my a arms worn on the top. I think this is because while turning the pivot ball attached to the steering arm is rubbing the a arm somehow.

I took a picture, but this site keeps saying "upload of file failed".

Anyway, so, there is too much flex in either the front part of the chassis or the plastic bulk head insert or the plastic steering linkage?

Has anyone else noticed wear like this?

Take Care

Chris
Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I hope serpent gets the updated one completed soon. I can't find a chassis in stock anywhere.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
What kind of setup were you running. In a couple of weeks we will be running outdoors. Our track is low to medium at best. Really hoping I can get the mid car to work outside.
This is my setup from a few weeks ago:

http://dialedsetups.com/default/sheets/view/id/1196

There are a few setup notes that can be used if you find yourself wanting more steering.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Just a hunch going back to old zx-5 days, but do you think it's possible the lower aluminum pivot is causing the front end to become too rigid making it easier to break?
I dont use the aluminum bulkhead and I have yet to break a chassis and I have had my share of incidents where I thought it was broke for sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am on my 3rd chassis and the first 2 was with the plastic bulkhead now i have switched to aluminum
I have seen both breakage from plastic and alu. So it really depebds on how and which angle you hit
Other than that the buggy is awesome. I'd really love to have an alluminium chassis some day.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

lol, you guys really take this chassis breaking in strides. I might look into this car once they fix the chassis issues for good. I would not be so forgiving about a chassis break.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
lol, you guys really take this chassis breaking in strides. I might look into this car once they fix the chassis issues for good. I would not be so forgiving about a chassis break.
+ 1
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Serpent has taken care of everyone who has had an issue. They are also addressing the issue as we speak. Its really not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. I still have the original chassis and bulkhead on both of my cars and I have had a few mishaps that probably should have broke the chassis and more but it didnt. I would rechassis my car before every race if i had to because once you drive a Spyder the other buggies dont compare.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Finally! Got my snake dialed in last night, just need to get used to 2wd but overall I feel a lot more comfortable with it now. Knocked off 2 seconds from my avg lap times and even cracked some 17's. Thanks to everyone for the tips. Drag brake sure helped a ton since I don't brake as often as I should and it helped rotate better around the tight turns.

On my last run I got clipped midair and landed nose first onto a pipe and this happened:

Lol, got my fastest last times on my last run and I didn't know I had a broken chassis until I cleaned it up a bit. Serpent America is going to get me squared away and get me up and running again. Kudos to them.

Btw, Paul from Serpent America told me that a new, beefed up front section MM chassis is coming in a few weeks. More peace of mind thanks to Serpent listening to customer feedback.
Originally Posted by shagino
Add my chassis to the fallen. Unscrewed the top plate and the front end fell off. Not sure when it was broken or how long the top plate held it in place. Was definitely just one race day though.

Looks like we broke at almost the same spot.

No worries though since Serpent is sending a replacement and in a few weeks, a gen 2 chassis will be released. Growing pains for Serpent's first 1/10 offroad entry.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wonder if they need a torque spec on the bulkhead mount. Looks like a stress fracture right there. Started at the hole and worked it's way across.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

this was my theory as well. Glad you posted it, cause I was just thinking of this last night. I have yet to break anything on my rear or mid cars.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

for everyone, I ran my car outdoors today on a low bite dusty track today. The track has not been run on since november. Got there today and seen a bunch of dust in the air from guys running. Track was very dusty. So I went out with a broom to brush off the 1/4 inch of dust on the track. My car was hooked. I really could not believe it. I drove a centro last year one race when the track conditions where much better than today and it was terrible. I could push it just like a rear motor car.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

daniel, do you have a part number for the pistons on that setup sheet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.