Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
I added 24 grams where the balast weight is meant to be installed. I was running a shorty pack all the way back. This was on extreme high bite conditions. I will definitely run the Serpent balast weight on medium bite conditions.
You're running stock right?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
You're running stock right?
Thats is correct. Im building a Mid motor for mod later this week. I know a few guys running the shorty with balast in mod and doing great.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Thats is correct. Im building a Mid motor for mod later this week. I know a few guys running the shorty with balast in mod and doing great.
Thanks, was just checking if you thought the ballast in stock was still a must have for med bite.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
Thanks, was just checking if you thought the ballast in stock was still a must have for med bite.
I havent tried it without weight yet but I think its gonna be necessary especially when its not an ideal surface for mid motor. Even with 24 grams my buggy was plenty fast for stock racing.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

I'm finally going to the track tomorrow for the Spyder's maiden run after dealing with issues with my diff/idler gear,etc. It looks like the stripped idler gear was the main problem and my motor seems fine. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll be using Truhe's Reedy setup with the long rear camber links. The only difference being the use of a shorty pack, TLR LF silver fr/ pink rr springs, and AKA clay Typos. Has anyone tried his setup? Pros and cons of his setup? What changes did you make?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
So we had a bit of a learning experience this weekend. Our home track hosted the ChiTown Shootout which drew nearly 300 entries. The track is normally high to medium-high bite, but extreme low temps and the massive amount of cars running on it made the track go to medium-low grip with dust. We struggled with cornering consistency and I had thought the rear end was rolling too much, so we tried wider hinge pins, increased anti squat, higher roll centers, and firmer springs. What we finally figured out, thanks to a collective effort of 5-6 other guys running the car also, was that we needed the rear end to roll more, but also do it more slowly. We lowered the pins to 0 down/0 down with narrow spacing and added 2mm (from 0mm) under the inner rear ballstud. The car cornered much smoother through the middle and transitioned nicely back to level under acceleration. The range of adjustments available on these buggies is just awesome, and now we have more notes to draw from in the future.
Good info! I had the same issues with, what I thought, was too much rear roll. I like the idea of more roll, but slower. Will definitely try 0 down/0 down, narrow pivot this weekend!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Johny5, what pistons/oils/springs have you settled on so far? My track is a bit washboard bumpy is sections and there's one bigger jump that we have to flat-land. The car feels pretty good overall, but it gets 'nervous' and slightly unsettled in the rougher sections. Currently running 1.6x2 tapered pistons/300 cst/red springs in rear, one hole out from inside on tower, inner hole on the arm. 1.5x2 tapered pistons/350cst/pink springs on front, one hole out on tower, inner hole on arm.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post
I'm finally going to the track tomorrow for the Spyder's maiden run after dealing with issues with my diff/idler gear,etc. It looks like the stripped idler gear was the main problem and my motor seems fine. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll be using Truhe's Reedy setup with the long rear camber links. The only difference being the use of a shorty pack, TLR LF silver fr/ pink rr springs, and AKA clay Typos. Has anyone tried his setup? Pros and cons of his setup? What changes did you make?
If you're going to LRH tomorrow I'll be there. Matt Schreffler might go and so will another guy with a serpent. I started off with Truhe's setup but I've changed a lot since then but I haven't tried a shorty.

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Good info! I had the same issues with, what I thought, was too much rear roll. I like the idea of more roll, but slower. Will definitely try 0 down/0 down, narrow pivot this weekend!
0 0 down is going to give you a ton of roll especially with a narrow pivot.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Narrow pivot definitely gives too much roll on the mm for me(maybe because of the position it puts the shock in).More roll=less cornering grip.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post

Good luck sir
Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone else noticed the edge of the front wheels getting chewed up from rubbing the top hex on the turnbuckle ballstud? I think it's just that we run in very high bite carpet and the wheels are being forced into the hex. It's just an odd issue to have. I thought of just widening the front axles to give more room and also the rear to match.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Regarding rear pivots. Friday night I played with 5 different locations on the rear pivot and hex widths. For my lap times 0-Down/0-Down and Wide + Wide rear hex was fastest for me on those conditions and track layout. Maybe a slightly stiffer rear spring or sway bar I would have gotten the narrow pivot to work. There really isn't any right or wrong answer other making sure your top 5 or top 10 average lap time is faster. If your change is the same speed then go with what feels better.

My suggestion is go to the track and play with it and begin to understand it, as it's a fairly big adjustment. A team member on the same track preferred 2-down/2-down and narrow but he didn't do the testing I did the night before and he was using a different spring and dampening package.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Johny5, what pistons/oils/springs have you settled on so far? My track is a bit washboard bumpy is sections and there's one bigger jump that we have to flat-land. The car feels pretty good overall, but it gets 'nervous' and slightly unsettled in the rougher sections. Currently running 1.6x2 tapered pistons/300 cst/red springs in rear, one hole out from inside on tower, inner hole on the arm. 1.5x2 tapered pistons/350cst/pink springs on front, one hole out on tower, inner hole on arm.
Same rear pistons with Losi 27.5, pink rear spring. Fronts are 1.3x4 with Losi 32.5, red spring. Never got a chance to try 3 hole rears, but will on Wednesday.

I run 17.5 class, but Cush also liked the narrow pivot setting. I ran wide with 2 down/2 down in my last qualifier and the buggy would step out strangely in the middle of the corner, but admittedly my control with a buggy is not yet on the level on that with my SC. We may have achieved similar results with more ballstud washers and a middle pivot setting. I've decided to park my SC until the Serpent is out to really focus on the buggy.

Sorwell's buggy looked great in his main this past weekend, easily the best performing Spyder at the race. Cush was the next highest finishing serpent car, and would have bumped to the A with Joe were it not for a lapper taking him out on the last lap.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsorwell View Post
Narrow pivot definitely gives too much roll on the mm for me(maybe because of the position it puts the shock in).More roll=less cornering grip.
Do you have a MM setup out there somewhere? Your RM setup was great for our track surface.

Just finished the build on mine. Went pretty much kit, except aluminum front block, 2 washers over the front hubs, front 1.6 tapered pistons, 27.5 ASC oil, red springs, rear 1.6 tapered pistons, 25 ASC oil, blue springs. Might get it out this weekend, between there an an outdoor series race to run the ebuggy.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is there a part number for the 1.6 conical pistons? I see references to these, but am not finding a specific part listing.

Thanks,
Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.