Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
Kit went together very well. Can't wait to hit the track with it tomorrow night.

Looks great.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to fit one of the JC chassis protectors for other cars on this buggy yet? Just curious which one can be used with some trimmming.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
I'd suggest getting a red front spring, and red and blue rears. Losi and AE springs will fit also if needed, but check the free length. If I remember correctly, some of the Losi rear springs are shorter than Serpent springs.

The stock setup is generally a really good starting point, Billy spent a lot of time to make sure the setup was close out of the box. One of the many fine aspects to the Serpent cars.
Are these springs for lower grip tracks, sorry for the vague question but I haven't read to much on this car as yet, I have the rear motor serpent but mid motor cars seem to work well on our low grip indoor track cause they carry more corner speed, I'll grab these springs if there for low grip?

Justin
Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The springs jonny listed have been working well for the car on our med bite clay track. Even when it get dusty. They are worth having
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Are you using softer springs with the shorty then with the saddles?
The testing has been with saddles so far. My try shorties soon to see what a difference it is
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jpm1 View Post
Are these springs for lower grip tracks, sorry for the vague question but I haven't read to much on this car as yet, I have the rear motor serpent but mid motor cars seem to work well on our low grip indoor track cause they carry more corner speed, I'll grab these springs if there for low grip?

Justin
The big difference I noticed with them was how much they smooth out the buggy. Not a big deal if your on a really smooth surface but if you race on a little rougher track they work really well. The car doesn't get upset as easily,kind of feels like it floats across the track. They do increase traction as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JasonR/C View Post
The testing has been with saddles so far. My try shorties soon to see what a difference it is
Im gonna do some testing with the shorty this weekend so i will be sure to post up my results.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Doing testing tonight as well. I have a few options in mind for batteries. My Speedzone 4600 pack is 7.3oz and my saddles and 9.1oz. A little under 2.5 ounces. So I plan to try shorty slammed all the way back with 2.5oz taped to the back wall of the battery box. So I plan to try saddles, shorty, shorty at saddle weight
Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to fit one of the JC chassis protectors for other cars on this buggy yet? Just curious which one can be used with some trimmming.
Mike Lynch at LG1 designs made some chassis protectors for me. He has a template already for the rear motor chassis, and a template for the mid motor chassis and skidplate. The ones he makes for me are carbon with the serpent logo in the middle.

I dont have any pictures of mine at the moment, but they are super high quality and will last for a very long time. They are not thin like most chassis protectors.. but because of this they are a little higher in price.

He's located in arizona and he really doesn't do RC stuff for a living, mostly MX and jet ski stuff but because he already does stuff for his friends im sure he would be willing to sell these. His contact info is below, you wont find anything regarding RC on his website but you can see his work in other fields.

http://lg1designs.com/contact.htm
[email protected]
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just an FYI for those who run Savox 1257's. To achieve equal LF and RT EPA go with a 3.5mm gap on the steering link. With your radio trimmed out to 0 offset install the servo horn 1 click to the right of center (If your sitting in front of the car). With an Airtronics radio im getting 126 and 126 at full lock. Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the input.

Two questions:
What shims did you use on the servo?
Were you using the aluminum servo mounts?

I realize others have stated their shim use with a Savox 1257, but I would like to confirm which shims you used.

Also, general question to all: has anyone been able to successfully fit a Savox 1252 Low Profile servo in either the MM or RM buggy? The stock servo mounts seem to be too thick, front to rear, when combined with what am guessing is the proper shims (needs more than a 1257 as the spline is not offset nearly as much on the 1252). And, if you had luck, did you alter the mount or use the aluminum mount?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

I was able to run my MM Spyder. Used the box stock set up with a shorty pack all the way back on medium bite clay. No other changes. I have to say the car is very good and no breakage. Having not run 2wd buggy in a long long time, I was very happy to qual 4th in the A and finish 4th. This on a unfamiliar track running against a bunch of quick buggy racers. Racing tomorrow on our home track and plan to test a saddle pack at some point. Fun buggy.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff whiting View Post
I was able to run my MM Spyder. Used the box stock set up with a shorty pack all the way back on medium bite clay. No other changes. I have to say the car is very good and no breakage. Having not run 2wd buggy in a long long time, I was very happy to qual 4th in the A and finish 4th. This on a unfamiliar track running against a bunch of quick buggy racers. Racing tomorrow on our home track and plan to test a saddle pack at some point. Fun buggy.

Jeff
It's a pretty amazing buggy. It reacts to changes very well so you can really dial it in. Its a real pleasure to drive such an awesome buggy and be a part of such a great team.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Ya I agree. The most impressive thing for me is how much each change actually shows. Even the smallest change is noticeable. Very happy with serpent thusfar. Now they just need a 4wd 1/10 buggy lol
Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Shake down of the car went very well last night. Started box stock setup and only changed two things through out the night and made huge improvements. All i changed was went to a red rear spring and added 2.5oz of weight in the back of the battery box to bring the shorty up to saddle pack weight but have it placed further back. These changes allowed me to drive the car harder out of corners and it just stuck. Cant explain how well this car feels other then its very Fluid without being lazy. It does what you tell it and soaks up your mistakes and goes forward.

Very happy with how the car preformed.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrooks39 View Post
Thank you for the input.

Two questions:
What shims did you use on the servo?
Were you using the aluminum servo mounts?

I realize others have stated their shim use with a Savox 1257, but I would like to confirm which shims you used.

Also, general question to all: has anyone been able to successfully fit a Savox 1252 Low Profile servo in either the MM or RM buggy? The stock servo mounts seem to be too thick, front to rear, when combined with what am guessing is the proper shims (needs more than a 1257 as the spline is not offset nearly as much on the 1252). And, if you had luck, did you alter the mount or use the aluminum mount?

Thanks,
Joe
The 1252 will fit but you need to modify the mount on the side of the servo where the wires come out. I just used a small dremel sander - you need to remove a good amount of material. I ran it, but took it out because it was to slow for me and seemed like it didn't have the same amount of through as my futaba. The Serpents seem to use the entire range of through of servos and a slower servo is more noticeable. Also - the full size servo has more weight, which I think helps the car.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.