Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Does this car use the same wheel offset as the b4.2?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgod
No it dose not, you can use the b4.2 wheels but you either need to put a spacer that fits around the axle that moves the wheel up far enough so it dose not bind aginst the steering block. You can also sand down the hex on the wheel 2mm. I believe the offset still isnt right though. Its easier just using the serpent ones or the older aka ones.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. Everyone really seems to like this car. Last buggy I had was a b4.2 and mid motor seems to be all the rage. I race mostly on high bite indoor clay so I'm going to go ahead and order one of these today.

Any parts I should get as spares other than arms? Haven't read about any breakage issues but haven't read the whole thread yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info. Everyone really seems to like this car. Last buggy I had was a b4.2 and mid motor seems to be all the rage. I race mostly on high bite indoor clay so I'm going to go ahead and order one of these today.
It really is a good car, It works everywhere and excells in the higher bite tracks as well, the support on here is great as well! Hope you enjoy the build if you have any questions shoot away.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

A friend I race with got some wheels from VP Pro for his Kyosho RB6. I checked them vs the Serpent wheels. The fronts are RB6 specific, and with the thin hex, they fit without issue on the Serpent. They are 1mm offset though, which would lead to a 2mm narrower car in the front and the handling that comes with. The rears are RB6/B4.2, and fit as well without modification, but are .3mm offset, also leading to a narrower overall width.

The issue is less if you can run many of the wheels, but if you do, understand the offset changes, and how it will affect your handling. Changing tire/compound while also changing offset will not always give you apples to apples. I have chosen to stick to Serpent wheels due to this.

Any parts I should get as spares other than arms? Haven't read about any breakage issues but haven't read the whole thread yet.
Breakage has been minimal. I have broken one of the old style topdecks on my RM, and 1 ball end. A friend broke a ball end installing them on the ball itself, so those are not a bad idea. I'd also pick up the carbide diff balls. For my new MM build, I also added in the aluminum front hinge pin mount (for the durability and adjustability). Car has been strong though, and the 2 MM's that have made it out have not broken anything yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by orcadigital
A friend I race with got some wheels from VP Pro for his Kyosho RB6. I checked them vs the Serpent wheels. The fronts are RB6 specific, and with the thin hex, they fit without issue on the Serpent. They are 1mm offset though, which would lead to a 2mm narrower car in the front and the handling that comes with. The rears are RB6/B4.2, and fit as well without modification, but are .3mm offset, also leading to a narrower overall width.

The issue is less if you can run many of the wheels, but if you do, understand the offset changes, and how it will affect your handling. Changing tire/compound while also changing offset will not always give you apples to apples. I have chosen to stick to Serpent wheels due to this.

Breakage has been minimal. I have broken one of the old style topdecks on my RM, and 1 ball end. A friend broke a ball end installing them on the ball itself, so those are not a bad idea. I'd also pick up the carbide diff balls. For my new MM build, I also added in the aluminum front hinge pin mount (for the durability and adjustability). Car has been strong though, and the 2 MM's that have made it out have not broken anything yet.
Thanks for the info. I'll order those parts with my kit. How is the stock setup? Will I need any option springs? I have ae and losi big bore springs. Will they fit?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. I'll order those parts with my kit. How is the stock setup? Will I need any option springs? I have ae and losi big bore springs. Will they fit?
I'd suggest getting a red front spring, and red and blue rears. Losi and AE springs will fit also if needed, but check the free length. If I remember correctly, some of the Losi rear springs are shorter than Serpent springs.

The stock setup is generally a really good starting point, Billy spent a lot of time to make sure the setup was close out of the box. One of the many fine aspects to the Serpent cars.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital

That's odd....I've measured the backspacing on my AKA wheels (both the Hexlite and Evo versions) and a set of Serpent wheels, and the offset difference for the front I got was about .5 mm (which would be about 1mm narrower overall front width with the AKA wheels) and the difference for the rears was well under the .3mm difference you measured (I got more like .03 mm - pretty much neglible effect if you measured the overall width with tires mounted). Maybe the VP Pro wheels are different? The AKA wheels are AE/KYO fitments for the front and AE/KYO/LOS for the rear which is typical across PL and JC wheels as well.

That being said, running non-Serpent fronts will get you a little narrower front end (about 1mm according to my measurments of AKA wheels vs Serpent wheels) which can effect handling slightly. Most people probably wouldn't even feel the difference. The rears aren't different enough that anyone would probably notice. And being that alot of guys on here are running non-serpent wheels following the setups given shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This serpent is arguably the best straight out of the box car and it's very durable. Like he said on springs the serpent rears are longer than ae or losi. The max ride height I was able to get out of ae springs was 23mm in the rear. If you want to run AE springs try white/white. For losi try orange/white (LF springs).
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info guys. Just ordered the car, diff balls, alum front block, ball cups, and f/r arms. Also got red front springs and red and blue rears. Can't wait to start building it.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hopsing
That's odd....I've measured the backspacing on my AKA wheels (both the Hexlite and Evo versions) and a set of Serpent wheels, and the offset difference for the front I got was about .5 mm (which would be about 1mm narrower overall front width with the AKA wheels) and the difference for the rears was well under the .3mm difference you measured (I got more like .03 mm - pretty much neglible effect if you measured the overall width with tires mounted). Maybe the VP Pro wheels are different? The AKA wheels are AE/KYO fitments for the front and AE/KYO/LOS for the rear which is typical across PL and JC wheels as well.

That being said, running non-Serpent fronts will get you a little narrower front end (about 1mm according to my measurments of AKA wheels vs Serpent wheels) which can effect handling slightly. Most people probably wouldn't even feel the difference. The rears aren't different enough that anyone would probably notice. And being that alot of guys on here are running non-serpent wheels following the setups given shouldn't be an issue.
Very possible. I do not have any AKA wheels, but I had my friends VP wheels straight out of the box and Serpent unmounted and ready and wanted to check. I know I put on the -.75mm rear hexes on the back from Sorwell's setup, and flipped back to the stock just to see, and I could tell the difference. One of the benefits of the car, it responds very well to setup changes. I think as long as you are consistent, that is all that matters.

Thanks for the info guys. Just ordered the car, diff balls, alum front block, ball cups, and f/r arms. Also got red front springs and red and blue rears. Can't wait to start building it.
You should be set. I got orange and red fronts, red and blue rears for the RM. I will see what else I need as the MM build goes, but the 2 I have driven stock have been very drivable.

Welcome to the Serpent fun!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Just an FYI for those who run Savox 1257's. To achieve equal LF and RT EPA go with a 3.5mm gap on the steering link. With your radio trimmed out to 0 offset install the servo horn 1 click to the right of center (If your sitting in front of the car). With an Airtronics radio im getting 126 and 126 at full lock. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Was messing around with serpent springs and losi springs tonight. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. On a high bite clay track with minimal dust the serpent pink front and rear combo works well with a setup close to cush on petitrc. Got a chance to try the losi springs tonight ran LF orange front and white rear. Both spring combos work really well. Id suggest giving these a try if your track has similar conditions.
Durability so far is 100% only part broken was a caster block but I wasnt driving
Dont forget to grab some carbide diff balls or a b fast diff kit if you havent yet. You won't be disappointed
Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Are you using softer springs with the shorty then with the saddles?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Kit went together very well. Can't wait to hit the track with it tomorrow night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.