Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpm1 View Post
Ok thanks, is there a gun setup for slick indoor clay or just start with the box setup?

Justin
Come talk to me
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post
Just checked ABC wiring and everything matches. I replaced sensor cable and still the same results. It's weird because reverse works perfectly fine, but going forward it will make a ratcheting/screeching sound or not move when placed on the floor like on the video. With no load/wheels in the air, it spins.

Because of all the troubleshooting trying to sort out my diff, my diff is a little gritty and I also glazed my slipper pads. What a day, never had this many headaches with brand new parts.
So? Did you find what the issue was?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well after stripping an idler gear in my Serpent last Wednesday I had to resort back to my 22 2.0. It was very depressing. I went from easily being top 5 in mod buggy with my serpent to missing the bump in the B main with my 22 2.0 on Friday. Somehow I managed to pull off a win Saturday with some smart driving and low grip conditions (switched to RM). Can't wait to run the Serpent again this weekend and make the AE drivers cry.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Did you put all the inserts in correctly for the gear box?
Originally Posted by sobiski racer View Post
Does the car move? Sounds like the idle gear something inside gear box or spur
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
So? Did you find what the issue was?

Sorry for the lack of updates, real life(work) took over for now, but i did manage to find one cause of my problems: One half stripped idler gear due to forgetting to install an insert on one side of the gearbox. brain fart number 2. I wonder if my motor is still bad due to that weird high pitched sound under load and a perfectly fine reverse. Unfortunately, my spare parts are in bound and arriving Friday so I'm stuck waiting to drive this buggy for the first time. Plus my ball diff is gritty now and waiting for more B Fast carbide balls with Avid carbide thrust bearing(instead of the ceramic Casper thrusts) for a slightly easier and more forgiving tuning window.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

One half stripped idler gear due to forgetting to install an insert on one side of the gearbox. brain fart number 2.
Ouch!

I wonder if my motor is still bad due to that weird high pitched sound under load and a perfectly fine reverse.
Take the pinion off and try it.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie View Post
Well after stripping an idler gear in my Serpent last Wednesday I had to resort back to my 22 2.0. It was very depressing. I went from easily being top 5 in mod buggy with my serpent to missing the bump in the B main with my 22 2.0 on Friday. Somehow I managed to pull off a win Saturday with some smart driving and low grip conditions (switched to RM). Can't wait to run the Serpent again this weekend and make the AE drivers cry.
I've been told, but haven't tried, that the 22 idler gear will fit the Spyder.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Sorry for the lack of updates, real life(work) took over for now, but i did manage to find one cause of my problems: One half stripped idler gear due to forgetting to install an insert on one side of the gearbox. brain fart number 2. I wonder if my motor is still bad due to that weird high pitched sound under load and a perfectly fine reverse. Unfortunately, my spare parts are in bound and arriving Friday so I'm stuck waiting to drive this buggy for the first time. Plus my ball diff is gritty now and waiting for more B Fast carbide balls with Avid carbide thrust bearing(instead of the ceramic Casper thrusts) for a slightly easier and more forgiving tuning window.
It's simple why it worked in reverse. In forward the top shaft pushes on the idler and it goes away and strips. On reverse the idle gear gets pulled into the the top shaft and it appears to work.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rider313 View Post
It's simple why it worked in reverse. In forward the top shaft pushes on the idler and it goes away and strips. On reverse the idle gear gets pulled into the the top shaft and it appears to work.
I had the same thoughts on that Dan..
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

anyone try any other bodies on this thing other then the stock one?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have some leaky shocks, i know serpent updated theres and i know xrings will fit also,anyone try the 22 or ae seals? i have some on order but in case we get in a bind and was curious if the others will work as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxracer71 View Post
i have some leaky shocks, i know serpent updated theres and i know xrings will fit also,anyone try the 22 or ae seals? i have some on order but in case we get in a bind and was curious if the others will work as well.
Someone on here recommended putting a shim (I used a .5mm) in between the o-ring and the spacer because mine weren't leaking per se, but definately weeping. I would consider leaking as having to add oil during a race day, and mine would not require that, but would collect dirt around the bottom collar. I added in the shim and they are rock solid no drip shocks.

One other note I have is I was having a problem with my top nut coming loose on the shock shaft, and I was using lock tight, which probably also contributed to my weeping shocks. I sanded down the washer that goes under the piston, which added enough thread to resolve the problem.

Chris
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One other note I have is I was having a problem with my top nut coming loose on the shock shaft, and I was using lock tight, which probably also contributed to my weeping shocks. I sanded down the washer that goes under the piston, which added enough thread to resolve the problem.
Usually when tightening the nut on the top of the piston i will get the nut finger tight and build the shock the rest of the way. Then right before adding oil i grab my nut driver and tighten as much as i can while holding the plastic shock bottom. haven't needed to use locktite and have had zero issues.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
anyone try any other bodies on this thing other then the stock one?
Any reason why? Billy's body designs are copied by everyone anyway. Your only going to end up with a copy of something excellent!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have my kit, middle of a move though and don't have my R/C space setup yet at the new house.

Driving me crazy! the only thing worse than waiting for a new kit to arrive, is staring at it unable to build it lol!

Maybe by next weekend i will have it done, and hopefully i can find some Clay typos by then as well! Been backordered for a month lol.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Any reason why? Billy's body designs are copied by everyone anyway. Your only going to end up with a copy of something excellent!
That is truth. Billy should send a few people a bill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.