Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Plastic quality is great! Still some parts issues. Diff spring still doesn't fit. Trans cases aren't true. Rear Hinge pins different lengths. Company VERY slow responding to e-mails and they don't answers the phones.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stevenich View Post
Plastic quality is great! Still some parts issues. Diff spring still doesn't fit. Trans cases aren't true. Rear Hinge pins different lengths. Company VERY slow responding to e-mails and they don't answers the phones.
Yeah, love the quaity of these kits plastics for sure. I own both rm and mm. I had to take the dremel to my diff spring too so it would fit. Doesnt take alot, just knocking down the burrs. My tranny cases where spot on though. No binding at all. Only problem I have had was the plastic shock bottoms, craptastic diff/thrust balls and diff nut rounding in housing which I bought spares for.

Cant wait to drive my MM this weekend though. The RM car is fantastic and guessing the MM will be better.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Trans cases are going to be updated. Serpent is aware of the issue.

Try phoning them again tomorrow, if you can't get ahold of them shoot me a PM.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The trans cases work fine. They do have a slight bend to them when not screwed together but the internals spin free once everything is bolted together.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Are you calling Serpent America- Desoto? Always seem to answer the phone and emails. Strange.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the updates and suggestions guys.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

My kit has arrived at work from Serpent, so I will be there to pick it up, I am an English teacher here in Turkey and I run the only RC school in Turkey for some students.

We are on holiday and I am running a practice day for them today, so great timing for me to build the car as I have another week off

I am now going to be looking at setup changes that you guys have done, then I will do my usual build pages on my website TomHow.com

Serpent are at the Nuremberg toy fair so no replies from emails would be normal right now.

I will be sending them a list of any manual errors and kit problems I find, so any issues you find send me a list and I will get it to them in one document.

If you want to see my RC Skool stuff please pay us a visit on RCSkool.com
Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
"A little space in there" isn't bad. I actually sanded down the spacer a little for more room. No leaks.
A mm-ish of space is way too much IMO. My 8th scale cars have no wiggle room. In fact none of my cars ever had space between the last oring/spacer and the shock bottom cap. Doesn't make any logical sense for extra space to help stop leaks... As long as the whole bottom assembly doesn't cause binding you want as little space in-between the parts as possible, IMO.

In fact, my shocks did leak with the KYOSHO orings. I always build my shocks the same way (with green slime). The new updated orings are the proper size and don't leak on my car...

I do find it odd that most people's shocks didn't leak with the kyo orings, while mine did.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Could also be because you're using the green slime. That prevents the seals from swelling (obviously) and will make it easier for the shocks to leak. I just replace my o-rings more often and skip the green slime.

Last edited by DanielC.; 01-29-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

I noticed the space too with the Xrings but my shocks didnt leak so i left it alone. Now im using the updated orings and so far so good.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm surprised to hear that about the diff spring, mine slid right in. I'm sure once you contact DeSoto about your issues they'll get you straightened out. I've heard nothing but positives regarding their customer service.

The trans case, or at least mine, had some bind in it when I first put the halves together, but tightening it up (considerably tighter than any other case I've built), made it spin free and true.

The new shock o rings are much improved too. Used a bit of Muchmore shock slime and they are butter with no leaks yet.

I brought the car, its actually Cush's car as mine isn't built yet, to the track today to let a few friends try it out. One has a 22 2.0, the other has a Centro and an RB6 (though he's retired the Centro for the RB6). The 22 driver actually looked mad after driving it, saying that the car was like cheating compared to his. The other guy said he wished either of his cars were anywhere close to the feel and performance of the Serpent. Both are A main regulars locally, and one of them made the cut to race at Worlds this past year.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have only put the front end together but man the plastics are amazing on this car. They're rigid but soft enough to thread through without stripping. With my 22 2.0 I have to use a power tool because it's so ridiculously hard.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that about the diff spring, mine slid right in. I'm sure once you contact DeSoto about your issues they'll get you straightened out. I've heard nothing but positives regarding their customer service.

The trans case, or at least mine, had some bind in it when I first put the halves together, but tightening it up (considerably tighter than any other case I've built), made it spin free and true.

The new shock o rings are much improved too. Used a bit of Muchmore shock slime and they are butter with no leaks yet.

I brought the car, its actually Cush's car as mine isn't built yet, to the track today to let a few friends try it out. One has a 22 2.0, the other has a Centro and an RB6 (though he's retired the Centro for the RB6). The 22 driver actually looked mad after driving it, saying that the car was like cheating compared to his. The other guy said he wished either of his cars were anywhere close to the feel and performance of the Serpent. Both are A main regulars locally, and one of them made the cut to race at Worlds this past year.
<---- The 22 2.0 guy. couldnt believe how awesome this car was compared to mine. my signature may change soon lol
Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Jonny what setup are you running on Cush's mid motor? box stock or a variation of his rear motor?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wired my car up last night. I still have to finish the body and shocks tonight. I may redo the motor wires and run them over the battery as this method throws the balance of the chassis more than I thought it would initially. I'm impressed how closely the motor sets to the rear axles on this car. I believe that will really help with the traction get's low. I also like how you can drop the rear t-plate plate out of the car and make squat, toe and rollcenter adjustments easily.

Jonny5, do you still have the same setup on Cush's car you gave a few pages back? If not update the changes you've done. Is leisure been running their track really high bite lately or more medium-high with it drying a bit throughout the day?

RCMayor & DanielC, which track have you been running at and what tires do you normally use? I want to look for some videos and compare to what I typically run on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.