http://www.petitrc.com/setup/serpent...CRC2014012426/

mike's reedy race setup already....
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/serpent...CRC2014012426/

mike's reedy race setup already....
That is what he started with, a few updates coming this week.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can download a copy of the manual? The link on the Serpent site is broken
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
That is what he started with, a few updates coming this week.
yep thats what we were sent for a beginning. Interested to see what the changes are.

just as a follow up with Josh's statement about our motors being lighter

mine weighed 1570 w/ the saddle pack and no additional ballast

difference between the saddles and a shorty is 70g on average. (210 for the shorty vs. 280 for the saddles, the reedy brick pack is listed at around 310)

so with the shorty and the brass weight Josh's is still lighter than mine by a substantial amount

Last edited by Crawlin; 01-26-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't have my MM buggy yet, but I'll throw out there that you shouldn't be afraid to try 4 deg rear toe in. I've been running that on my RM buggy on low to med. grip tracks and it works great. I just change the toe in at the rear hubs, so I use the +0.5 and +1.0 inserts.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ya, Dave tried 2.5 rear toe on the RM last weekend. Put that on the list of things to never do again to try to gain steering. lol

Dave tried the Mid Motor car this weekend. Started off with the Truhe setup. It was pretty lazy and unbalanced on a mid sized high bite track. The car was dragging its ass and it didn't go through the bumps very well.

He ended up 6th after bumping in to the main from the BQ at this weekends Venom race in the KC area. I am going to take some measurements from the setup and will send it to Chicky.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Saw this Buggy in action today, Cush and Johnny5's looked great! Great job guys.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cool feedback.

Excited to see what changes were made on Dave's end too. Always cool to see the overall direction people head even though its at different tracks.

Stiffer dampening(oil), higher rear roll center, and back to the 25* caster and I really liked how the car went. I'm also at 1.5 anti squat
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well, if Billy hit a home run with the RM car, he hit a grand slam with this MM car. Cush is 2 for 2 with it at Leisure Hours. It does everything better and faster than his RM car, except for some "finger" jumps which kick the back end up if he hits them hard. I am amazed at how quickly he got comfortable with it and stepped up his pace from the RM car- which was already wicked fast.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
Cool feedback.

Excited to see what changes were made on Dave's end too. Always cool to see the overall direction people head even though its at different tracks.

Stiffer dampening(oil), higher rear roll center, and back to the 25* caster and I really liked how the car went. I'm also at 1.5 anti squat

Ya that's the general direction we went. We debated on the caster and compromised on 27.5 lol Really didn't have time to try a lot and didn't want to mess up what was already pretty good. After the race we talked about increasing anti squat a little.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Car definitely jumps a little flat with the truhe setup. Some more anti squat would help. Agreed on the caster as well, 25 felt better overall.

Jonny5, can you post up a sheet or just type out what setup you guys are at for your track?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DanielC. View Post
Car definitely jumps a little flat with the truhe setup. Some more anti squat would help. Agreed on the caster as well, 25 felt better overall.

Jonny5, can you post up a sheet or just type out what setup you guys are at for your track?
It jumped fine, but rolled too much in the rear. Cool thing was you could look at the settings and instantly see why it was doing what it was doing. Easy fix. Shorter rear link, lower inner ball stud. Fixed. And stiffer springs in rear (blue) to balance the car out. Not being critical of the Truhe setup. Its a new car and everyone is taking a swing the first weekend out. Totally different track also, maybe he was having rear grip issues. One thing I would like to see on setup sheets is a notes section on each setting. If a setting is changed from a kit standard, jot down why the change was made. Or what the car was doing and this fixed or helped it.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DanielC. View Post

Cush's setup:

TrakPower MS-1 w/ TrakPower 8.5
TrakPower 5400 saddles with terminals to the rear (heavy end of pack)
BLS451 servo (full size)

Front:
2x1.5mm machined pistons, 25wt AE, Pink spring, kit shock positions
Kit camber link positions, 1mm under inner ballstud
25 caster
Steering blocks spaced down in C hub (taken from Truhe setup, and a change he liked on the RM also)
1.5 camber
23.5mm ride height

Rear:

2x1.6mm machined pistons, 25wt AE, Blue spring, kit shock positions
Kit camber link positions, 0mm under inner ballstud
1 anti squat (2 down, 2 down), 3 rear toe
Hubs spaced forward
24mm ride height

Kit wing angle, no weight added. Ran SS Typos rear and SS 3 rib fronts w/ 3/4 rear open cell

The changes we made today were the rear spring, machined pistons, and changing the ballstud washers from kit settings. We started with a slight cross between kit and Truhe's setup.

Like RCMayor said, the back end rolls a lot on kit springs and really locks it in. Cush was looking for more steering in the middle of the corner; changing the springs and removing the ballstud washers let it rotate more naturally, but also gained exit traction. Its pretty surprising how well it puts down power.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

This is good to hear about gaining some exit traction. Interesting fact about the saddle packs being heavier on one side. Will have to check mine to compare.

Also going to try the wide rear pivot (arrow out front and rear) and see how that changes the roll stiffness of the car.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Rcmayor got my car really good. I am very happy with it. It is very very easy to drive. And easy to drive hard. We had to dial some carving steering in over the point ans shoot steering. I was able to rip a wheelie with this car on the straight from a stop but man it carries so much corner speed and very stabile. Rcmayor will post up the final setup. After the main I really couldbt think of anyway the car could be better, it was balanced and fast. I just need to get more time under my belt with the mid motor. You can dive into turns so much harder.

Thanks to Paul for the starting setup and support. This car is the real deal and worth the wait.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.