Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MICmamba28 View Post
Wouldn't a staring point be "kit" settings???? Tune from there. I am not saying anyone is stoping me! Lol my cars are exactly how I want them. What I am gathering from the other post is people are looking for that "hot" setup! There is no hot setup! For
Instance Billy's setup might be to edgy for some and not aggressive (edgy) enough for others. Just saying the one thing that helped me get faster was to
Stop listening to other people and read up on car dynamics. For instance one great source of info on car dynamics is " Tune to Win" By Carroll Smith.
I agree with what you are saying but now there are at least 3 good starting points.

For both this forum and the FB page, it's always been mentioned that you should pick a starting point and tune from there. No one's ever said that any setup is perfect.

I'm running Billy's Spektrum setup and it works for me. I only make it out on race days now and spending the time to dial in a setup isn't in the cards right now. I know that'll only get me so far but I can live with that. More power to everyone else who puts in the time & effort.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Just got the car

There are no details in the manual as to what the up right inserts do and what the the numbers represent. Any help? Also, what is the stock rear toe in the car assuming you have a zero insert in the hub carrier. I actually got this car used and rebuilt it. The original owner, while taking great care of the car had no idea about setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just ordered the up right insert kit and rear toe pack so I'm definitely needing to know what it all means. The car as it sits looks like about 2 degrees in the rear (too low for my driving style). Thanks Ted

Also, should the servo horn be installed perfectly vertical or do they want you to off set it in either direction?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TedBarrie View Post
There are no details in the manual as to what the up right inserts do and what the the numbers represent. Any help? Also, what is the stock rear toe in the car assuming you have a zero insert in the hub carrier. I actually got this car used and rebuilt it. The original owner, while taking great care of the car had no idea about setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just ordered the up right insert kit and rear toe pack so I'm definitely needing to know what it all means. The car as it sits looks like about 2 degrees in the rear (too low for my driving style). Thanks Ted

Also, should the servo horn be installed perfectly vertical or do they want you to off set it in either direction?
3 is the normal toe in provided that you have the 0 hub inserts and you are not running Narrow/Wide or Wide/Narrow for the hinge pin inserts.

Set the servo horn to be about 11:30 when looking at it from the rear. You want it so it doesn't hit the chassis post on the right side.

For the inserts:
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5868

Serpent FAQ:
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/serpent...srx2/SRX2_FAQ/
Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a tip:
You can change dog bone pins to new ones like in Xray cars.
I used mugen driveshaft pin change tool and mugen pins MUGC0265. After installation I shortened those pins to same length as std ones.
Works good and cheaper way than replacing dog bones..
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Peakki View Post
Here's a tip:
You can change dog bone pins to new ones like in Xray cars.
I used mugen driveshaft pin change tool and mugen pins MUGC0265. After installation I shortened those pins to same length as std ones.
Works good and cheaper way than replacing dog bones..
I just watched a YouTube video on it. That's pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
im building my shock for the spektrum setup and the shock length is 103. is it right that almost half of the treads are showing on the shock shaft?
I blindly did it and noticed that too. I haven't had any issues though. I asked on the FB page to see if it was a mistake and it sounds like it's right. You could remove one of the 1.25mm washers and screw in the eyelet more to compensate.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I got the kit this morning, starting the build tomorrow. I've read thru the entire thread. Would I be better off starting with Billy's Specktrum setup right out of the gate, or go with the kit setup minus oils?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yes. or Fast Stock Setup.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I got the kit this morning, starting the build tomorrow. I've read thru the entire thread. Would I be better off starting with Billy's Specktrum setup right out of the gate, or go with the kit setup minus oils?
It depends on what kind of track you running on. If it's indoor and medium bite then the spektrum is good. If outdoors medium the stock setup is good with just a couple of changes
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not a bad showing for Jorn Neumann at the EOS in Wells. He's showing great potential with his new ride, I think he'll be back on the top spot of the podium very soon. Where are people buying these in the US and who stocks parts. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Not a bad showing for Jorn Neumann at the EOS in Wells. He's showing great potential with his new ride, I think he'll be back on the top spot of the podium very soon. Where are people buying these in the US and who stocks parts. Thanks in advance.
Desoto Racing in Miami
Old 03-29-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Absolute Hobbyz is good as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

I see on Billy's setups he uses longer ackerman and more caster, generally used to calm down steering. The last car I ran was an rb6 and 25deg was the ticket. 30deg made the car not want to turn in. I've read ppl saying there isn't enough steering with the Spectrum setup. Could this be the culprit. I know this isn't the Kyo, but I know most cars, on dirt, run 25ish.

The car is built. A few little bobbles but it went together nicely.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I see on Billy's setups he uses longer ackerman and more caster, generally used to calm down steering. The last car I ran was an rb6 and 25deg was the ticket. 30deg made the car not want to turn in. I've read ppl saying there isn't enough steering with the Spectrum setup. Could this be the culprit. I know this isn't the Kyo, but I know most cars, on dirt, run 25ish.

The car is built. A few little bobbles but it went together nicely.
I always recommend starting with kit setup on any new kit and tune from there. That way you know what each adjustment does. If you go straight to Pro setup. You won't know what they did and why they did. You might even dislike it compared to kit setting. I built mine to kit and found it is a safe starting point. A bit pushy. I enjoy tuning to my liking. This also gives me a refresher on tuning fundamentals. This way I'll know what adj does what and how it feels.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im running the spektrum setup that has been working very well. im curious what guys that are running this setup which tire inserts are working the best for them on smooth indoor clay tracks? im using open cells now but im not sure what would change if i ran closed cells my track is very slick so all the bite i can get helps. thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.