Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:05 AM
  #1966  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
99windy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 203
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post Brass ballast in cars in the UK

Gents,

With the type of surfaces we race on in the UK, the UK serpent team have found that by putting 70 grams under the ESC and receiver helps to plant the car, and also putting weight under the shorty lipo helps even more.

We tend to move the shorty around also to gain or lose steering as needed, a brill tuning aid.

Surfaces in the Uk can range from low grip rubber surfaces to high grip carpet. In the feedback that is posted on various sites there isnt a surface that this car cannot beat. So glad I got one.

Has any off you in the US etc tried putting brass under the receiver/esc yet?if so what are your thoughts?
99windy is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 05:37 AM
  #1967  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
onekiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden but from New Zealand
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Is that with or without the brass/alu bulkhead?
WHy not go for saddles instead?
onekiwi is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM
  #1968  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Can you guys recommend me a 2s battery that works the best for this car, brand and mah rating?

also, how long of run times are you guys averaging?
Seanp0216 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 01:56 PM
  #1969  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,588
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
1&3 are below.

2. I don't know anyone who says saddle has a bigger advantage than a shorty. The benefit of a saddle is higher mAh and better weight balance in some cars. Or just more weight actually.



The heavier side gives more traction. Think about a RM buggy, there's no way that it's more traction in the front. The biggest advantage of MM is better weight balance so less pendulum weight shifts which lead to better corner speeds.

The MM absolutely does not get more rear traction than the RM. That's why the RM is still preferred at outdoor loamy tracks. The higher the traction, the bigger the advantage for the MM buggy as the lack of rear traction is less of an issue of higher bite tracks.

For your wheelbase example, you'll have more steering off-power as the pendulum effect throws all that weight back to the front but not on-power.
Thanks man. You got me to look into more and I got it all straightened out.
snuvet75 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 PM
  #1970  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,588
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
Is that with or without the brass/alu bulkhead?
WHy not go for saddles instead?
Speaking of the bulkhead, I noticed that in lots of set ups from serpent website, they use alu/brass bulkhead. Brass is for weight I got that. What about aluminum? Same reason? I don't know what the weight difference is between alu and stock plastic but I can't imagine alu is so much heavier that it gives more front traction. Or does it?
snuvet75 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 02:36 PM
  #1971  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Seanp0216 View Post
Can you guys recommend me a 2s battery that works the best for this car, brand and mah rating?

also, how long of run times are you guys averaging?
Tell us more. What ESC/motor are you planning to run? What's your intended usage? Do you run it at a track? If so, racing or just driving?

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Speaking of the bulkhead, I noticed that in lots of set ups from serpent website, they use alu/brass bulkhead. Brass is for weight I got that. What about aluminum? Same reason? I don't know what the weight difference is between alu and stock plastic but I can't imagine alu is so much heavier that it gives more front traction. Or does it?
There aren't many people who use the front brass bulkhead. Even Billy Easton seems to recommend against it. I use aluminum for a few reasons.

1. A little more weight.
2. It's stronger than plastic.
3. If you want to change from 25 to either 20 or 30, you'll need either the aluminum or brass bulkhead and the proper hinge pin mount. The plastic piece is fixed.

Here's the weight info:
Plastic bulkhead: 7.1g
Aluminum bulkhead: 14.5g
Brass bulkhead: 41.5g
shagino is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 PM
  #1972  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,588
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
There aren't many people who use the front brass bulkhead. Even Billy Easton seems to recommend against it. I use aluminum for a few reasons.

1. A little more weight.
2. It's stronger than plastic.
3. If you want to change from 25 to either 20 or 30, you'll need either the aluminum or brass bulkhead and the proper hinge pin mount. The plastic piece is fixed.

Here's the weight info:
Plastic bulkhead: 7.1g
Aluminum bulkhead: 14.5g
Brass bulkhead: 41.5g
Thanks again shagino. Does the bulkhead change caster angle?
snuvet75 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
  #1973  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Thanks again shagino. Does the bulkhead change caster angle?
No prob. There's inserts to do that. The plastic is fixed at 25 and the inserts in the aluminum/brass bulkhead allow +/-5. Just remember, you also need the proper hinge pin holder. Sucks to have to get that too.

There's also 0/2.5/5 that can be added in the hubs.
shagino is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
  #1974  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
Tell us more. What ESC/motor are you planning to run? What's your intended usage? Do you run it at a track? If so, racing or just driving?



There aren't many people who use the front brass bulkhead. Even Billy Easton seems to recommend against it. I use aluminum for a few reasons.

1. A little more weight.
2. It's stronger than plastic.
3. If you want to change from 25 to either 20 or 30, you'll need either the aluminum or brass bulkhead and the proper hinge pin mount. The plastic piece is fixed.

Here's the weight info:
Plastic bulkhead: 7.1g
Aluminum bulkhead: 14.5g
Brass bulkhead: 41.5g

Thank you Shagino

I will be using the 120a hobby wing xenon with the xenon 8.5t motor. I will be racing at my LHS indoor on med-high traction.

Do you have any other recommendations for a motor/esc combo?

also, what servo would me best? any ideas? budget is not really an issue, i just want something that should last me along time.

thanks again, i appreciate the info. Me and a buddy of mine are switching from 4wd 1/8th buggy to 2wd 1/10th so I'm trying to do it right! Serpent sounds really good, I've read about 110 pages pages of this forum since last night.
Seanp0216 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
  #1975  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,588
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
No prob. There's inserts to do that. The plastic is fixed at 25 and the inserts in the aluminum/brass bulkhead allow +/-5. Just remember, you also need the proper hinge pin holder. Sucks to have to get that too.

There's also 0/2.5/5 that can be added in the hubs.
Can I get the part number for the hinge pin holders? Do I need those even with alu bulkhead and inserts too? Oh and I meant to ask if the bulkhead changes caster or kickup or both. Just hard to know w/o the actual car LOL
snuvet75 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
  #1976  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (76)
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,352
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

I personally use a savox 1258 servo. And if your budget allows it's hard to beat a orion r10 or r10.1 and vst2 8.5
tony montana is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
  #1977  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
I personally use a savox 1258 servo. And if your budget allows it's hard to beat a orion r10 or r10.1 and vst2 8.5


Thanks Tony, that might be a little above budget I didn't even know a 1/10th esc could be 250$ that's nuts!

I'm looking for a combo around 200$ or so and was considering the xenon hobbywing

Also, what battery would be best for the serpent? As far as mah and brand..


What spare parts should I order ahead of time?

I appreciate all that you can do, I'm new to rc tech and this is a great forum, you guys are really
Insightful and quick to respond!
Seanp0216 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM
  #1978  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Seanp0216 View Post
also, what servo would me best? any ideas? budget is not really an issue, i just want something that should last me along time.

thanks again, i appreciate the info. Me and a buddy of mine are switching from 4wd 1/8th buggy to 2wd 1/10th so I'm trying to do it right! Serpent sounds really good, I've read about 110 pages pages of this forum since last night.
No prob. The Spektrum S6040 is a good value servo. I'm using a Futaba BLS451 now. I hear they've been discontinued though.

Welcome to the club. Make sure you read the FAQ that I put together. You're probablt close to finding it if you haven't already. If you're on FB, join the Serpent Spyder group there. It's way better than this forum.
shagino is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM
  #1979  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 3,673
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Can I get the part number for the hinge pin holders? Do I need those even with alu bulkhead and inserts too? Oh and I meant to ask if the bulkhead changes caster or kickup or both. Just hard to know w/o the actual car LOL
Yeah, you absolutely need them for the aluminum bulkhead.

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...9&cat=0&page=1

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...0&cat=0&page=1

Well, it's really kick up but it also changes caster. The hinge pins angle changes when it's done at the bulkhead.
shagino is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 PM
  #1980  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
No prob. The Spektrum S6040 is a good value servo. I'm using a Futaba BLS451 now. I hear they've been discontinued though.

Welcome to the club. Make sure you read the FAQ that I put together. You're probablt close to finding it if you haven't already. If you're on FB, join the Serpent Spyder group there. It's way better than this forum.
I will definitely check it out on FB, can you direct me to the faq?

Last question, as far as batteries are concerned, what ones do you recommend? As far as mah, brand and discharge rate?
Seanp0216 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.