Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im hoping someone could help me with what setup to use on a med bite loose indoor track to get the most bite and steering out of this car? the box setup fast stock setup or a drivers setup? hope someone might know from testing them. im running mod.thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
im hoping someone could help me with what setup to use on a med bite loose indoor track to get the most bite and steering out of this car? the box setup fast stock setup or a drivers setup? hope someone might know from testing them. im running mod.thanks
Same kind of track I'm going to this weekend. Smooth/rough and loose to med at best.. I'm gonna start with kit setup and the right tires.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The biggest thing on slick and/or bumpy track is to decrease the pack (bigger holes in the piston) in the rear shocks. On a straight slick track hubs forward is good but on a bumpy track I typically like hubs middle vs moving them forward. Really need to just test that and see what you like.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I ran the spectrum setup on a med grip dusty track and it was great. Dirt webs with the inserts are good, also ran the 2.4 wheels.

now going to try an r1 werks motor and need to get more batteries, it's getting fun to drive, now need more speed!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
Here's the deal Digger: there is no magic set-up that we can tell you that will make you as fast as the top guys. They are fast because they know what to change and why. Us telling you what to run may work one day, but when temp, dirt, watering, number of entries etc changes, so will that set-up and they will know what to alter to get that traction back, will you? This is where testing, trying, failing, re-trying etc can not be learned on a forum of guys across the country. I learned (still learning) the same way as well as most of the guys who are here trying to help you. We want to help as much as we can, but we aren't there with your Tx in hand feeling it. Not trying to be dis-respectful or insulting in any way, so I hope you don't take it that way.. You will be using a lot of your time trying different set-ups until one day you hit a bulls-eye. Or..anyone of the set-ups you see can be altered to work. They are a little different, but starting with one of them and changing things around will bring you to your own set-up, and you will learn a lot in the process..
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The kit setup is close on a loose track.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If you don't know really how to setup a car, then go look at the xray setup book. I keep it downloaded in my phone and it helps a ton. Another thing, I see alot of guys struggling with cars and alot of it is how they have there esc settings are out of whack
Old 02-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default setup

[QUOTE=Chr1s;13851251]The kit setup is close on a loose track.[/QUO
Old 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Im pretty close. I added 5deg of caster and have the front hubs with both shims up top. Oils might be slightly different. sometimes i use a softer front spring depending on grip
Old 02-16-2015, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Smile Set ups

Gents,

I run the car in the Uk and our grip levels are a lot different to the US, especially as we dont race on dirt/clay tracks. The majority of our outside tracks are astroturf, which can give insane grip. But over the winter we are indoors depending on the venue it can be carpet or low/med grip(well we call it low/med grip) rubber tracks.

I started with Billy Eastons Spektrum set up and found it to push a little for me, so a few tweaks and I am away. It was as simple as moving shorty and moving shocks a little, but the rest is as per Billy's set up.

On the FB page this seems to be the best starting point for most people and then tune it for you local track. As said earlier the type of help that you get from Billy and Mike Truhe is unheard of in the UK, but the help and advice from them and others on the FB site is second to none. These drivers all now there stuff and although won't know the tracks, they can give you some very simple pointers in the right direction. I cannot recommend joining the group, it just seems to be very active and helpful. Especially for you drivers in the US, and even with the time difference great for European drivers.

This is just my 2 cents worth,
Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
If you don't know really how to setup a car, then go look at the xray setup book. I keep it downloaded in my phone and it helps a ton. Another thing, I see alot of guys struggling with cars and alot of it is how they have there esc settings are out of whack
Interesting you bring this up. Is there any guides (official or user created here) that goes into how to properly setup an esc? I have one guy say he runs drag brake while another says he runs 0. One guy runs esc brakes 100 and turns down the radio epa while another has them both mixed. Where/how do you start to get a properly setup esc?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
Interesting you bring this up. Is there any guides (official or user created here) that goes into how to properly setup an esc? I have one guy say he runs drag brake while another says he runs 0. One guy runs esc brakes 100 and turns down the radio epa while another has them both mixed. Where/how do you start to get a properly setup esc?
These are are driver dependent. A lot of these features weren't around when I got back into the hobby. You need to test and see how you like it. Personally, I've settled on 20% drag brake. The better you are on brakes, the less you need drag brake.

I run my brakes at 100% on the ESC but turn it down on the radio as well.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Received a few questions via PM. Thought better to answer them publicly

[On] a med bite track at best very loose hard packed clay/dirt indoor small tight track running M4 electrons. I'm looking for more steering and bite. Can u please tell me what i can change to make these better I'm using the box stock setup? What pistons or springs to use etc?
Without ever racing at your local track it's honestly impossible to tell you exactly what to do. I can only give you generals. Tires are #1. After tires are correct you can tune the suspension. This is where testing, good practice, and note taking will benefit.

My suggestion is to do this: Go one weekend with the box stock setup, note how it feels, laptimes, track conditions, things it did well, things it did bad. 2nd weekend build the car with a different posted setup. The spectrum setup from Billy would be a good start, it is easy to drive, works in multiple conditions. Also try it without the front aluminum pivot and with plastic steering rack. 3rd weekend, try another setup, that has a different approach. At the of the 3rd weekend you'll have tried 3 different setups and have a good idea which one you liked. After those exercises put on the best and make absolutely one change at a time from there.

Now when you do this, I cannot stress enough tires have to be 100% on point for the conditions and you absolutely have to build the car exactly as listed on the setup sheet. Everything is done on purpose and it all works together. For example: I have many guys tell me they are trying a setup and then complain it's not working, they bring me the car and I note 5 "small" differences immediately that they thought was non-important, we then "fix" those 5 things and the car is immediately better.

Will a brick pack help more than a shorty pack?
In my experience, I'm faster 95% of the time, with a shorty between the middle to full back vs a saddle on all conditions. I do try a saddle pack on every new layout I see. When I try it I usually increase dampening by 25cst all around to control the additional weight.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
As shagino said, it's driver dependent. I would start soft on power and experiment. I run very little drag brake, usually 6-12% and run between 70-90% push brake.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

One reason I run a orion r10 is because all the pro that run it post their esc setups. I didn't have a clue at first when I got into 1/10 on how these adjustments work. I personally run the 2011 Dustin Evans reedy race setup and made small adjustments from there. One of the first adjustments I make if I have my car a little loose is I take away some drag brake and go to a lower punch setting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.