Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

late..........

awesome little buggy
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 AM
a2t
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
Those are actually metal and were designed to help right the vehicle when it rolled over. The Frog and some other Tamiya buggies were equipped with these.
ahh good idea, saves the body too I bet, during a roll over.

we are not running any antennae, there isnt even much of a wire coming off the receiver for it. doesnt seem to be an issue, it can run as far as you can see.

maybe it would be an issue if in crowded RC space though?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great story....wanna do the same with my 8 year old
Old 12-21-2015, 06:00 AM
a2t
Tech Initiate

update after 2 yrs of ownership

this little hotshot still works great. We have broken quite a few parts, mainly front a arms and gearbox. The body and wing are getting pretty ragged at this point too. Tires now almost completely worn, but it gets used quite a bit and is holding up great. Much better than I expected.

We have taken it onto the beach several times, its really capable with the 4wd and the sand hasnt hurt it 1 bit. Also drive it in rain/water. No issues, its well sealed.

Overall this is a good basher but didnt do well at the local track as the mono shocks are no where near strong enough to keep the heavy car from bottoming on big jumps. The super hotshot would be a smarter choice here, and go with heavier shock springs and fluid for jumping.

Anyways, just a quick chime in here to update !
Old 12-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So awesome!
My 10 y.o. got his first car last Christmas. We're on our 5th car now and we both race every weekend.

P.S. I'm a machinist, because engineers need hero's too.
LOL!
Happy Holidays!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

Nice ! That looks somewhat more serious than a Hotshot ! Glad to see him into it, wish I had a local track to take my son to. The nearest 1 is very very serious, his hotshot (with him driving) could take out a $1K car and those guys didnt look too happy when he showed up ... we need to find a more kid oriented track !

mad props on being a machinist. This hobby got me onto the mechanical engineering path some 30 or so years ago. I hope it has same effect for my son. Ive worked with plenty of machinists who have saved my ass when I screwed up a drawing or 2. Plus you guys can actually make stuff, we can only draw it !
Old 12-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My son is very mechanically inclined and loves computers. I'm pushing for engineering because that's where the money is but machinist is a fun job.

And screw them guys! If your boy has interest in racing then race! They all started in the same place and they're all just toy cars. If there's no beginner/novice class your local track is NOT promoting the sport properly.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 10 year old and I just built a re re fox. Now we each have one. A newer one and my 1985 special. We race them together at the local dirt track and the experience can't be beat. That said, he now has a slash for club racing. Not a kit but it is indestructible. He still prefers the fox as he built it from scratch but hates it when it breaks.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

Sweet, I loved the Fox, I remember my neighbor had 1 and used to kill us driving Frogs and Hornets. His parents had more $ than mine

Our local track is called http://hotshotrc.com/

Its pretty serious stuff, 50 mph cars jumping 5' over triples. Amazing to watch but not the place for a kid at all. Or maybe we just went on the wrong day?

I keep thinking I'll have the time to call my local town and ask if we can take over a gym or auditorium on a Sunday afternoon for indoor RC races. Im really surprised there isnt more around metro Atlanta for RC.

And there really is something to be said for working with your kids to build up the kit from scratch. They would have zero idea the complexity that goes into them, and thus not feel bad about smashing it to pieces. So much to learn about electronics and also about design. He had no idea what a swaybar was or what it did. Sadly it doesnt do much on the Hotshot but the idea is there ! Spring rates, dampening fluid weight, piston designs. Im sure its over his head a bit, I coulda picked an easier car. But Hotshot was what I always wanted

Cant wait until my RC10B4.2 gets here tomorrow or so. Im sure my kid will want to drive that, I might inherit the Hotshot and thats not entirely bad. Would be fun to mod it and dark horse that local track hahaha. No chance of that ..