Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lite weight ebuggy options and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone try the turnigy 4 pole 540 size motors yet. Just curious how they are.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

To just add thought.. I have a converted 810 running a Tekin 2650 on 3S, 4S is a little tall for the body I have... I use it to play on an indoor track. I also have a converted TEN-T with a Tekin 2250, I run it on 3S as that is the most fun, but on 4S it is just stupid fast. If you want to run against 1:8 scale setups I with a SCTE platform I can say first hand that both of these work very very well to deliver more than enough power.

Also, is the MIP conversion kit for the SCTE an option for you.. it is more than just a pretty face, it does straighten out the drive line a bit taking some load off of things, it also sheds some weight and lowers the CG a bit.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by BillyT.
I love the idea of these things. I think it should be a 2 cell class though, otherwise, why bother?
Because 4S is much more efficient and nicer on your electronics than 2S. Limiting the voltage is sort of backwards, if people are concerned about speed indoors, they need to use the proper kV motor to limit the setup.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

right... I'm on board with that, and in SCT, I think it might the direction it needs to go with the way that class is headed. (I'm switching to 5 cell in my truggy, so I get what you are saying)

But why bother building one of these to run on 4 cell. Why not just run a normal 1/8th buggy. Making a lightweight buggy, then sticking a heavy 4 cell in it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? To me, it just isn't in the spirit of what this car can be... That said, I'd be fine with it being an open class... But the car I build will be 2 cell... Otherwise, you just have a fragile e-buggy.

Running a 3800-4000 kv motor on 2 cell in a light weight buggy isn't really gonna stress the electronics too much anyway. And will be plenty of power for most indoor tracks. Hell, I was getting drug down the straight in my 2 cell mugen, but was still turning faster laps.

Really though, my aversion isn't to the voltage, it's to the heavy 4 cell pack. I'd run a 2500 4 cell pack if it would give me the run time...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

right... I'm on board with that, and in SCT, I think it might the direction it needs to go with the way that class is headed. (I'm switching to 5 cell in my truggy, so I get what you are saying)

But why bother building one of these to run on 4 cell. Why not just run a normal 1/8th buggy. Making a lightweight buggy, then sticking a heavy 4 cell in it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? To me, it just isn't in the spirit of what this car can be... That said, I'd be fine with it being an open class... But the car I build will be 2 cell... Otherwise, you just have a fragile e-buggy.

Running a 3800-4000 kv motor on 2 cell in a light weight buggy isn't really gonna stress the electronics too much anyway. And will be plenty of power for most indoor tracks. Hell, I was getting drug down the straight in my 2 cell mugen, but was still turning faster laps.

Really though, my aversion isn't to the voltage, it's to the heavy 4 cell pack. I'd run a 2500 4 cell pack if it would give me the run time...
4s 2500mah = 2s 5000mah...

I see 4x4 fry there electronics all the time because someone thought it was a good idea to limit them to 2s. At the very least they get way to hot and can barely make 10min.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

why not split difference and run 3s/3000ish Kv?

I've driven a few 2s power light weight E-buggies. Even though they are extremely controllable power wise, every single one of them seem to feel almost "too lite", where the tires couldn't generate enough grip due to the lack of weight or lack of suspension roll (sprung weight/unsprung weight out of balance maybe?)

my local indoor track is on the smaller side 95' x 60' so far my favorite E-buggy set up has been 4s shorties and tekin t8i 1600kv motor.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nv529

I've driven a few 2s power light weight E-buggies. Even though they are extremely controllable power wise, every single one of them seem to feel almost "too lite", where the tires couldn't generate enough grip due to the lack of weight or lack of suspension roll (sprung weight/unsprung weight out of balance maybe?)

my local indoor track is on the smaller side 95' x 60' so far my favorite E-buggy set up has been 4s shorties and tekin t8i 1600kv motor.
Why not make it open so people can run what they want...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

I did put a 2800 on 3 cell in that mugen, and it never felt as good as the 2 cell setup with the shorter can motor. Just too much power in the middle. The 2 cell setup was extremely smooth, easy to drive, just pinned everywhere.

That sounds like a killer setup for a regular e-buggy on a smaller track.

Originally Posted by whitrzac
4s 2500mah = 2s 5000mah...
:
That's pretty optimistic...

Usually see maybe a 1/3 more run time. Not twice as much. A 2500mah 4 cell pack isn't going to run 10 minutes from my experience. 4 cell 5000s won't typically run 20, more like 15-17... All the guys here have to run 6500 plus to make 20 minutes.

I guess my thought process, stems from the fact that the track I would run this kind of car at only runs 6 minute heats and mains(which a 2500 mah 4 cell would easily make). But they most likely aren't going to see the difference between one of these cars with a 4 cell and a small can 1900 and a normal 1/8th scale e-buggy which they won't let on the track.

Hell, the people I keep talking to about this class that I race with on a regular basis don't see why anyone would want to build one of these anyway. ha ha.

I'm way down for the concept. I just think i would be the only person here running one.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

How small is your track?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

not sure of dimensions... it's a 20 second lap though. 6-8 foot lanes, pretty small jumps relative to what I am used to.

I usually run outside...
Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

not sure of dimensions... it's a 20 second lap though. 6-8 foot lanes, pretty small jumps relative to what I am used to.

I usually run outside...
20 second laps with 8th scale? At our indoor track A-main 8th scale run anywhere from 15 to 18 seconds per lap on 8 foot lanes.

This isn't the current layout, but this will give you an idea of size.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I've attached a photo from last night's race results. On a good night, the top 5-7 guys are within 1-3 tenths of second apart from each per lap. Racing is really close, one bobble during qualifying with cost you 2 positions easily.
Attached Thumbnails lite weight ebuggy options and questions-12032013_page_3.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

20 second laps with 8th scale?
well they don't let 1/8 run there so I have no idea... SCT runs 20s, just going off that. I ran 20s with my dex410, fast 2wd guys run 19s...
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

That's pretty optimistic...
Mr. Ohm was very exact when he wrote his formulas...

My experience has been the opposite. I get longer run times watt for watt when running higher voltage.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

My reason for the light weight buggies is because the ebuggies are just plain nuts and out of control. Several tracks in my area have banned them from running indoors. I want to see if the lighter buggies will work and if so hopefully the class can build some steam and be allowed at more tracks. I use the winter to tuneup my skills for summer outdoor so i would like to be able to run buggy at the closest track to my house instead of having to drive 2 hours. The way it sits now ebuggies have to much power and weight to be safely run indoors.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
My reason for the light weight buggies is because the ebuggies are just plain nuts and out of control. Several tracks in my area have banned them from running indoors. I want to see if the lighter buggies will work and if so hopefully the class can build some steam and be allowed at more tracks. I use the winter to tuneup my skills for summer outdoor so i would like to be able to run buggy at the closest track to my house instead of having to drive 2 hours. The way it sits now ebuggies have to much power and weight to be safely run indoors.
It sounds like you want 4wd buggies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.