R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MOJOE300
Default 4wd class, what do you think??

Hey guys I wanted to say a little something about the 4 wheel class and see what you all think. I have stated this once before but I will once again since I am starting this thread. I have been racing R/C cars since 1986, sponsored briefly around 1988-90. I have seen many cars come and go. I have also built and raced many cars. 4 wheel was my favorite, I was always fascinated by their designs, and how they evolved. My first 4 wheel car was a yokomo dogfighter, and then an optima, then the first schumacher cat.(short wheelbase). Since then I have raced and built mostly all of the top competition 4 wheel cars, from my rc10 mip 4 wheel car, to my predator, to my tomy intruder ex, to my lazer zxs, and finally to my losi xx4.The arguement back then is similiar to the one we have now. They cost alot to maintain, but can I say something in favor of this great class? Today the cars pretty much awesome, they are definitely much more durable than the older cars. It was also expensive as far as an extra class, extra motors, batteries, tires, and so on. But nowadays these cars are very very durable, and they handle great! I think we need to credit our RC car manufacturers with this, I dont think we give them the credit they deserve. I for one love 4 wheel drive cars, and I always will. Im hooked on this hobby since 1986 and I dont think I will ever give it up! Thanks to the manufacturers for making these cars. We just need to get 4 wheel back and off road in general. Im not putting down touring cars, I love them too, theres nothing like them but we need more offroad! I just felt like writing a little something today, I hope you guys enjoyed what I wrote, and please add to it I would love to read what you guys think.....JOE
MOJOE300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Tech Regular

4wd has always been my favorite class since my first xx4, I can only hope that the xxx-4 will bring the class back
007yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Me too yoshi. It is such an awesome class! Who knows you never know....
Old 09-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

P.S. I forgot to mention all the other cars in between the ones I mentioned, that I have built and raced. I think my favorite 4wheel car was my yokomo yz10 worlds, that car was awesome, then again its a toss up with the 93 works car. That car was faaast when I ran it.....Oh the memories........lol
Old 09-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Sounds like fun, never had the oportunity to run one. I think I will wait for AE to make one.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:49 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I will always love my optima mid custom special. great handling
kino2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:50 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

people have been waiting for AE to make one for YEARS now. If you seriously want to get into 4wd offroad pick up a xx4 or get a xxx4 when it comes out soon.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

I have three Optima series car (ol skool ones) plus a ZX Sport, unbuild ZXR and about to purchase ZXRR. I raced once in a Boomerang and I have not looked elsewhere from 4WD except for touring cars...but they're too are 4WD.

Tamiya and Kyosho need to wakeup cuz they're due to release their respectable 4WD ever since their touring program has peaked (at least for Tamiya it did) or in Kyosho case...they never really belonged in touring cars anyway LMAO.

I'm trying to build a 4WD buggy out of Tamiya TA04 and maybe Tb01 too cuz these Off Road pioneer companies (without Frog..there wouldn't be RC10 buggies...trust me) need someone to spank their buttocks and hose them down with ice cold water!!

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:47 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Hey Fabulous rc, I loved racing my original wheelbase optima mid back in the day, it was awesome with the trinity graphite saddle pack chassis. Then the long wheelbase kit came out, and it ran awesome. But back then I was a schumacher man, running my schumacher cat with again the trinity "butterfly" chassis kit, that car was what I used to win my first regional with. I was known around as a "schumacher only" racer, remember the first 2 wheel car they made? The Topcat? I still have a brand new one in the box here, it ran ok at the time but the inboard shock design quickly changed into the first cougar. Speaking of Lazers, I have a brand new built Lazer ZXS, its from 1995. Derek Furutani and Greg Hodapp used that car in the 95 worlds at yatabe arena to make the A main, which Mark Pavidis won with a yokomo yz10 worlds car, one of my favorite cars I raced. Speaking of a 4 wheel associated car, I raced a MIP converted rc10 back then also, at first it was chain drive and needed ALOT of attention to make it run right, but it did run good. Then the belt conversion came out for it, and then later on he (eustace moore) made a new kit called the "legend" based on the Stealth tranny and it was belt drive, it ran better, but in my opinion never could keep up with schumacher cats, mids, or yz10's of the day. Ahhh the memories of back in the day... Sorry if I get a little nostalgic guys, It was a great time back then, and still is now....I just miss the 4 wheel rivalry, hopefully it will come back.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Spongebob, you dont know what you are missing, go out and get one. The xx4 worlds car is a great car and a great buy, also the yokomo mr4bc is a great car, it just needs some more mods to make it competitive. But if your looking to try 4wheel its a great buy. Actually I dont know if they are available here anymore, you would have to find a hobby shop that still has a few, which im sure there still are . I know yokomo produced a new mr4bc kit, but I dont know if its available here. Im sure one of the guys would be able to tell you more,and another thought would be to wait for the XXX4, that should be tremendous. Good luck with it if you decide on getting one....Joe
Old 09-05-2002, 11:15 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I saw that a new yokomo mr-4 BC was released recently for Asia only. It has, over the us released kit, threaded hard anodized shocks, longer wheelbase chassis thats 3000 compatible, and full bearings. There could be other upgrades but thats all I could make out.
007yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Info on the MR-4BC Factory Edition is here on my site
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally posted by MOJOE300
Hey Fabulous rc, I loved racing my original wheelbase optima mid back in the day, it was awesome with the trinity graphite saddle pack chassis. Then the long wheelbase kit came out, and it ran awesome. But back then I was a schumacher man, running my schumacher cat with again the trinity "butterfly" chassis kit, that car was what I used to win my first regional with. I was known around as a "schumacher only" racer, remember the first 2 wheel car they made? The Topcat? I still have a brand new one in the box here, it ran ok at the time but the inboard shock design quickly changed into the first cougar. Speaking of Lazers, I have a brand new built Lazer ZXS, its from 1995. Derek Furutani and Greg Hodapp used that car in the 95 worlds at yatabe arena to make the A main, which Mark Pavidis won with a yokomo yz10 worlds car, one of my favorite cars I raced. Speaking of a 4 wheel associated car, I raced a MIP converted rc10 back then also, at first it was chain drive and needed ALOT of attention to make it run right, but it did run good. Then the belt conversion came out for it, and then later on he (eustace moore) made a new kit called the "legend" based on the Stealth tranny and it was belt drive, it ran better, but in my opinion never could keep up with schumacher cats, mids, or yz10's of the day. Ahhh the memories of back in the day... Sorry if I get a little nostalgic guys, It was a great time back then, and still is now....I just miss the 4 wheel rivalry, hopefully it will come back.
I'm buying ZXRR soon. Someone sold me for cheap and I guess he didn't know what kind of chassis it was. What's the difference between RR and S other than the body, man? I'm trying to get the heat sink motor plate, the one way systems (diff and pulley), alu steer bellcrank (for the ZXR), and remember the colorful molded wing bro? I had one in my first ZXR before I sold it and now I could only find the white and yellow ones (it's TR15's). I ask around at ebay and they though I was crazy!!

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:18 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Well I never heard of an RR, only the ZXR, but if you like I can sendyou a pic of my ZXS,so you can compare. The ZXS is almost completely different from the ZXR, except for the a arms, and a few other pieces. The ZXS' tranny halves are made of carbon fiber and sandwich the belt pulley and the diff. The front gearbox is in halves and has a clear lexan cover to see into it. Various other suspension changes were made. Its a completely different car. They have a new Lazer ZXS evolution in japan available. Thats the current car. Email me for pics of mine or let me know how I can post the pic on here. Oh yeah, my ZXS came with Losi shocks, standard, not threaded, and they come with the gold shock shafts, it comes with titanium turnbuckles, yokomo yz10 wheel adaptors. Carbon fiber upper and chassis plates. Carbon fiber battery straps, and fiberglass towers. The car originally sold for 650 something when it came into the usa back in 97, tower was selling it. I waited till it went down to 450!! and I bought it. I had to have it. Oh and the body is off of the Optima mid special, its not the lazer ZXR body. Email me at [email protected] for the pics....
Old 09-06-2002, 06:37 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

I forgot you asked about the colored wing. Yokomo made them, what color are you looking for? They came in pink, orange, white, black, green. You might still be able to get them from Yokomo usa, or try Ultimate Hobbies. As far as the one ways, the ZXR and ZXS come with them. I have a heatsink motor mount on my ZXR, I forgot who made it, also my ZXR has aluminum everything as far as suspension mounts and I have the aluminum steering assembly on mine, again Email me for the pics I will take some for you. Both of my cars, and all of my show cars are brand new and PRISTINE. NOT A SCRATCH ANYWHERE. I am a fanatic with my show cars. If you need any help with your Lazer or parts, I have almost another extra zxr in parts. So let me know..Joe