1/8 motor choice ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 motor choice ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Only racing here. I would say for bashing trying to do high speed runs is all about how long your gonna run, throw a big pinion on and sure it will hit 70mph but it will be heating up the motor in no time. If you want to run for longer time without toasting the electronics you will have to gear it correctly. Most people bashing would use the 2650 since it will have a higher possible top speed. I'm not sure you can gear a 1900 to do 70 unless you change spurs and pinions in our 1/8 buggies but racing you rarely hit 35-40 so none of that matters to us.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobrkr
Good read! As for me getting crazy, no not yet.lol The point I have been trying to make is that one motor is not the best choice for everyone and not that one is more efficient then the other. I don't want the OP to feel pressure to have to buy a tekin 1900kv motor. I actually don't like any of tekins products and will never own any. If you don't feel that lightened drive train part help you then no problem. You don't have to buy them or tell people to buy them.
Your link does not change my mind on using a higher kv motor. It does make me want to look at my gearing a little closer to see if a different pinion would work better.
I'm just trying to help clarify misconceptions about some things. Wasn't trying to change your mind on your motor choice, it works for you and that's all that matters. But the op sounded fairly new to 1/8 scale. I've seen a lot of newer guys come to the track with high kV motors and end up in frustration and never come back. Whether it's a cooked motor from incorrect gearing, puffed batteries, or way too much power for their skill level. There are some guys that love the 2650 and do fine with it, but they're definitely in the minority. Almost like recommending a 3.5 to someone just getting into 4 wheel buggy. Will it work? Yes. Is it going to work well for what they want to do? Probably not.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Yea and I think he mentioned for a small to medium track and a 2650 would not be good at all for that. The 2650 works for a few and they have to usually baby the trigger. Everything he said above is pretty much what happens everywhere. Yea a few will like a 2650 but for most it is not the best choice. He already has a 2050 and that's what I'd be running if I didn't have the 1900. I like the Y winds also seem to run 10-20 cooler but maybe that's just me
Yes I would pick Tekin for 1/8 scale more than likely, great company and if you have any issue they will take care of it. I have had them hand me brand new motor or ESC or fix it right at the track we were racing on when one of there guys was there. Even during the ROAR Nationals they took time from working on there stuff to look at any issues and repair or replace for you.
For 1/10 short course 4x4 I have found the Hobbywing Systems as good as any and they run cooler.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slow_jun
I think so